手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

一个无人驾驶的世界会是什么样的

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Some people are obsessed by French wines. Others love playing golf or devouring literature.

有些人对法国葡萄酒着迷,有些人喜欢打高尔夫球,或者沉浸在文学作品里。
One of my greatest pleasures in life is, I have to admit, a bit special.
我生活中最大的乐趣是,我不得不承认,有点特殊。
I cannot tell you how much I enjoy watching cities from the sky, from an airplane window.
我无法形容我有多么享受从飞机上俯视整个城市。
Some cities are calmly industrious, like Dusseldorf or Louisville.
有些城市的工业化程度刚刚好,比如杜塞尔多夫,或者路易维尔。
Others project an energy that they can hardly contain, like New York or Hong Kong.
而有些城市已经早已不堪重负,像纽约或香港。
And then you have Paris or Istanbul, and their patina full of history.
然后,还有像巴黎,伊斯坦堡这样充满历史的城市。
I see cities as living beings. And when I discover them from far above,
我把城市当作生命体,当我从高空鸟瞰它们的时候,
I like to find those main streets and highways that structure their space.
我喜欢寻找那些组成了城市框架的主要街道和高速公路。
Especially at night, when commuters make these arteries look dramatically red and golden:
特别是在晚上,人们让这些城市的动脉变得异常鲜红和金黄:
the city's vascular system performing its vital function right before your eyes.
城市的血液循环系统生机勃勃地展现在你的眼前。
But when I'm sitting in my car after an hour and a half of commute every day, that reality looks very different.
但是,当我坐在自己的车里,每天有一个半小时的时间都堵在路上,眼前的一切就截然不同了。
Nothing -- not public radio, no podcast -- Not even mindfulness meditation makes this time worth living.
什么都没有--没有广播节目,没有播客,连能让这些时间变得有点意义的专注的冥想都做不到。
Isn't it absurd that we created cars that can reach 130 miles per hour
这难道不可笑吗?我们制造了能够达到时速210公里的汽车,
and we now drive them at the same speed as 19th-century horse carriages?
却以19世纪马车一样的速度驾驶它们。
In the US alone, we spent 29.6 billion hours commuting in 2014.
仅仅在美国,2014年我们就花了296亿小时在通勤上。
With that amount of time, ancient Egyptians could have built 26 Pyramids of Giza.
在这么多的时间里,古埃及人都能造出26个胡夫金字塔了。
We do that in one year. A monumental waste of time, energy and human potential.
我们用了一年就做到了。这是对时间,精力和人类潜能巨大的浪费。
For decades, our remedy for congestion was simple: build new roads or enlarge existing ones. And it worked.
数十年来,我们解决交通拥堵的方式都很简单:建造新路或者拓宽现存的道路,效果还算不错。
It worked admirably for Paris, when the city tore down hundreds of historical buildings to create 85 miles of transportation-friendly boulevards.
巴黎的建设卓有成效,他们拆毁了上百幢历史建筑,建造了137公里的交通友好型的大道。
And it still works today in fast-growing emerging cities.
在当今快速兴起的城市中也是如此。
But in more established urban centers, significant network expansions are almost impossible:
但是在很多繁华的城市中心,较大的道路拓宽几乎是不可能的:
habitat is just too dense, real estate, too expensive and public finances, too fragile.
建筑过于密集,房价过高,公共建设资金太少。
Our city's vascular system is getting clogged, it's getting sick, and we should pay attention.
我们的城市血液循环系统正在变得拥堵,无法正常发挥功能,应该引起我们的重视。
Our current way of thinking is not working. For our transportation to flow, we need a new source of inspiration.
我们现有的思维方式已经不起作用了。为了让交通流动起来,我们需要一种新的灵感。
So after 16 years working in transportation, my "aha moment" happened when speaking with a biotech customer.
我在交通部门工作了16年,在和一个生物技术背景的顾客交谈时突然茅塞顿开。
She was telling me how her treatment was leveraging specific properties of our vascular system.
她告诉我她的研究如何影响了我们血液循环系统的一些特殊性质。
"Wow," I thought, "Our vascular system -- all the veins and arteries in our body making miracles of logistics every day."
“哇”,我想到,“我们的血液循环系统, 我们身体内的所有动脉和静脉,每天都在创造生理的奇迹。”
This is the moment I realized that biology has been in the transportation business for billions of years.
