'well,look here,neighbours. 'Gabriel,although normally one of the quietest and most gentle men on earth,had suddenly become aggressive.
"哼,告诉你们,邻居们,"盖伯瑞尔,这个世上最安静、最温柔的人,突然变得咄咄逼人。
'The first man I hear saying anything bad about our mistress will receive this in his face,'and he banged his great heavy hand down on the maltster's table.
"我要是听到谁说女主人的坏话,他的脸上首先就会尝到这个,"接着他把他的大手重重地击在了酒店老板的桌子上。
'Now don't get so angry,shepherd,and sit down!'said Jacob.
"牧羊人,别生气,坐下!"雅各布说。
'We hear you're a very clever man,shepherd,'added Joseph Poorgrass from behind the maltster's bed,where he had been hiding.
"牧羊人,我们听说你是个很聪明的人,"约瑟夫·普格拉斯从酒店老板的床后边接口说,他一直躲在那儿。
'We all wish we were as clever as you,don't we,neighbours?'
"我们都希望我们像你一样聪明,是吧,邻居们?"
There was general agreement.
人们都表示同意。
'I think mistress ought to have made you her farm manager,you're so suitable for the job,'continued Joseph.
"我认为女主人应该让你当她的农场经理,你太适合干这个工作了,"约瑟夫接着说。
He could see that Gabriel was no longer angry.
他能看出盖伯瑞尔已不生气了。
'I don't mind confessing I was hoping to be her farm manager,'said Gabriel in his honest way.
"我可以坦白我很希望给她当农场经理,"盖伯瑞尔诚实地说。
'But Miss Everdene can do as she likes,and she's chosen to manage her own farm-and keep me as an ordinary shepherd only. '
"不过,伊芙丁小姐有权做自己愿做的事情,她已决定要自己管理农场,而只要我做个普通的牧羊人。"
He sounded rather depressed,and looked sadly into the fire.
听起来他很沮丧,眼睛悲伤地盯着火。
Before anyone could reply,the door opened and Mr Boldwood came in.
别人正要答话,门开了,伯德伍德走了进来。
He greeted them all and handed the letter to Gabriel.
他和大家打过招呼,把信递给了盖伯瑞尔。
'I opened this by mistake,Oak,'he said,'but it must be for you. I'm sorry. '
"奥克,我开错了信,"他说,"这信一定是给你的。我很抱歉。"
'Oh,it doesn't matter at all,'answered Gabriel,who had no secrets from anyone.
"咳,没关系,"盖伯瑞尔对谁也没有要保密的,
He read this letter:
说着,他看起信来: