The company owed 150 billion dollars.
公司欠下1500亿美元债务
It owed more money than any other private company in the United States at the time.
比美国任何私人企业欠债都要多
And that night I met with the man that ran the Federal Reserve of New York,
当晚我会见了纽约联储的人
who was the sheriff in effect, and I said, you know,I've never really owed very much money before.
他是实际的执行者 我说 我从来没欠过这么多钱
I said, "I've got a little mortgage on a house,but 150 billion is a little staggering."
我用一套房子做了抵押 但1500亿太惊人了
And I was hoping he would say, "Well, don't worry, Warren.We'll give you a few weeks to breathe."
我希望他会说 别担心 沃伦 我们会给你几周喘气的
And he,he said to me, "Prepare for any eventuality."
而他对我说 做好发生任何事情的准备吧
Earlier today, the US Treasury Department announced it had suspended Salomon Brothers from participating in the auction of new issues.
今天早些时候 美国财政部宣布暂停所罗门兄弟参与竞购新的证券
It was one more jolt for a scandal-scarred Wall Street.
这对丑闻缠身的华尔街又一次严重的挫折
The Fed was in effect saying,"You're an evil force, and we don't want you trading our bonds."
美联储称 你们是恶势力 我们不想让你们交易我们的债券
It was a huge turning point for Warren.
这对沃伦来说是一个重大的转折
And he believed that,at that particular point,his reputation was on the line.
他相信当时 他的名誉正处于危险之中
Warren had 24 hours to make up his mind as to whether he was going to go forward or just bow out.
沃伦有24个小时思考 是继续前行还是退出
And I think at that point, Salomon Brothers could have gone into bankruptcy.
我认为当时 所罗门兄弟会破产
And Warren stepped up and took responsibility.
而沃伦加入了 开始承担责任