就是那个时候我意识到,生物学已经存在于交通方面几十亿年了。
It has been testing countless solutions to move nutrients, gases and proteins.
它已经测试过无数方法,转移养分,气体和蛋白质。
It really is the world's most sophisticated transportation laboratory.
这真的是世界上最复杂的交通系统。
So, what if the solution to our traffic challenges was inside us?
所以,如果交通拥堵的解决方案就在我们体内呢?
I wanted to know: Why is it that blood flows in our veins most of our lives, when our big cities get clogged on a daily basis?
我想知道,为什么绝大多数时间,血液在血管中不会堵塞?但我们的大城市每天都会拥堵?
And the reality is that you're looking at two very different networks.
事实上,这是两种非常不同的系统。
I don't know if you realize, but each of us has 60,000 miles of blood vessels in our bodies -- 60,000 miles.
我不知道你意识到了没有,实际上我们每个人体内都有近十万公里长的血管--十万公里。
That's two-and-a-half times the Earth's circumference, inside you.
你的体内有两个半的地球赤道。
What it means is that blood vessels are everywhere inside us, not just under the surface of our skin.
这意味着血管在你身体里无处不在,不仅只在皮肤下面(看得见的地方)。
But if you look at our cities, yes, we have some underground subway systems and some tunnels and bridges, and also some helicopters in the sky.
但是,看看我们的城市,是,我们的确有一些地铁系统,一些隧道和桥梁,以及天空中的直升机。
But the vast majority of our traffic is focused on the ground, on the surface.
但是绝大多数的交通都是在地面,在地表上。
So in other words, while our vascular system uses the three dimensions inside us,
换句话说,我们体内的血管系统是立体结构的,
our urban transportation is mostly two-dimensional. And so what we need is to embrace that verticality.
而绝大多数的城市交通系统都是平面结构的。所以我们需要利用更多的纵向空间。
If our surface grid is saturated, well, let's elevate our traffic.
如果地表已经没有多余的空间,那我们就把交通系统抬高。
This Chinese concept of a bus that can straddle traffic jams
这个中国的概念巴士能够凌驾于拥堵的交通道路之上,
that was an eye-opener on new ways to think about space and movement inside our cities.
这种对城市内部的空间和移动的思考方式,多么让人大开眼界。
And we can go higher, and suspend our transportation like we did with our electrical grid.
然而我们可以把交通系统的位置继续抬升,像我们的输电网络一样。
Tel Aviv and Abu Dhabi are talking about testing these futuristic networks of suspended magnetic pods.
特拉维夫和阿布扎比正在考虑检测这些构成未来交通网络的悬挂式磁性胶囊车厢。
And we can keep climbing, and fly.
我们还可以继续抬高,甚至飞翔。
The fact that a company like Airbus is now seriously working on flying urban taxis is telling us something.
事实上像空中客车这样的公司正在认真研究城市飞行的士,看起来前景光明。
Flying cars are finally moving from science-fiction déjà vu to attractive business-case territory. And that's an exciting moment.
飞行汽车终于从科幻小说进入到了引人注目的商业领域。这是令人激动的时刻。
So building this 3-D transportation network is one of the ways we can mitigate and solve traffic jams.
建造这些立体交通网络是减少或解决交通堵塞的方法之一。
But it's not the only one. We have to question other fundamental choices that we made, like the vehicles we use.
但还有其他方法。我们还要考虑其他基本的选择,比如我们使用的交通工具。
Just imagine a very familiar scene: You've been driving for 42 minutes.
想象一个非常熟悉的场景:你已经开车42分钟了。
The two kids behind you are getting restless. And you're late.
后座的两个小孩开始不耐烦。而且你要迟到了。
Do you see that slow car in front of you? Always comes when you're late, right?
你看到前面那辆慢吞吞的车了吗?总是在你迟到的时候出现,对吧?
That driver is looking for parking. There is no parking spot available in the area, but how would he know?
那个驾驶员正在寻找停车位。那块区域没有空车位,但是他怎么会知道?
It is estimated that up to 30 percent of urban traffic is generated by drivers looking for parking.
据估计,有将近30%的城市交通拥堵是由驾驶员找车位造成的。
Do you see the 100 cars around you? Eighty-five of them only have one passenger.
你看见身边的100辆车了吗?其中的85辆都只有一位乘客。

一个无人驾驶的世界会是什么样的

Those 85 drivers could all fit in one Londonian red bus.

