Welcome to English @ the Movies, where we teach you American English heard at the movies.
欢迎来到《看电影学英语》节目,我们在这里教授你在电影中听到的美式英语。
Our expression today is "suicide mission", from the movie "Annihilation".
我们今天的短语是suicide mission,出自电影《湮灭》。
In this film, a biologist's husband disappears, she signs up for what could be dangerous work.
在这部电影当中,一位生物学家的丈夫失踪了,于是她报名参加了可能很危险的任务。
She agrees to explore an area that has been taken over by a mysterious force.
她同意去探索一个被一种神秘力量所统治的区域。
Listen for the expression "suicide mission".
留意听一下suicide mission这个表达。
Did your husband contact you at any point while he was away? No.
你的丈夫在外出期间,有没有在某一时刻联系过你?没有。
It was his decision to go in.
进入这个地方是他自己的决定。
Why did my husband volunteer for a suicide mission?
为什么我的丈夫会志愿参加一个自杀性的任务?
So what do you think "suicide mission" means?
那么你认为suicide mission是什么意思?
Is it: a project considered so dangerous that you are not expected to survive or a plan to hurt yourself?
是指一项被认为很危险、你不太可能活下来的项目,还是一项会伤害你自己的计划?
Listen again. Did you have the right answer?
再听一遍。你知道正确答案了吗?
Did your husband contact you at any point while he was away? No.
你的丈夫在外出期间,有没有在某一时刻联系过你?没有。
Why did my husband volunteer for a suicide mission?
为什么我的丈夫会志愿参加一个自杀性的任务?
"Suicide mission" means a project considered so dangerous that you are not expected to survive.
suicide mission的意思是指一项被认为很危险、你不太可能活下来的项目。
In this film, the area being explored is dangerous and under the control of a mysterious force.
在这部电影当中,要进行探索的那个区域很危险,并且被一种神秘力量所控制。
Just like her husband, the biologist does not have a good chance of surviving.
和她的丈夫一样,这位生物学家不太有可能活下来。
She decides to risk her life to try to save him.
她决定冒着生命危险去拯救自己的丈夫。
And that is English @ the Movies.
以上就是今天的《看电影学英语》。