The world is filled with smart, talented, educated, and gifted people.
全世界到处都有聪明、才华横溢、受过良好教育以及极具天赋的人。
We meet them every day. They are all around us.
我们每天都会碰到这样的人,他们就在我们的身边。
I am constantly shocked at how little talented people earn.
我常常吃惊为什么有些人才华过人却只挣到很低的工资。
A business consultant who specializes in the medical trade was telling me how many doctors, dentists, and chiropractors struggle financially.
一位药品贸易的商务顾问曾经告诉我,有许多医生、牙医和按摩师在财务上困难重重。
All this time, I thought that when they graduated, the dollars would pour in.
以前我总是认为他们一毕业,美元就会滚滚而来。
It was this business consultant who gave me the phrase: “They are one skill away from great wealth.”
这位商务顾问还跟我说了一句话:“他们只有一项技能,所以挣不到大钱。”
What this phrase means is that most people need only to learn and master one more skill and their income would jump exponentially.
这句话的意思是说,大部分人需要学习和掌握不止一项技能,只有这样他们的收入才能获得显著增长。
I have mentioned before that financial intelligence is a synergy of accounting, investing, marketing, and law.
以前我提到过,财商是会计、投资、市场和法律等各方面知识和能力的综合。
Combine these four technical skills and making money with money is easier.
将上述4种技能结合起来,以钱生钱就会容易得多。
When it comes to money, the only skill most people know is to work hard.
当涉及钱的时候,只有一项技能的人不得不努力工作。
The classic example of a synergy of skills was that young writer for the newspaper.
有关综合技能的典型例子就是那位为报纸撰稿的年轻女记者。
If she diligently learned the skills of sales and marketing, her income would jump dramatically.
如果她能努力学习销售的技能和有关市场的知识,她的收入就会显著增加。
If I were her, I would take some courses in advertising copywriting as well as sales.
如果我是她,我一定会去学习一些有关广告文案和销售方面的课程。
Then, instead of working at the newspaper, I would seek a job at an advertising agency.
然后,我不再为报纸工作,而去一家广告公司找一份工作。
Even if it were a cut in pay, she would learn how to communicate in short-cuts that are used in successful advertising.
即使这样做会使收入减少,但她能学到在成功的广告中运用的“用几秒钟交流”的技巧。