手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 告别平庸的自己 > 正文

活出生命的意义

来源:可可英语 编辑:Jenny   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

So I remember watching the movie The Pursuit of Happyness a long long time ago,

记得很久很久之前看过电影《当幸福来敲门》,
and I just thought it was so beautiful. I couldn't stop crying. I was so amazed.
我只是觉得它太美了,止不住哭泣。我是那么惊讶。
And then a few months ago, my girlfriend and I wanted to watch a movie
几个月前,我和女朋友想看电影,
and we decided that's what we were going to watch.
就决定看这部了。
And this time, I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen and yet another stupid lesson from Hollywood.
这次,我感觉这是我看过的最愚蠢的事情,是来自好莱坞的又一个愚蠢的教训。
And this is a really famous movie, but just in case you haven't seen it, let me recap it for you...
这真是一部很出名的电影,但以防你还没看过,让我来给大家重述一下…
So this guy's really poor and going through all this adversity,
主人公很穷,经历了所有的不幸,
but he has a chance of one day becoming a stockbroker.
但是他有个某天成为股票经纪人的机会。
And the entire movie basically shows him constantly worried, constantly stressed,
整部电影的基调是渲染他持续的担忧,紧张,
constantly pissed off and negative, constantly yelling and getting into fights with his wife,
愤怒和消极,不断的叫喊及和妻子的纷争,
BUT one day he might become a stockbroker and finally attain happiness.
但有一天他可能成为一个股票经纪人,并最终获得幸福。
I guess that's Hollywood's version of happiness - one day being a stockbroker.
我猜那是好莱坞式的幸福——某天变成股票经纪人。
And at the end of the movie, of course he gets the job,
电影最后,当然他有了工作,
and he has now successfully pursued and attained happiness.
成功追求并获得了幸福。
Now, there are so many things wrong with that, but let's start with this one...
现在,那种观点有很多问题,但我们先从这点开始…
It's weird that someone would even try to pursue happiness, because happiness cannot be pursued.
某些人甚至尝试去追求幸福,这很奇怪,因为幸福是不可追求的。
It's not like a degree that you pursue for 4 years and then you finally get it and can keep it for the rest of your life.
它不像学位,你可以追逐四年,然后最终得到并拥有一生。
It's more like a birth certificate that just comes with you.
它更像是伴随你的出生证明。
It's in your house, you just have to find it.
它在你的房子里,你需要找到它。
It doesn't depend on how big or small your house, it's in there.
无关房子大小,它就在那里。
So my first favorite idea from the book is, Happiness cannot be pursued.
所以这本书中我最喜欢的观点是,幸福不可追。
And to keep this from getting esoteric, let me tell you a story.
为了避免太晦涩难懂,我讲个故事吧。
So I remember when I was about 7 or 8 my parents left me with my grandma and we never really had food at home.
记得我七八岁的时候,父母把我留给奶奶照顾,我们家里从来没真正有过食物。
And I don't mean that in the western sense of there's nothing that I like in the fridge.
我并不是指西方人所认为的冰箱里没有我喜欢吃的东西的意思。
No it was like, there's nothing in the fridge that can be consumed as calories.
而是,冰箱里没有可以像卡路里那样来消耗的东西。
And my grandma's only source of income was her pension.
奶奶的唯一收入来源是她的退休金。
And I remember it was 13 Lari which is about $6 or $7, and sometimes they wouldn't even bring her that.
我记得只有13拉里,约合6或7美元,有时还不发。
Now, there was also a little bakery at the end of the street.
在街的尽头有个小面包店。
And they had this little pastry that I really really liked. And it cost 20 Tetri which is about 10 cents.
那里有我最最喜欢的油酥点心。要花20拉里约合10美分。
But most of the time, I didn't have money to go buy it.
但大多数时候,我都没钱买。
So I was out on the street a lot with other kids, and I soon figured out that there was this lemonade store.
所以我经常和其他孩子一起上街,并很快了解到有个柠檬店。
And they'd give you 5 tetri if you brought them an empty lemonade bottle.
如果你给他们一个空的柠檬水瓶,他们就给你5拉里。
And I remember I'd wake up every day and I would go looking for bottles on the streets.
我还记得每天醒来后就去街上找瓶子。
Now it was pretty hard to find those bottles,
现在很难找到那些瓶子了,
but if I found four bottles that would mean I could bring them to the lemonade store and get 20 Tetri for them.
但如果我能找到四个瓶子,就意味着我可以去柠檬店换20拉里。
And I remember how I was just the happiest kid alive.
我还记得我是那么幸福的孩子。
Every time I found a bottle, it was like the happiest moment of my life.
每找到一个瓶子,都像是我人生中最快乐的时刻。
Every time I went to the lemonade store and collected my 20 Tetri, it was an unbelievable feeling.
每次去柠檬店换20拉里,那种感觉简直难以置信。
And finally I would go to the little pastry store, and I would buy my little 20 Tetri pastry.
最后我会去小糕点店,买那个20拉里的点心。
And I would sit out on the side walk and just enjoy it.
然后坐在路边慢慢享用。
And it was supposed to have raisins in it, but since it was so cheap, they only put a few of them in there.
里面应该会有葡萄干,但它太便宜了,所以他们只会加一点点在里面。
And I remember the occasional raisin bite and how I felt like the happiest kid alive.
我记得偶尔吃到葡萄干时那种幸福溢于言表。
Now contrast that to today... There have been times where I'm eating a $100 steak
和现在比…我还吃过100美元的牛排呢,
and I'm pissed off and unhappy because I ordered a medium well but this looks more like a medium.
我很生气也不高兴,因为我点了七分熟的牛排,但它看起来更像五分熟。
My night is now officially ruined guys. I'm going to be negative for the rest of the night.
我整个夜晚都毁了。那晚余下的时间都也会在消极中度过。
Now, I'm not here to tell you that the stale, bland, 10 cent pastry is better than a $100 steak.

