手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

《E.T. 外星人》游戏史上的灾难

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Okay, so let's just, let's just put it on the table, here, okay,

行了。我们就直说吧,好吗?
E.T. is frequently cited as one of the worst video games in history.
《E.T.》被频频列入有史以来最糟糕的电子游戏行列。
I got to read a magazine that said that my game was single-handedly responsible for the crash of the video game industry in the early 80s.
我看到有杂志说,就是我开发的这款游戏导致了八十年代早期电子游戏行业的暴跌。
That's a good one.
哈哈哈哈哈,说得好!
People are reticent to ask me about it, they think I'm very sensitive about it,
说到这个大家就会很小心翼翼,因为他们觉得我对这个问题会很敏感。
you know, “Oh my God, you did the worst game of all time, you know, don't you wanna hide?” and it's like, no.
他们想说“我的老天爷,你做了个有史以来最糟糕的游戏,你会不会想找个地缝钻进去?”当然不会了。
Howard Scott Warshaw. He was a video game programmer for Atari in the early 80s.
这位是Howard Scott Warshaw,他是雅达利八十年代早期的一位电脑游戏设计师。
He made some of the most beloved games for the Atari 2600.
他设计过几款雅达利2000最热门的游戏。
I made Yars' Revenge, then I followed that with Raiders of the Lost Ark, I had had two very successful games, both million sellers.
我设计的作品包括《亚尔的复仇》,接下来是《夺宝奇兵》,这两款游戏都非常成功,销量都在百万台以上。
I truly believed everything I touched, hopefully, was gonna turn to gold because I was gonna put everything I had into it.
我坚信,我做的任何游戏都可能变成宝贝,因为我会倾尽全力去做好它。
One fateful day, Howard received a call from the CEO of Atari,
事关命运的一天,Howard接到了雅达利总裁的一个电话,
asking him if he wanted to take on their highest profile game ever, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial.
问他愿不愿意接手他们有史以来最备受期待的游戏《E.T.外星人》
And I said, "We definitely can do that."
然后我说,“当然能做了。”
3

But, there was one major caveat.

然而,有一个很关键的问题。
It had to be something that related to the movie, and it had to be doable in five weeks.
游戏必须跟电影有关,而且必须在五周内完成。
I mean, I had five weeks to do the game, so I was working all the time.
我只有五周的时间来做这款游戏啊,我没日没夜地赶工。
E.T. was gonna be a basic puzzle game, with some challenges that you run around to solve
E.T.基本上是一个益智游戏,玩家需要不断前进不断闯关。
and if I redistribute the pieces among enough different, random places, it makes a fresh challenge each time around, and bingo.
而且如果我把所有的关卡打乱重新随机排列,这个游戏就能变成一个全新的挑战,没错。
When it was released, E.T. was an immediate success, selling over a million copies.
《E.T.》一发售就火了,成交量达上百万份。
But a few months later, things started to turn.
然而,几个月后,情况开始不妙。
Retailers are starting to find that the game is not moving, it's coming back, a lot of people are disappointed with it.
零售商开始发现这款游戏不仅没有前进还在倒退,很多人对此都非常不满。
Because of the poor planning and tight production schedule, Howard failed to catch a fundamental flaw in the game's design.
因为设计粗糙,加上时间比较仓促,Howard在设计时忽视了一个很大的漏洞。
There are too many times where you make a move, you do something,
你好不容易开始了游戏,开始行动起来,
and suddenly you wind up somewhere else, now suddenly you're somewhere else, and there's too many places in E.T. where the user is disoriented,
却被卡在了某个地方,然后一下子又到了别的地方,而且,这个游戏里有太多用户分不清方向的地方了。
and that's a sin of which I am guilty, and I have been serving penance.
这是我的错,我一直都在忏悔。
Shortly after E.T.'s release, the video game crash was in full swing.
《E.T.》发售不久,电子游戏行业的灾难已经无可避免。
Disappointing sales and mismanagement forced Atari to restructure.
可怜的业绩加上管理不善,雅达利不得不开始重组公司。
And in the next couple of months, Atari went from 10,000 employees to 2,000 employees.
接下来的几个月里,雅达利的员工数目从一万人锐减到了两千人。
During the turmoil, Howard left the gaming industry for good.
在这次动荡中,Howard永远地离开了游戏行业。
He didn't think much about E.T. until nearly a decade later.
之后的将近十年里他都再也没有想过E.T.这个游戏。
Well, by the early 90s, people started coming out with what a bad game E.T. was.
到了90年代早期,人们开始抱怨《E.T.》这款游戏多么多么糟糕。
I was just kinda surprised anybody was actually even talking about it.
那么多年过去了大家还在讨论这个游戏,我感到非常吃惊。
Good afternoon, some of those E.T. Atari games unearthed at a New Mexico landfill are now up for sale.
观众朋友们下午好。有人在新墨西哥的垃圾堆里挖除了雅达利《E.T.》的游戏卡带,正准备出售。
Beaten up cartridges on eBay are going for hundreds of dollars a piece.
eBay上有人卖旧卡带,价格高达数百美元。
So we had a poll online-- - Yeah.
我们在网上做了一个调查——是嘛。
Where fans could choose what game they wanted to see you play.Okay.
让粉丝们选出他们希望你玩的游戏。好吧。
They chose this. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.
他们选了这个。《E.T. 外星人》
Even 30 years later, this obscure thing that I did so long ago in just five weeks,
即使已经过去三十年了,我用五周的时间做出来的这个如今已经过时的东西,
it's still generating excitement, enthusiasm. I get emotional just talking about it now.
还是能让我兴奋起来,我现在说到这个情绪还是会很激动。
Because I just felt I was at the center of something that is still meaningful.
因为我觉得我是这款游戏的核心人物,而这个东西至今还有价值。
And that is a huge success.
这已经是巨大的成功了。
So when people ask me, you know, "Was E.T. a failure?"
所以,当人们问起我“我是否觉得E.T.是个失败的作品”时,
I don't mind when people call it that, but it'll never, it'll never be a failure to me.
我并不会介意大家这么说,但我从来从来不觉得它失败。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
penance ['penəns]

想一想再看

n. 自我惩罚,(赎罪的)苦行

联想记忆
touched [tʌtʃt]

想一想再看

adj. 受感动的 adj. 精神失常的

 
decade ['dekeid]

想一想再看

n. 十年

联想记忆
disappointing [.disə'pɔintiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 令人失望的 动词disappoint的现在分词

 
disoriented [dis'ɔ:rientid]

想一想再看

adj. 无判断力的;分不清方向或目标的 v. 使…迷惑

 
sensitive ['sensitiv]

想一想再看

adj. 敏感的,灵敏的,易受伤害的,感光的,善解人意的

联想记忆
immediate [i'mi:djət]

想一想再看

adj. 立即的,即刻的,直接的,最接近的

联想记忆
flaw [flɔ:]

想一想再看

n. 瑕疵,缺陷,裂缝
v. 使破裂,有瑕疵

 
revenge [ri'vendʒ]

想一想再看

n. 报仇,报复,复仇愿望,获得满足的机会
v

联想记忆
sin [sin]

想一想再看

n. 原罪
v. 犯罪,违反(教规)

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。