And my friend opened a small office which is like…
我的朋友开了个很小的办公室 就比这里
only ten percent bigger than this room,
大十分之一左右
and a lot of mach, computer thing there.
摆了很多机子 电脑什么的
And he said, "Jack, this is Internet."
他说 杰克 这是互联网
I asked, "what is internet?"
我问 什么是互联网
He said, "you can search whatever you want."
他说 你可以搜索任何你想要的
At that time they use Mosaic, very slow.
那个时候 使用Mosaic系统 网速很慢
And I said, "I don't use it, I don't want to type,
我说 我不想用它 我不想打字
because computer is so expensive in China. If I destroy it, I cannot pay."
因为电脑在中国太贵了 如果我搞坏了 那我肯定赔不起
he said, "just search it."
他说 就搜搜看
So I searched the first word "beer",
所以我搜了第一个词 啤酒
I don't know why, because easier to spell, maybe.
我不知道为什么选这个词 可能因为比较容易拼写吧
And I see beers from Germany, beers from USA, beers from uh…Japan,
我搜索到了德国的啤酒 美国的啤酒 日本的啤酒
but there's no beer from China.
但是没有中国的啤酒
And I say, "Ok, type the second word 'China'."
我说 好 再输入中国试试看
No data, nothing nothing.
什么数据都没有