手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 双语有声读物 > 苔丝 > 正文

有声读物《苔丝》第3期:处女(3)

来源:可可英语 编辑:mike   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码可进行跟读训练
  下载MP3到电脑  [F8键暂停/播放]   批量下载MP3到手机

Life now became rather difficult for the Durbeyfields.

德北一家的生活陷入了困境。

Without Prince to carry loads,John Durbeyfield could not buy and sell as he used to.

没有“王子”运货,约翰·德北就不能像过去那样做买卖了。

He had never worked hard or regularly,and now he only occasionally felt like working.

他从来没有坚持卖力地干过活儿,现在也就偶尔才会想找点活儿干。

Tess wondered how she could help her parents.One day her mother made a suggestion.

苔丝琢磨着怎样才能帮上父母的忙。一天,她母亲提出了一个建议。

‘It's lucky we've found out about your noble blood,Tess.

“苔丝,得知你有高贵的血统是件幸运的事。

Do you know there's a very rich lady called Mrs d’Urberville living on the other side of the wood?

你知道在林子那头儿有位非常有钱的德伯太太吗?

She must be our relation.

她准是我们的亲戚。

You must go to her and claim relationship with her,and ask for same help in our trouble.’

你应当上她那儿去,说明和她的亲戚关系。就说我们处境困难,请求她帮帮忙。”

‘I wouldn't like to do that,’said Tess.

“我不愿做这种事,”苔丝说,

‘If there is such a lady,it would be enough to be friendly.We can't expect help from her.’

“如果真有这么一位太太,只要她对我们友善,就足够了。我们不能指望从她那儿得到帮助。”

‘You could persuade anybody,my dear.

“你能打动任何人,亲爱的。

Besides,something else might happen.You never know.’And her mother nodded wisely.

而且,也许会有别的什么你意想不到的事儿发生呢。”她母亲自作聪明地点着头。

‘I'd rather try to get work,’said Tess sadly.

“我宁愿去找工作。”苔丝伤心地说。

‘What do you say,Durbeyfield?’said his wife,turning to him.

“你认为怎样,德北?”妻子转向丈夫,问道。

‘I don't like my children asking for help,’said he proudly.'

“我不愿意我的孩子去求别人帮助。”他骄傲地说,

I'm the head of the oldest branch of the family and a noble family like ours shouldn't have to ask for help.’Tess could not accept his reasons for not going.

“我是这个家族里最古老的一房的家长,像我们这样高贵的家庭是不应该求助于人的。”他的这些不让去的理由让苔丝无法接受。

‘Well,as I killed the horse,mother,I suppose I ought to go.But don't start thinking about her finding a husband for me.

“好吧,妈,是我害死了马,我想我该去一趟。不过别指望她会替我找个丈夫。”

‘Who said I had such an idea?’asked Joan innocently.

“谁说我这么想啦?”琼显得很无辜地问道。

‘I know you,mother.But I'll go.’

“我知道你怎么想,妈。不过,我会去的。”

Next morning Tess walked to Shaston,a town she hardly knew,and went on by waggon to Trantridge.

第二天早晨,苔丝步行到夏斯顿,一个她很陌生的城镇,然后搭上一辆马车前往纯瑞脊。

The Vale of Blackmoor was her only world, and she had never been far outside the valley.

黑荒野山谷是苔丝生活的整个世界,她从来没有远离过那个山谷。

All the knowledge she had came from her lessons in the village school,which she had left a year or two earlier.

她一两年前离开了村里的学校,她所有的知识就是从那儿的课上学来的。

As soon as she left school she had tried to earn a little money by helping in the fields or milking cows or making butter.

一离开学校,她就在地里帮着干活,挤牛奶或是做黄油,靠这些来挣点小钱。

She blamed her mother for thoughtlessly producing so many children.

她责怪母亲不加考虑地生了那么多孩子。

Joan Durbeyfield was like a child herself, and never thought about the future.

而琼·德北自己还像个孩子似的,从不为将来打算。

It was Tess who worried and worked and felt responsible for her little brothers and sisters.

倒是苔丝又操心又干活,觉得对弟弟妹妹们负有责任。

So naturally it was Tess who should represent her family at the d’Urberville home.

