In vast particle accelerators like this one at CERN in Switzerland
在巨大的粒子加速器里 例如瑞士欧洲核子研究委员会这一台
Scientists are on the hunt for quarks and other subatomic particles.
科学家正在寻找夸克和其它亚原子粒子
By smashing protons together at incredible speed
借由以惊人的速度将质子互相对撞
We can study the behavior of the tiniest particles in nature.
就能研究自然界最小粒子的行为
Although we haven't enable to directly observe quarks,
虽然我们无法直接观察夸克
we have seen evidence of particle behavior predicted by the quark model.
却看到了从夸克模型预测粒子行为的证据
So do Quarks exist?
那么夸克到底存不存在?
The answer is they exist only as a model that works.
答案是夸克只存在于相符的模型当中
That is as far as we can go
这就是我们目前所知道的
This is called the concept of model dependent reality.
即我们所能建立的模型中 这种概念就称为"模态实在论"
And I believe that lead us directly to the meaning of life.
我认为这就能直接解释生命的意义
To my mind,science has taught us something pretty remarkable:
就我看来 科学让我们得知非常不可思议的事情
We humans are highly complex biological machines behaving in accordance
人类是高度复杂的生物机器
with the laws of nature. Our brains create and sustain our conscious mind
行为举止全根据自然法则 大脑得以创造并延续人的意识
through an extraordinary network of interacting neurons.
有赖于奇妙的神经元互动网络
That consciousness creates a three-dimensional model
而人的意识 创造了
of the outside world:
外在世界的三维模型
a best fit model that we call reality.
这种最适模型就是我们所谓的现实