手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

水上人家的生活

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

What do you say to people who just say, this is not a normal way of living?

有人说你们这种生活方式不正常,你怎么看?
Thank you very much.
我谢谢他
I'm Catherine, and this is my husband Wayne.
我是凯瑟琳,这是我丈夫韦恩
I'm Wayne, and welcome to Freedom Cove.
我是韦恩,欢迎来到自由湾
We live in a secluded cove.
我们住在一个隐秘的小山谷里
The only options we have to get here is by water.
只有一条水路通往这儿
There are no road accesses. The water is our highway.
这儿没有路,水就是我们的高速
Everything that you see here in our home is floating.
我们家所有东西都是漂浮在水面上的
We are tied to shore with lines.
我们用绳子把家和岸连起来
We are not anchored.
我们并没有抛锚
We have our main living house,
我们有一个主要居住的房屋
we have the dance floor, the lighthouse building, four greenhouses.
有舞池,有灯塔,还有四个温室
As I started to grow the garden and make it larger,
我开始种植花园以后,花园就越来越大
then we had to have more space for that garden.
我们不得不把花园的空间拓展得更大
Everything's done with a handsaw and hammer. No power tools.
所有的东西都是我们用锯子啊锤子啊手工打造的,没有一个带电的工具
I know every board and nail by name.
每一块板,每一个钉子我心里都有数的
It's about 500 tons, a million pounds that I'm floating.
漂着的这些东西差不多有500吨重,能值100万英镑
I've been building tree forts since I was seven. Yeah
我从七岁开始就会做树屋,没错
And I said, “Well, Dad, I'm putting a tree fort in the ocean.
那时我就说,“嗯,爸爸,我想在海里做一个树屋”
啊啊啊

Do you ever get seasick?

你有晕过船吗?
No, when I go to town I get landsick. Mm-hmm.
没有,但我去镇上的时候我会晕地,嗯啊
The thing about living in Clayoquot Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island
要说住在温哥华岛西岸的克拉夸桑德,
is it's the richest biomass on Earth,
这里是全世界生物量最密集的地方
so the opportunity to fish for dinner is big.
所以很容易钓到晚餐需要的鱼
I just get in my canoe and paddle out,
我只要坐到我的小船里,划出去
in 10 minutes I can catch a fish.
不用10分钟我就能钓到鱼
But when it's windy and too rough out there,
风太大,浪太高的时候
I can lay on the couch and fish out of the house.
我就直接躺在沙发上,把鱼竿伸到房子底下钓鱼
I was hoping to make a lot more money as an artist,
我本来希望自己能靠画画挣很多钱
so subsistence living was our only opportunity to have anything as artists.
现在看来,维持基本的生活已经成了我作为一个画家唯一能做的事情了
We could never buy a real estate,
因为我们买不起房子
so we had to make our own.
那我们就只能自己修了
It was a great opportunity to actually move away from the city,
其实这是一个非常好的机会,我们能够远离城市,
to see if we could prosper out here.
考验我们到底能不能在这里好好活下去
Now 24 years later, we're still doing it.
如今24年已经过去了,我们还在这里
I can't imagine living any other way. I feel completely fulfilled.
我完全无法想象自己换个活法会是什么样,现在我已经心满意足了
That's good, hon. That's really nice. I'm working on it.
那太好了,亲爱的。你真贴心!我会努力的

重点单词   查看全部解释    
rough [rʌf]

想一想再看

adj. 粗糙的,粗略的,粗暴的,艰难的,讨厌的,不适的

 
estate [is'teit]

想一想再看

n. 财产,房地产,状态,遗产

联想记忆
hammer ['hæmə]

想一想再看

n. 锤,榔头
vi. 锤击,反复敲打

 
prosper ['prɔspə]

想一想再看

vi. 繁盛,成功,兴旺

联想记忆
minutes ['minits]

想一想再看

n. 会议记录,(复数)分钟

 
opportunity [.ɔpə'tju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 机会,时机

 

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 中国有座巴黎城 2017-11-10
  • 非洲猎豹 为速度而生 2017-11-13
  • 恐怖电影配乐怎么诞生的 2017-11-15
  • 人去世了纹身怎么保留下来 2017-11-16
  • 世界上最强壮的人 2017-11-17
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。