因此,很自然地,她就要作为家庭代表前往德伯家。

From Trantridge she walked up a hill,and turning a corner,saw the house.

到了纯瑞脊,苔丝爬上了一个小山坡,拐过一个弯后,就看到了一座房子。

She stoppd in amazement.It was large and almost new, a rich red against the green of the bushes around it.

她诧异地停住了脚步。这是一座很大而且几乎全新的艳红色房子,被绿色灌木围绕着。

Behind it lay the woods called The Chase, an ancient forest.

在它后面是一片叫做逐猎林的树林,这是一片原始森林。

There were greenhouses and well-kept gardens.

还有温室花房和保养得很好的花园。

There was no lack of money here. Tess hesitated, almost frightened.

这里是不会缺钱的。苔丝踌躇着,几乎有些惊恐不安了。

‘I thought we were an old family!’she said to herself,‘but this is all new!’She wished she had not come.

“我还以为我们是古老的家族呢,”她自言自语道,“但这儿都是全新的!”她真希望她没来。

She was right in a way.All this was owned by the d’Urbervilles,or the Stoke-d’Urbervilles as they called themselves at first.

在某些方面她是想对了。这一切都归德伯,或如他们最初称呼自己的那样,归斯托克—德伯家所有。

The Stokes were a northern business family who took an old-sounding name to add to their own when they moved into the south.

斯托克是北部一个经商的家庭,当他们迁居到南方时,就给自己加了一个听起来古老高贵的姓氏。

So Tess was more of a d’Urberville than any of them, but did not know it.

因此,比起他们中的任何人来,苔丝都更有资格是德伯家族的一员,但对此她一无所知。

A young man appeared in the garden.

一个年轻人从花园里走了出来。

He looked about twenty-four, and was tall and dark, with full red lips and a black moustache curled at the ends.

他看起来有二十四岁左右,高大,黝黑,嘴唇肥厚红润,留着打卷的唇髭。

‘Well,my beauty,what can I do for you?’he said, looking interestedly at her.‘I'm Mr d’Urberville.’

“喂,我的美人儿,我能为你效劳吗?”他说道,一边颇有兴趣地看着她。“我是德伯先生。”

It needed all Tess's courage to reply.‘I came to see your mother,sir.’

苔丝鼓足了所有的勇气,回答道:“我是来看望你母亲的,先生。”

‘I'm afraid you can't see her. She's ill.What do you want to see her about?’

“恐怕你不能见她,她病了。你见她有什么事儿吗?”

‘I…I…it seems so foolish!’

“我……我……这事显得太傻了!”

‘Never mind,’said he kindly.‘I like foolish things.Try again,my dear.’

“不要紧,”他温和地说,“我就爱听傻事儿。说吧,亲爱的。”

‘I came,sir,to tell you we are of the same family as you.’

“我来这儿是想告诉你们,我们是同族的亲戚,先生。”

‘Aha!Poor relations?’

“啊,穷亲戚吧?”

‘Yes.’

“是的。”

‘Stokes?’

“斯托克家的人吗?”

‘No,d’Urbervilles.’

“不是,是德伯家的。”

‘Oh yes,of course,I mean d’Urbervilles.’

“哦,对,当然,我指的是德伯家。”

‘We have several proofs that we are d’Urbervilles.

“我们有根据说自己是德伯家的人。

We have an old silver spoon and a seal at home.

我们家有个旧银匙,还有个印章。

But mother uses the spoon to stir the soup.

但我母亲用那个银匙搅汤。

Mother said we ought to tell you,as we are the oldest branch of the family and we've lost our horse in an accident.’

母亲说我们应该来告诉你们,因为我们是这个家族最古老的一房。还有,在一次事故中,我们连马都失去了。”

‘Very kind of your mother,’said Alec d’Urberville,‘and I certainly don't regret it.’

“你母亲可真是一片好意。”亚历克·德伯说,“我当然不会为此感到遗憾。”

He looked admiringly at Tess,whose face blushed a deep pink.

他倾慕地盯着她,这使苔丝的脸变得绯红。

‘And so you've come on a friendly visit?’

“那么你是来做一次友好访问的喽?”

‘I suppose I have,’murmured Tess, looking uncomfortable.

