手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之游戏的力量:打游戏激起对学习的热情(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

When we look at the universities,

当我们环顾大学,
60 percent of baccalaureate degrees are going to women now, which is a significant shift.
目前女性占60%的本科学历的人数,这是个巨大的转变。
And in fact, university administrators are a little uncomfortable about the idea
实际上,大学的主管们对此感到有点不安,
that we may be getting close to 70 percent female population in universities.
要是在大学,女性占总人数的70%。
This makes university administrators very nervous,
这数据让大学主管们非常紧张,
because girls don't want to go to schools that don't have boys.
因为女孩也不想去没有男孩的学校上学。
And so we're starting to see the establishment of men centers and men studies
所以我们开始看到男性中心和男性研究的建立
to think about how do we engage men in their experiences in the university.
来思考怎样让男性在大学中活跃起来。
If you talk to faculty, they may say,
如果你跟教员谈话,他们会说,
"Ugh. Yeah, well, they're playing video games,
“啊,是的,男孩爱打视频游戏,
and they're gambling online all night long,
他们通宵网上赌博,
and they're playing World of Warcraft,
还爱玩魔兽世界。
and that's affecting their academic achievement."
这些都影响了他们学术成绩。”
Guess what?
猜怎么了?
Video games are not the cause.
视频游戏不是主要原因。
Video games are a symptom.
视频游戏是一个征兆。

打游戏激起对学习的热情

They were turned off a long time before they got here.

在男孩打游戏前,他们已经很长时间对学习都不感兴趣了。
So let's talk about why they got turned off when they were between the ages of three and 13.
让我们谈谈,当他们在3岁到13岁间,他们为什么对学习不感兴趣呢?
There are three reasons that I believe
我认为有三个原因
that boys are out of sync with the culture of schools today.
让男孩们与今天的学校教育脱节。
The first is zero tolerance.
第一个是零容忍。
A kindergarten teacher I know,
我认识的一名幼儿园教师,
her son donated all of his toys to her,
她儿子得上缴他所有的玩具,
and when he did, she had to go through and pull out all the little plastic guns.
然后,她得一一检查,把所有的小塑料枪都拿走。
You can't have plastic knives and swords and axes
在幼儿园教室,
and all that kind of thing in a kindergarten classroom.
不能有塑料刀,剑和斧子以及类似的东西。
What is it that we're afraid that this young man is going to do with this gun?
年轻人要是有枪,我们要担心的是什么?
I mean, really.
我是说,真的。
But here he stands as testament to the fact that you can't roughhouse on the playground today.
但这儿男孩得面对的事实是,今天他们不能在操场玩耍打闹。
Now I'm not advocating for bullies.
我这不是鼓动要持强凌弱。
I'm not suggesting that we need to be allowing guns and knives into school.
我也不是推荐在学校容许男孩携带枪和小刀。
But when we say that an Eagle Scout in a high school classroom
但我想说高中班级中的老鹰童子军
who has a locked parked car in the parking lot and a penknife in it
在停车场停放的车里要是有把刀,
has to be suspended from school,
就得被勒令休学,
I think we may have gone a little too far with zero tolerance.
我认为我们可能在零容忍度方面做得有点过火。
Another way that zero tolerance lives itself out is in the writing of boys.
另一种在生活中的零容忍度是有关男孩的写作。
In a lot of classrooms today
今天在很多课堂,
you're not allowed to write about anything that's violent.
你不能写有关暴力的任何东西。
You're not allowed to write about anything that has to do with video games -- these topics are banned.
你不能写涉及视频游戏的任何东西,这些话题是被禁止的。
Boy comes home from school, and he says, "I hate writing."
男孩从学校回来,他说,“我讨厌写作。”
"Why do you hate writing, son? What's wrong with writing?"
“儿子,你为什么讨厌写作?到底怎么了?”
"Now I have to write what she tells me to write."
“现在我得写女教师吩咐我写的素材。”
"Okay, what is she telling you to write?"
“哦,她让你写什么?”
"Poems. I have to write poems.
“诗歌。我得写诗歌。
And little moments in my life.
一生中我很少写这话题。
I don't want to write that stuff."
我不想写诗歌。”
"All right. Well, what do you want to write? What do you want to write about?"
“好吧。那你想写什么?有什么好写的?”
"I want to write about video games. I want to write about leveling-up.
“我想写有关视频游戏。我想写如何练级。
I want to write about this really interesting world.
我想写这真正有意思的游戏世界。
I want to write about a tornado that comes into our house
我想写龙卷风来到我家,
and blows all the windows out and ruins all the furniture and kills everybody."
把所有的窗户吹跑,毁坏所有的家具,然后杀死了所有人。”
"All right. Okay."
“好的。”
You tell a teacher that,
你要告诉一位老师这个,
and they'll ask you, in all seriousness,
她们会非常严肃地会问你,
"Should we send this child to the psychologist?"
“我们是不是应该送这小孩到心理学家那?”
And the answer is no, he's just a boy.
答案是不应该,他只是个男孩。
He's just a little boy.
他只是个小男孩。
It's not okay to write these kinds of things in classrooms today.
现在在课堂上还不能写这些东西。
So that's the first reason:
所以这是第一个原因:
zero tolerance policies and the way they're lived out.
零容忍政策和他们所处的环境不容许男孩文化的发生。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
achievement [ə'tʃi:vmənt]

想一想再看

n. 成就,成绩,完成,达到

 
establishment [is'tæbliʃmənt]

想一想再看

n. 确立,制定,设施,机构,权威

联想记忆
population [.pɔpju'leiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 人口 ,(全体)居民,人数

联想记忆
plastic ['plæstik, plɑ:stik]

想一想再看

adj. 塑料的,可塑的,造型的,整形的,易受影响的

 
psychologist [sai'kɔlədʒist]

想一想再看

n. 心理学家

联想记忆
symptom ['simptəm]

想一想再看

n. 症状,征兆

 
shift [ʃift]

想一想再看

n. 交换,变化,移动,接班者
v. 更替,移

 
suspended

想一想再看

adj. 悬浮的;暂停的,缓期的(宣判)

 
academic [.ækə'demik]

想一想再看

adj. 学术的,学院的,理论的
n.

 
eagle ['i:gl]

想一想再看

n. 鹰
vt. (高尔夫)鹰击

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。