那85个驾驶员能够装满一辆伦敦红巴士。
So the question is: Why are we wasting so much space if it is what we need the most? Why are we doing this to ourselves?
所以问题是,为什么我们浪费这么多宝贵的空间?为什么我们要这样对自己?
Biology would never do this. Space inside our arteries is fully utilized.
生物学永远不会这样。我们血管的空间都被充分利用了。
At every heartbeat, a higher blood pressure literally compacts millions of red blood cells into massive trains of oxygen that quickly flow throughout our body.
每一次心跳产生的血压能够为数百万血细胞压缩大量的氧气进行运输,并很快流遍全身。
And the tiny space inside our red blood cells is not wasted, either.
连血细胞内的微小空间也没有被浪费。
In healthy conditions, more than 95 percent of their oxygen capacity is utilized.
在健康条件下,超过95%的氧容量都能够被使用。
Can you imagine if the vehicles we used in our cities were 95 percent full,
你能够想象如果我们城市里超过95%的交通工具都是满载的,
all the additional space you would have to walk, to bike and to enjoy our cities?
剩下的空间,能够让你自由地走路,骑车,享受这个城市吗?
The reason blood is so incredibly efficient is that our red blood cells are not dedicated to specific organs or tissues;
血液是如此有效率的原因,是我们的血细胞不只作用于特定器官或组织;
otherwise, we would probably have traffic jams in our veins.
要不然,我们的血管可能也会堵塞。
No, they're shared. They're shared by all the cells of our body.
它们实际上是共享的。它们被身体所有的细胞共有。
And because our network is so extensive,
但是因为我们的身体系统如此庞大,
each one of our 37 trillion cells gets its own deliveries of oxygen precisely when it needs them.
37万亿细胞中的每一个都有自己的氧气输送渠道,有需要时能实现精准输送。
Blood is both a collective and individual form of transportation.
血液既是集体,也是个体的运输方式。
But for our cities, we've been stuck.
但是对我们的城市来说,我们被困住了。
We've been stuck in an endless debate between creating a car-centric society or extensive mass-transit systems.
我们被无尽的争辩困住了,纠结于创造一个以汽车为中心的社会,还是打造大型的交通系统。
I think we should transcend this.
我觉得我们应该跳出这些限制。
I think we can create vehicles that combine the convenience of cars and the efficiencies of trains and buses.
我觉得我们能建造出结合传统汽车的便捷和火车巴士的效率的交通工具。
Just imagine. You're comfortably sitting in a fast and smooth urban train, along with 1,200 passengers.
想想看,你舒服地坐在一辆快速平稳的城市火车上,还有其他1200个乘客。
The problem with urban trains is that sometimes you have to stop five, ten, fifteen times before your final destination.
城市火车的问题在于有时候你要停下五次、十次、十五次,才到达你的站点。
What if in this train you didn't have to stop?
如果这个火车不用停下呢?
In this train, wagons can detach dynamically while you're moving and become express, driverless buses that move on a secondary road network.
这辆火车的车厢能够在移动中自动脱离,成为高速的无人驾驶巴士,飞驰在次级运输道路上。
And so without a single stop, nor a lengthy transfer, you are now sitting in a bus that is headed toward your suburb.
所以无需任何停顿,也无需长距离的换乘,你正坐在一辆驶向城区的巴士中。
And when you get close, the section you're sitting in detaches and self-drives you right to your doorstep.
快到的时候,你所坐的部分会脱离,自动驾驶到你的目的地跟前。
It is collective and individual at the same time.
这就同时实现了集体和个体运输。
This could be one of the shared, modular, driverless vehicles of tomorrow.
这可能就是未来的公共模块化无人驾驶交通工具之一。
Now ... as if walking in a city buzzing with drones, flying taxis, modular buses and suspended magnetic pods was not exotic enough,
