手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 公开课 > 超级大国的兴衰 > 正文

超级大国的兴衰(视频+MP3+中英字幕) 第6期:"大国沉浮"课程介绍(6)

来源:可可英语 编辑:liekkas   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

We owe it to our nation and we owe it to ourselves

我们的国家和我们自身
to enter this process of involved citizenship with
都应该做好最充分的准备
the best preparation we can acquire. As you have no
践行公民参与计划,毫无疑问
doubt discovered during your time at Missouri State
在密苏里州,大家会发现
that involved citizenship is a complex process.
公民参与是一个复杂的过程
It involves the study of many different disciplines
它包含了数个领域的研究
and the comparison of many different view points.
以及多个视角的对比

大国沉浮.png

My bias is likely showing here but I see the study

或许这是我的一种偏见,但我
of history as the cornerstone of this process,
确实认为历史是这一过程的基础
the cornerstone of this preparation.
是公民参与的基础
Now when I order pancakes for breakfast I order
现在早餐时,我只点一张饼
just one. I'm not as young as I used to be and
我已经不年轻了,并且父母双方的
I have heart disease running on both sides
家族都有心脏病史,我的胆固醇
of my family. I take my cholesterol meds
检查一切正常
which is no problem; I work out regularly
我定期锻炼身体
which is a pain in various parts of my anatomy.
虽然会让我四肢酸痛
It's sad that I have to cut back on my pancake eating
但悲哀的是,我必须控制饮食
but family history indicates that this is a worthwhile
因为根据家族病史,这种改变
change. At least I can butter the living daylights
十分有必要,至少我还能每天
out of the one pancake I am still allowed to eat
吃一张饼,并从中找到生活的光明
and I can still just drown that thing in syrup
我还能将整张饼浸泡在糖浆中
until it screams for mercy, the way that god
直到它向我求饶,这就是我从母亲
and my mom intended for pancakes to be eaten.
身上继承的吃饼的方式
Segment 01D; some helpful buzzwords.
下面是片段01D 一些关键词
Empire and Emperium. The Latin word Emperio
帝国和绝对主权,在拉丁语中Emperio
means I command. Its meaning is as strong in Latin
意味着命令,它所表达的语气在拉丁语
as it is in English. For example;
和英语中一样强烈,例如
you need my GEP 397 class in order to receive
你需要上我的GEP397班的课程
a degree from Missouri State University.
才能从密苏里州立大学获得学位
You don't pass my GEP 397 class unless I inform
除非我在大学档案系统中记录你通过了
University records that you have passed it.
这门课,你就没有通过这门课
Even so, I don't give you commands.
即便如此,我都没有在命令大家
I give you lectures, reading assignments,
我给大家上课,给大家布置作业
I assign you essays, I give you tests, but I don't
让大家写文章,但我并没有
command you to do anything. My wife suggests that
命令大家做任何事情,我妻子建议我
I take out the garbage or she asks me to take out the
将垃圾带出来,或者她让我把
garbage or she tells me to take out the garbage but
垃圾带出来,或者告诉我把垃圾带出来
she never commands me to take out the garbage and I
但她从未命令我把垃圾带出来
of course would never command my wife to do anything.
当然我也从不会命令我的妻子做任何事情
For most people if you need to give commands,
对大多数人来说,如果你想发号施令
you need a dog. Sit Eefy. If I say that to our
那最好买条狗 "艾菲,坐下!" 如果
older female dog then she will sit.
我这样命令我们家的狗,她就会坐下
If I say sit Yoni, he might sit, he might not,
如果我说 "乔尼,坐下!" 他可能坐下
but you know, he means well. Of course you can
但是不一定,因为你可以命令一只猫
also give commands to a cat but the cat will merely
但猫可能只会嘲笑你,而不会听你的话
laugh at you. On the other hand you can receive
另一方面,你可能接到上级的命令
commands from a commander. A commander tends to
这些有命令权的人通常有着
have a first name like Sir, Ma'am,
各种各样的敬称,如先生,女士
Your Highness or Lord. A commander doesn't ask you
阁下,陛下等等,他们不会请你去做
to do something or advise you to do something or
或者建议你去做,亦或要求
request that you do something; a commander tells you
你去做一些事情,他们只会告诉你
what you are going to do and you do it or else.
你要去做什么,而你必须做
During the Roman monarchy from 753BC to 509BC
在公元前753-509年的罗马帝国
the Roman King automatically possessed emperium,
皇帝自动拥有绝对主权
the right to command total obedience from anyone
即以任何理由要求任何人
for any reason whatsoever. If the Roman King's
绝对臣服于自己,如果任何人不服从于
command was not obeyed he could punish his
罗马皇帝的命令,皇帝就可以
disobedient subject however he wanted to.
对他们进行任意处置。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
disobedient [,disə'bi:djənt]

想一想再看

adj. 不服从的;违背的;不孝的

 
acquire [ə'kwaiə]

想一想再看

vt. 获得,取得,学到

联想记忆
automatically [.ɔ:tə'mætikəli]

想一想再看

adv. 自动地,机械地

 
merely ['miəli]

想一想再看

adv. 仅仅,只不过

 
worthwhile ['wə:θ'wail]

想一想再看

adj. 值得(做)的

 
mercy ['mə:si]

想一想再看

n. 怜悯,宽恕,仁慈,恩惠
adj.

 
commander [kə'mɑ:ndə]

想一想再看

n. 司令官,指挥官

 
complex ['kɔmpleks]

想一想再看

adj. 复杂的,复合的,合成的
n. 复合体

联想记忆
comparison [kəm'pærisn]

想一想再看

n. 比较

联想记忆
intended [in'tendid]

想一想再看

adj. 故意的,有意的;打算中的 n. 已订婚者 v.

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。