手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 双语有声读物 > 勃朗特一家的故事(第3级) > 正文

勃朗特一家的故事 第26期:亚瑟·尼可斯(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:alice   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Charlotte went to London and met many famous writers.

夏洛蒂去了伦敦,会晤了许多有名的作家。
I was very pleased;I loved to hear about the people and places that she saw.
我非常高兴;我爱听她谈论她见到的人和去过的地方。
But she always came back to Haworth;she didn't like to be with famous people very long.
她最后总是回到霍沃斯。她不喜欢和有名的人物在一起待太长时间。
And this quiet place was her home.
只有这个安静的地方才是她的家。
In 1852,just before Christmas,a terrible thing happened.
1852年圣诞节前,发生了一件可怕的事。
I heard some of it from my room.
我从房间里听到一些声音。
My curate,Arthur Nicholls,opened the door to Charlotte's sitting-room, and stood there.
我的副牧师,亚瑟·尼可斯先生,推开了夏洛蒂起居室的门,站在那儿。
His face was white,and he was shaking.
他脸色苍白,浑身发抖。
'Yes,Mr Nicholls?'Charlotte said. 'Do you want to come in?'
"哦,尼可斯先生,"夏洛蒂说,"您想进来吗?"
'No,Miss Charlotte-that is, yes. I mean-I have something important to say to you.'
"不,夏洛蒂小姐,--我是说是的。我的意思是--我有件重要的事要告诉您。"
I heard his voice stop for a moment and then he went on.
我听见他的声音停了一下,又继续说道
'I have always…felt strongly about you,Miss Charlotte,and…my feelings are stronger,much stronger,than you know.
我对您总是……有一种强烈的感情,夏洛蒂小姐,而且……我的感情越来越强烈,比您知道的要强烈的多。
And,well, the fact is, Miss Charlotte, that…I am asking you to be my wife.
嗯,那么,事实是,夏洛蒂小姐,那就是……我请求您做我的妻子。"
There was a long silence.
一段长时间的沉默。
I heard every word,and I felt cold and angry.
我听见了每一个字,我又冷、又生气。
Mr Nicholls was a good curate,but that was all.
尼可斯先生是个优秀的副牧师,但仅此而已。
I paid him 100 pounds a year to help me with my work,
我一年付他100英镑来帮我,
but he had no place in my house,or in my daughter's bed!I stood up, and opened my door.
可他在我家里没有位置,更不可能和我女儿结婚!我站起身,把门推开。
'Mr,Nichols!' He turned and looked at me.
"尼可斯先生!" 他转过身来看着我。
I could see Charlotte behind him.
我看见夏洛蒂站在他身后。
'You will leave this house at once,Mr Nicholls.
你马上离开这所房子,尼可斯先生!
I am very,very angry!You must not speak to my daughter again-ever!Do you understand me?
我非常生气!不许你再和我女儿说话--永远!你听明白了吗?
The stupid man was shaking and almost crying!I thought he was ill.
那个笨家伙浑身颤抖着,快要哭出来了。我觉得他是生病了。
He opened his mouth to speak,but no words came out.
他张开嘴巴,可是一个字也说不出。
Then he turned and went out of the door.
他转身走出了房门。
Mr Nicholls stayed in his own house for three days.
尼可斯先生在他的房间呆了3天。
He refused to eat,the stupid man, and he sent me some angry letters.
他绝食,这个笨家伙还写了些愤怒的信给我。
But Charlotte wrote to him,to say that she would not marry him.
但夏洛蒂也给他写了信,说她不会嫁给他。
Then Mr Nicholls said he would leave Haworth,and go to Australia.
后来尼可斯先生说他要离开霍沃斯,去澳大利亚。
On his last day,in church, he had to give people bread to eat.
最后一天,在教堂他得给人们做分面包的仪式。
But when he held out the bread to Charlotte,he could not do it, because he was shaking and crying so much.
当他把面包递给夏洛帝时,他简直不能进行下去了,他哆嗦着,哭得那么厉害。
Afterwards,the people of Haworth gave him a gold watch.
然后,霍沃斯的人们送了他一块金表。
He cried about that, too.
他为这个又哭了。
I thought it was all finished,but I was wrong.
我以为一切结束了,可我错了。
I think he wrote to Charlotte,and she wrote back.
我猜他写信给夏洛蒂,而她也回了信。
In April of 1854,he came back to Haworth.
1854年4月,他又回到了霍沃斯,
Charlotte brought him into my room.
夏洛蒂把他带进我的房间,
I looked at him, but I said nothing. I was not pleased.
我看着他,一言不发。我挺不高兴。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
silence ['sailəns]

想一想再看

n. 沉默,寂静
vt. 使安静,使沉默

 
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。