手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 双语有声读物 > 牙齿和爪子(第3级) > 正文

牙齿和爪子 第15期:托博莫里(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:alice   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Tobermory

托博莫里
It was a cold,rain-washed afternoon in late August.
这是8月底一个寒冷的下午。
Lady Blemley and her guests were sitting round the tea table.
布莱姆雷夫人和客人正坐在桌旁吃茶点。
Everyone was listening open-mouthed to Mr Cornelius Appin.
大家听了科尼利厄斯·阿普因先生的话都很吃惊。
Although he was one of her guests,Lady Blemley did not know Mr Appin well.
虽然他是其中的一个客人,但是布莱姆雷夫人并不太了解阿普因先生。
She had invited him to stay at Blemley House because she had heard that he was clever.
她只是听说他聪明,所以邀请他来布莱姆雷家。
But until teatime that day he had not done or said anything clever.
但那天直到喝茶的时候他还没有做或说任何聪明的事情。
He did not play tennis,or sing,or make intelligent conversation.
他没打网球、没唱歌也没说什么机智的话。
But now Mr Appin was describing a most extraordinary discovery and the other guests were listening with deep interest.
但是现在阿普因先生正在描述一个极其特别的发现,其他客人正兴致勃勃地听着。
'Are you telling us that you have found a way of teaching animals to talk?'Sir Wilfred was saying.
"你是说你找到了教动物说话的办法?"威尔弗雷德爵士说。
'And our dear old Tobermory is your first successful student?'
"而且我们可爱的老托博莫里是你的第一个成功的学生?"
'I have studied this problem for seventeen years,'said Mr Appin,'
"我研究这个问题17年了,"阿普因先生说,
but I didn't have any real success until eight or nine months ago.
"但是直到八九个月前我才真正成功了。
Of course, I have studied thousands of animals,but recently I have worked only with cats.
当然,我研究了成千上万种动物,但是最近我只研究了猫。
A cat,of course,is a wild animal who agrees to live with you.
猫自然是愿意和你生活在一起的野生动物。
All cats are intelligent,but naturally some cats are more intelligent than others.
所有的猫都聪明,但是一些猫自然比其它的更聪明。
When I met Tobermory a week ago,I realized at once that here was an extraordinarily intelligent cat,a very special cat indeed.
一星期前遇见托博莫里时,我立刻意识到这是一只极其聪明的猫,一只实际上非常特殊的猫。
In Tobermory,I found the student I needed.
在托博莫里身上我找到了我需要的学生,
With him I have succeeded in my plan.
借助于他我成功地实现了我的计划。"
Nobody laughed,and nobody actually said 'Rubbish',although Clovis's lips moved silently…
没人笑,没人说"胡说",虽然克洛维斯的嘴唇在无声地嚅动……
'And have you really taught Tobermory,'asked Miss Resker,'to say and understand short,easy words?'
"你真的教了托博莫里说话并听懂一些简单的短句吗?"雷斯克小姐问。
'My dear Miss Resker,'said Mr Appin patiently,'we teach little children and very slow,stupid adults in that way.
"亲爱的雷斯克小姐,"阿普因先生耐心地说,"我们用这种方式教小孩和非常迟钝、愚笨的成人。
But Tobermory is a most intelligent cat.
但是托博莫里是一只非常聪明的猫,
He can speak English as well as you or I can.
他的英语讲得和你我一样好。"
This time Clovis said 'Rubbish!'aloud.
这次克洛维斯大声地说:"胡说!"
Sir Wilfrid was more polite,but it was clear that he did not believe Mr Appin's story.
威尔弗雷德爵士比较有礼貌,但是很明显他不相信阿普因先生的故事。
'Shall we bring the cat in here and hear him for ourselves?'said Lady Blemley.
"我们把猫带到这儿来亲自听他说好吗?"布莱姆雷夫人说。
Sir Wilfred went off to look for Tobermory.
威尔弗雷德爵士离开房间去找托博莫里。
'Mr Appin will try to be clever,'said Miss Resker happily,'
"阿普因先生会想办法来些聪明的把戏,"雷斯克小姐高兴地说,
but if we watch him carefully,we shall see his lips move.
"可是如果我们仔细观察他,我们就会看见他的嘴唇要动。"
In a minute Sir Wilfred returned, looking very excited.
一分钟后威尔弗雷德爵士回来了,他看上去非常激动。
'It's true,you know!'he said.
"你们知道这是真的!"他说。
'I found Tobermory sleeping in the smoking-room,and called out to him to come for his tea.
"我发现托博莫里在吸烟室睡觉,就叫他出来喝茶。
He lifted his head and opened one eye.
他抬起头睁开一只眼。
I said,"Come on,Toby,don't keep us waiting!"and he said calmly,
我说,'来吧,托比,别让我们等你!'他平静地说,
"I'll come when I'm ready!"I couldn't believe my ears!'
'我准备好了就来!'我真不相信我的耳朵!"
The guests all started talking at once,while Mr Appin satsilently and looked very pleased with himself indeed.
客人马上开始谈论起来,这时阿普因先生沉默地坐着,看起来很为自己高兴。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
extraordinary [iks'trɔ:dnri]

想一想再看

adj. 非凡的,特别的,特派的

联想记忆
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
conversation [.kɔnvə'seiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 会话,谈话

联想记忆
rubbish ['rʌbiʃ]

想一想再看

n. 垃圾,废物,废话
v. 贬损

 
intelligent [in'telidʒənt]

想一想再看

adj. 聪明的,智能的

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。