活出生命的意义

在这我不是想告诉你陈腐寡淡的10美分点心比100美元的牛排好。

I have a preference for the steak.
我更喜欢牛排。
There's nothing wrong with improving your life and being able to experience more.
改善生活并有能力去经历更多的事情这没什么问题。
But that's all it is. Just the ability to experience more.
但仅此而已。仅仅是经历更多的能力。
What I will guarantee you is that you either cultivate the ability to be happy
我能保证的是,要不你立刻培养幸福的能力,
and are able to be completely happy where you are right now.
并且无论身处何位都能完全幸福。
Or, I promise you there's absolutely nothing around you that you can chase to attain happiness.
要不,我保证你周围没有任何东西可以让你用来追求幸福。
Going from a 10 cent pastry to a $100 steak is like going from having to take the bus to owning a Ferrari.
从10美分的点心到100美元的牛排,就像是从乘坐公交到拥有一辆法拉利。
Now I'm going to say this again. Yes, it's okay if your preference is driving a Ferrari over taking the bus.
我再重申一下。是的,和坐公交比,如果你更喜欢开法拉利,那无可厚非。
But remember, all that does is just let you experience more. That's it.
但请记住,那只是让你体验更多。仅此而已。
So you're either happy on the bus right now just like you'll be happy when you have the Ferrari.
所以,要么你就像拥有法拉利一样高高兴兴的坐公车,
Or you aren't happy on the bus right now and you won't be happy in the Ferrari.
要么你现在在公交上不高兴,在法拉利上也不会高兴。
And you know, I look at my life right now, which is really really good.
你知道的,现在我看看自己过得相当好的生活。
But I also think of what it's going to be like in 5 years.
但我也会想五年之后会是什么样子。
And in 5 years, the quality of my life is going to be a hundred times better than what it is right now.
五年之后,我的生活质量会比现在好100倍。
It'll literally be like going from the 10 cent pastry to a $100 steak all over again.
就好像是从10美分点心到100美元牛排的重演。
But I have to keep reminding myself that I'm either going to be completely happy with that pastry right now
但我也一直提醒我自己,要么我就像
just as I'll be completely happy with the $100 steak in five years.
五年后拥有100美金的牛排那样高高兴兴的拥有小点心。
Or, I'm not going to be happy right now, and I'm not going to be happy in five years.
要么,我现在不高兴,五年后还是不高兴。
My second favorite idea is that there's a stimulus, which is what happens to you, which you can't control.
第二个很喜欢的观点是有发生在你身上的非控刺激性事物,
And then there's a response, which is what you do about it, which you have full control over.
然后会有回应,是你完全可以控制的对它的反应。
But we treat the response like we have no control over it. It's just completely automatic for most people.
但我们对待这种回应就像我们无法控制它一样。只是对大多数人来说是完全自动的。
Something bad happens to you, you automatically get pissed off.
有时发生不好的事情,你会自然而然的生气。
But the reality is, you don't have to. You have complete control over it.
但事实是,你不必生气。你完全可以控制。
Doesn't matter what kind of stimulus you're presented with,
不管面对的是什么样的刺激,
no one can ever take away the ability for you to choose whatever response you like.
没人能影响你做出决定的能力。
So let's say you're in the kitchen, and you break a bunch of new plates that you just bought.
比如你在厨房,打碎了刚买的一摞新盘子。
Now what's the automatic, natural reaction? Getting pissed off, right? You have to clean it up now.