现在再想象一下,你行走在满是无人机,飞行的士,模块化巴士和悬挂式磁性胶囊车厢的城市,这还不够天马行空。
I think there is another force in action that will make urban traffic mesmerizing.
我觉得还有一个方法,能够减轻城市交通堵塞。
If you think about it, the current generation of driverless cars is just trying to earn its way into a traffic grid made by and for humans.
想想看,现在的无人驾驶汽车都在尝试适应人类的驾驶网络。
They're trying to learn traffic rules, which is relatively simple,
它们在尝试学习相对简单的交通规则,
and coping with human unpredictability, which is more challenging.
并适应人类行为的不确定性,这相对比较难。
But what would happen when whole cities become driverless?
但是当整个城市都实现了无人驾驶,会发生什么?
Would we need traffic lights? Would we need lanes? How about speed limits?
我们还需要红绿灯吗?我们需要车道吗?限速呢?
Red blood cells are not flowing in lanes. They never stop at red lights.
血细胞可不是沿着特定的通道移动。他们从不在红灯停下。
In the first driverless cities, you would have no red lights and no lanes.
第一个无人驾驶城市,不会有红灯和车道。
And when all the cars are driverless and connected, everything is predictable and reaction time, minimum.
当车辆都实现无人驾驶并互相联网的时候,任何事情都是可预测的,反应时间达到最短。
They can drive much faster and can take any rational initiative that can speed them up or the cars around them.
它们能够驾驶得更快,可以理性地做出选择来加速,或者让身边的车辆先行。
So instead of rigid traffic rules, flow will be regulated by a mesh of dynamic and constantly self-improving algorithms.
没有严格的交通规则,车流会被一个流动网络和不断自我改进的算法管制。
The result: a strange traffic that mixes the fast and smooth rigor of German autobahns and the creative vitality of the intersections of Mumbai.
结果就产生了一种新颖的交通,混合了德国高速公路的快捷和通畅以及孟买交岔路的创造性和活力。
Traffic will be functionally exuberant. It will be liquid like our blood.
交通会在功能上更活跃,变成血液一样的液体。
And by a strange paradox, the more robotized our traffic grid will be, the more organic and alive its movement will feel.
听上去像是一种悖论,但我们的交通越机械自动化,就会如有机体般变得更活跃。
So yes, biology has all the attributes of a transportation genius today.
所以是的,生物学包含着所有关于交通运输的智慧。
But this process has taken billions of years, and went through all sorts of iterations and mutations.
但是这个过程花了数十亿年,经过了无数消除和变异的过程。
We can't wait billions of years to evolve our transportation system.
我们没法等待数十亿年来改善交通系统。
We now have the dreams, the concepts and the technology to create 3-D transportation networks,
我们现在有了梦想,概念和技术,来创造立体交通网络,
invent new vehicles and change the flow in our cities. Let's do it. Thank you.
研发新的交通工具,来改变城市的交通流动。让我们行动起来吧。谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
territory ['teritəri]

想一想再看

n. 领土,版图,领域,范围

联想记忆
rigid ['ridʒid]

想一想再看

adj. 僵硬的,刻板的,严格的

 
function ['fʌŋkʃən]

想一想再看

n. 功能,函数,职务,重大聚会
vi. 运行

 
industrious [in'dʌstriəs]

想一想再看

adj. 勤劳的,勤奋的

 
urban ['ə:bən]

想一想再看

adj. 城市的,都市的

联想记忆
flowing ['fləuiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 流动的;平滑的;上涨的 v. 流动;起源;上涨

 
transcend [træn'send]

想一想再看

v. 超越,胜过

联想记忆
destination [.desti'neiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 目的地,终点,景点

 
additional [ə'diʃənl]

想一想再看

adj. 附加的,另外的

 
transportation [.trænspə'teiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 运输,运输系统,运输工具

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。