Till they surrender.Dear God. Yes, yes.Wilmington's their last open seaport. Therefore
打到他们投降为止 老天 可不是 威尔明顿是他们最后的港口 也就是说
Wilmington falls, Richmond falls after.And the war is done.
拿下威尔明顿 里士满也手到擒来 战争也将随之结束
Then why, if I may ask,are we not concentrating the nation's attention on Wilmington?
恕我冒昧 那为什么 公众的视线没有聚焦在威尔明顿
Why, instead, are we reading in the Herald,
为什么《先驱报》报道的却是
that the anti-slavery amendment is being precipitated onto the House floor for debate?
我们在促使废奴主义修正案 提交众议院进行辩论呢
Because your eagerness,in what seems an unwarranted intrusion of the Executive
你急切的愿望 在我看来就是行政权
into Legislative prerogatives,is compelling it to it's to what's likely to be its premature demise.
对立法权的无理干涉 它很可能会 让你的计划胎死腹中
You hear?You signed the Emancipation Proclamation,You're done all that can be expected.
听到了吗 《解放黑人奴奴宣言》已经颁布了 你应该心满意足了
The Emancipation Proclamation merely a war measure.After the war the courts will make a meal of it.
《解放黑人奴奴宣言》只不过是个战时措施 战争一结束法院就会拿它小题大做的
When Edward Bates was Attorney General,he felt confident in it enough to allow you to sign.
爱德华·贝茨当司法部长的时候 对这个宣言可是信心满满的
Different lawyers, different opinions.
每个律师都有他自己的想法
It frees slaves as a military exigent, not in any other
宣言只是武装解放黑奴 并没有在其它
I don't recall Edward Bates being any too certain about the legality of my Proclamation
我不记得爱德华·贝茨对于 宣言的合法性有多么肯定
just it wasn't downright criminal.Somewhere's in between.
它只不过是不非法而已 还处于一个灰色地带
Back when I rode the legal circuit in Illinois,
我还在伊利诺伊州当律师的时候
I defended a woman from Metamora named Melissa Goings, 77 years old.
我曾为一个来自梅塔莫拉市的老妇辩护 她叫梅丽莎·格英丝 当时已77岁了
They said she murdered her husband, he was 83.
她被指控杀害了她83岁的丈夫