“我想是的。”苔丝低声说,显得有些局促不安。

‘Let us walk round the gardens until you have to go home,my pretty cousin.’

“在你必须回家之前,让我们在花园里转转吧,我的漂亮表妹!”

Tess wanted to leave as soon as possible,but the young man insisted.He took her to the greenhouses.

虽然苔丝想尽快离开,但这年轻人坚持不让。他带她来到温室。

‘Do you like strawberries?’he asked.

“你喜欢吃草莓吗?”他问。

‘Yes,’said Tess,‘when they are ready.’

“是的!”苔丝说,“等它们熟透了的时候。”

‘These are ready now,’and so saying,d’Urberville picked one and held it to her mouth.

“它们已经熟透了。”说着,德伯就摘了一个,准备塞到苔丝嘴里。

‘No no!’she said.‘I'd rather take it myself.’

“哦,不!”她说,“我宁愿自己来。”

But Alec put it into her mouth.

但是亚历克还是把草莓放进了她嘴里。

He put roses into her hair and filled her basket with strawberries and flowers.

他还采了玫瑰别在她头上,并在她的篮子里装满了草莓和鲜花。

He gave her food to eat,and watched her,while he quietly smoked a cigarette.

他拿东西给她,自己就静静地抽着雪茄看她吃。

She looked more adult and womanly than she really was.

苔丝看起来比实际上的她更成熟也更具有女人味儿。

Alec could not take his eyes off her.She did not know as she smiled innocently at the flowers that behind the cigarette smoke was the cause of future sorrow in her life.

亚历克无法将视线从她身上移开。她不会想到,就在她天真无邪地对着那些鲜花微笑时,坐在雪茄烟雾后面的,正是会给她未来生活带来痛苦的冤家对头。

‘What is your name?’asked Alec.

“你叫什么名字?”亚历克问道。

‘Tess Durbeyfield.We live at Marlott.’

“苔丝·德北。我家在马勒特村。”

‘I must see if my mother can find a place for you.’They said goodbye and she set off home carrying her strawberries and flowers.

“我一定留意看看我母亲是否能给你找份工作。”他们告别之后,苔丝带着一篮子草莓和鲜花回去了。

This then was the beginning.

事情就这样开了头。

Why did she have to meet the wrong man, and one who was so strongly attracted to her?

为什么她一定要遇上这个不合适却如此垂涎于她的男人?

Yet to the right man, she was only a half-forgotten impression from an evening's dancing in a country field.

而她留给那个适合于她的男人的,只不过是一个来自乡间黄昏舞会的已经模糊了的印象。

In life, the right man to love hardly ever comes at the right time for loving.

在生活中,适合于爱的男人很少在适合于爱的时间出现。

Nature does not often answer a call for love, until the caller is tired of calling.

上天总是无视人们对爱的呼唤,直至人们呼唤得精疲力竭。

In this case,as in millions,it was not the two halves of a perfect whole who met.

这只不过是无数个阴差阳错的故事中的一个。

A missing half wandered somewhere else,arriving much later.This delay was to have tragic results.

两个无法完美结合的一半相遇了,而丢失的另一半还在别处徘徊,姗姗来迟。这样的延误即将导致悲剧的结局。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
claim [kleim]

想一想再看

n. 要求,要求权;主张,断言,声称;要求物

 
seal [si:l]

想一想再看

n. 印章,封条
n. 海豹
v.

 
persuade [pə'sweid]

想一想再看

vt. 说服,劝说

联想记忆
chase [tʃeis]

想一想再看

n. 追求,狩猎,争取
vt. 追捕,狩猎

联想记忆
stir [stə:]

想一想再看

n. 感动(激动,愤怒或震动), 搅拌,骚乱

 
delay [di'lei]

想一想再看

v. 耽搁,推迟,延误
n. 耽搁,推迟,延期

 
impression [im'preʃən]

想一想再看

n. 印象,效果

联想记忆
branch [brɑ:ntʃ]

想一想再看

n. 分支,树枝,分店,分部
v. 分支,分岔

 
occasionally [ə'keiʒənəli]

想一想再看

adv. 偶尔地

 
frightened ['fraitnd]

想一想再看

adj. 受惊的,受恐吓的

 


关键字: 苔丝

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。