自动本能的反应是什么?生气,对吗?你要打扫干净。
Plus you broke a bunch of plates that you just bought. Or, what could be your other response?
还有你打碎了一摞刚买的盘子。或者,其他反应是什么呢?
Cool, it's just a bunch of plates. It's not a big deal.
好啊,只是一摞盘子而已。没什么大不了。
It's actually great because it's giving me an opportunity to not get pissed off by the stupidest little things.
它给了我一个机会,让我不用为了那些愚蠢的小事生气,这太棒了。
Like, you can have gratitude for breaking the plates and having the opportunity to practice your virtue.
你可以对摔碎盘子并有机会践行你的美德而报以感激之心。
Remember you can pick whatever response you like. It's all up to you. Someone puts you down? Great!
记住你可以选择自己喜欢的任何反应。都由你决定。如果有人奚落你呢?太好了!
You're one step closer to not caring about what people think of you.
你离不乎别人的看法更近了一步。
Or, you can go home and cry about it. It's all up to you.
或者,你可以回家哭一通。决定权在你。
All the kids I grew up with, including myself,went through a lot of adversity.
所有和我一起长大的孩子,包括我在内,都经历了很多不幸。
You know what happened to most of them? They turned into alcoholics and drug addicts.
你知道在他们大多数人身上发生了什么吗?他们酗酒,吸毒。
You know what their excuse is? "I had to see my dad beat my mom.
你知道他们的借口是什么吗?“我看到爸爸打我妈妈。
My parents never had time to take care of me. I was so poor, I had no opportunity."
我的父母没有时间照顾我。我很穷,没有机会。”
You know what my reason is for the very humble accomplishments I have at 22-years-old?
你知道,在22岁时取得微不足道的成就,我的理由是什么吗?
The exact same thing. There's no way most people are going to have the same work ethic as me.
和他们同样的原因。大多数人都不可能有像我一样的职业道德。
Most people don't know what it's like to be 7 and out on the street collecting dirty bottles, so you can feed yourself.
大多数人不知道七岁的孩子在大街上收集脏兮兮的瓶子是什么样子,这样可以养活自己。
They just won't be able to compete with me, I'm sorry.
他们不能与我竞争,我很抱歉。
And I'm so thankful for every bullshit experience I've had, and I wouldn't change a single thing if I could.
我很感激所有糟糕的经历,如果可以的话我也不会改变任何事情。
Remember that... There's a stimulus which you can't control, but the response is all up to you.
记住…你无法控制事态发展,但你可以决定怎样回应。
Step in between that gap and realize that everything can be taken away from you but one remaining thing,
在这两者之间,要知道别人可以从你身边带走任何东西,但有一样带不走,
and that is the freedom to choose.
那就是选择的自由。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
response [ri'spɔns]

想一想再看

n. 回答,响应,反应,答复
n. [宗

联想记忆
absolutely ['æbsəlu:tli]

想一想再看

adv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地

 
beat [bi:t]

想一想再看

v. 打败,战胜,打,敲打,跳动
n. 敲打,

 
reaction [ri'ækʃən]

想一想再看

n. 反应,反作用力,化学反应

联想记忆
automatically [.ɔ:tə'mætikəli]

想一想再看

adv. 自动地,机械地

 
adversity [əd'və:siti]

想一想再看

n. 不幸,灾难

联想记忆
contrast ['kɔntræst,kən'træst]

想一想再看

n. 差别,对比,对照物
v. 对比,成对照<

 
gratitude ['grætitju:d]

想一想再看

n. 感恩之心

联想记忆
kitchen ['kitʃin]

想一想再看

n. 厨房,(全套)炊具,灶间

 
guarantee [.gærən'ti:]

想一想再看

n. 保证,保证书,担保,担保人,抵押品
vt

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。