Stand in front of me,and don't move!'
站在我面前,别动!"
Bathsheba was beginning to enjoy this. 'I'll just test you first,'added Troy,'to see whether you're brave enough. '
芭丝谢芭觉得这样挺好玩的。"我先考验你一下,"托伊又说,"看你是否勇敢。"
The sword flashed in the air,from her left to right side.
剑从她的左边至右边,在空中一闪而过。
It seemed to go through her body.
就像穿她的身体而过。
But there it was again in Troy's hand,perfectly clean and free from blood.
可它又落到了托伊手中,干净如初,没有一点血污。
'Oh!'she cried,frightened. 'Have you killed me?
"天哪!"她惊恐地喊到。"你杀死我了吗?
No,yon haven't!How did you do it?'
不,没有!你是怎么弄的?"
'I haven't touched you,'said Troy quietly. 'Now, you aren't afraid,are you?
"我没碰你,"托伊平静地说。"怎么,你害怕了,是吗?
I promise I won't hurt you,or even touch you. '
我说过不会伤着你,连碰都不会碰着你。"
'I don't think I'm afraid. Is the sword very sharp?'
"我并不以为自己害怕。剑很锋利吗?"
'Oh no-just stand very still. Now!'
"不锋利,站着别动。好!"
In a second,Bathsheba could no longer see the sky or the ground.
刹那间,芭丝谢芭既看不到天也看不到地。
The shining weapon flashed above,around and in front of her,
剑光闪闪,在她的周围上下翻飞,
catching light from the low sun and whistling as it rushed through the air.
映着夕阳的余晖,在空中呼啸作声。
Never had Sergeant Troy managed his sword better than today.
托伊中士从未像今天这样把剑练得这么好。
'Your hair is a little untidy,'he said.
"你的头发有点乱,"他说,
'Allow me,'and before she could move or speak,a curl dropped to the ground.
"允许我,"她还没能动一下或说句话,一绺儿头发已落到了地上。
'You are very brave,for a woman!'he congratulated her.
"作为一个女人,你非常勇敢!"他赞叹道。
'It was because I didn't expect it.
"那是因为我不知道你会这样。
Now I'm afraid of you,I am,really!'
现在,我害怕你了,真的!"
'This time I won't even touch your hair.
"这次,我都不会碰着你的头发。
I'm going to kill that insect on your dress. Stand still!'
我要杀死你裙子上的那个虫子。站着别动!"
Not daring to tremble,she saw the point of his sword coming towards her heart,
甚至都不敢抖一下,她看到他的剑尖向自己的心脏刺来。
and,sure that this time she would die,closed her eyes.
她闭上了眼,确信这次自己必死无疑,
But when she opened them,she saw the insect,dead,on the point of the sword.
等她睁开眼时,她看到那条虫子在剑尖上死了。
'It's magic!'she cried. 'And how could you cut off one of my curls with a sword that isn't sharp?'
"太神奇了!"她叫起来。"你怎么能用不锋利的剑削掉我的头发呢?"
'It's sharper than any knife,'he said. 'I had to lie to you about that,to give you the confidence to stand still. '
"这把剑比任何一把刀都锋利,"他说,"我只能对你说谎,为的是让你有信心站着别动。"