This is Everyday Grammar. I'm Kaveh.
欢迎收看《每日语法》栏目,我是卡维。
And I'm Lucija. Kaveh, remember our episode on euphemisms?
我是露西佳。卡维,你还记得我们那期关于委婉语的节目吗?
Sure I do! Poor Jack, I hope he's feeling better!
当然,可怜的杰克,我希望他感觉好些了!
Well, it is a sad story...Anyway, we talked about Euphemistic Phrasal Verbs,
这是个悲伤的故事……总之,我们讨论了委婉的动词短语,
but we didn't talk about Euphemistic Adjectives and Nouns.
但没说过委婉形容词和名词。
We didn't? Nope, so I suggest we talk about them today.
没说过吗?没有,所以我建议今天讨论它们。
A Euphemism is an indirect way of describing something that could be considered harsh, rude or offensive.
委婉语是一种间接的表达方式,用于表达被认为是刺耳、粗鲁或具有攻击性的内容。
The vague language is often used to make something seem more socially acceptable or less unpleasant.
它经常使用模糊语言,使事物更容易被社会接受或减少不愉快。
Americans often use Euphemistic Adjective or Noun Phrases.
美国人经常使用委婉形容词或名词短语。
For example, some stores use the term "adult beverages" to mean alcohol.
比如,一些商店用“adult beverages”代指酒精。
The two words have the same meaning, but "adult beverages" sounds more polite.
这两个词意思相同,但“adult beverages”听起来更礼貌。
Let's take a look at some other examples:
我们看看其他例子:
Correctional facility-Jail, Big-boned-fat, Economically disadvantaged-poor,
Correctional facility代指Jail,Big-boned代指fat,Economically disadvantaged代指poor,
pre-owned car-used car, senior-old.
pre-owned car代指used car,senior代指old。
How could we use them in a sentence?
我们在句子中如何使用它们呢?
The court sentenced the thief to a year in a correctional facility.
法庭判处这个小偷一年的监禁。
Sam is a senior citizen.
萨姆是老年人。
I sell pre-owned cars.
我卖了旧汽车。
My neighbor is big-boned.
我的邻居是胖子。
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的全部内容。