手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

浪子回头 杀人犯监狱教金融课

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

We gonna go ahead and get situated.

我们继续,摸清形势。
This is the finance program, and we always like to see new faces.
欢迎来到“财务计划”课堂,我们随时欢迎新面孔的到来。
When you come to Wall Street's financial literacy class,
在华尔街的金融扫盲课堂上,
you're gonna see people with tattoos and dreds,
你会看到有纹身的学员,有留长发的学员,
and just people you normally wouldn't expect to see learning finance.
反正就是你平时在金融课上没有机会看到的那些人。
You're gonna see people with all different backgrounds looking for hope.
你会看到,虽然他们有着不同的背景,但他们都是在追寻希望。
He makes it universal.
是他打破了学金融的背景门槛。
If I tell you I'll give you the 50 bucks, but I want you to pay me back $50 in interest, what you gonna say?
如果我跟你说,我给你50美元,但你得给我交50美元的利息,你觉得行吗?
I'm gonna say "no." You gonna say what? No. And why you gonna say no?
“不行”。你觉得怎么样?不行。为什么不行?
They call me Wall Street because I teach all of the financial classes here at San Quentin.
大家都叫我“华尔街”,因为圣昆丁监狱所有的金融课程都是我在教。
I've been teaching financial education for about 10 years now.
我已经教了差不多10年的金融课了。
I am in prison for participating in a robbery-murder,
我是因为参与抢劫杀人被关起来的,
and I was sentenced to 54 years to life in prison for that crime,
判了54年有期徒刑至终身监禁,
and I've been incarcerated now for 22 years.
到现在已经关了22年了。
These are the stocks that I picked, MasterCard, I got at 89, they're at 200.
这些是我买的股票,万事达卡,我买的时候是89美分,现在已经涨到200美分了。
Wall Street came to prison illiterate.
华尔街刚进来的时候还是个文盲。
He doesn't have a college education to this day;
他现在也没有接受过大学教育;
he only has a GED, and yet, this guy is successfully trading from prison.
他只有高中文凭,但他竟然真的在监狱里做起了股票生意。
Marcelli, who had come from juvenile hall with me,
马塞利我俩是一起从少管所转过来的,
he would read the sports page to me, he'd be like, man, go get it; and I'll read it, and I grabbed the paper, and I was like, I got it.
他会给我读报纸上的体育新闻,读的时候他就跟我说,“兄弟,你拿过来我就给你念”;然后我就过去拿呗。
When I turned around, an older guy said, "Hey, man, you play the stock market?"
转身的时候,一哥们儿说:“嘿,老兄,你也玩股票吗?”
And I realized that I picked up the business section instead of the sports page.
我才发现我拿的是股票新闻,不是体育新闻。
I was like, ah, man, and I asked him what the stock market was, and he told me, he said, that's the place where white folks keep all their money.
我当时的反应就是,“啊,不是吧,”我就问他什么是股票,他告诉我,股票就是白人把所有的钱都存起来的地方。
And that's when I really first discovered the stock market.
那就是我第一次接触股票的情形。
So, I started teaching myself how to read.
于是,我开始自学认字。
Family or friends on the outside opened up online brokerage accounts,
我外面的家人或朋友由注册股票买卖账户的,
and I basically told them what to buy and when to buy and when to sell.
我主要就是告诉他们买哪支,什么时候买,什么时候卖。
And it was just simply, it was really just that easy.
真的就是这么简单,真的。
This is the finance program, but I don't teach about finance.
这门课叫“财务计划”,但我要教的并不是财务。
I teach financial empowerment emotional literacy.
我要教的是金融赋予的情感素养。
That's what I teach.
这就是我要教的内容。
So, I think financial education is important for incarcerated people,
我认为对犯人进行金融教育是非常重要的,
3

given that the crimes that are committed are financially motivated and driven.

因为他们就是为了谋财才犯的罪。
When I learned about financial education myself,
我自己学习金融教育的时候,
I thought that would be something that other men in my same situation could benefit from.
就觉得和我有着同样遭遇的人也能够从中受益。
And so now the program teaches incarcerated men
我们这个计划就是来教犯人们
how to better manage their emotions and relations to their financial standing.
如何更好地管理自己的情绪,如何更好地面对自己的财务状况。
So, you gotta weigh your strategies when you're talking about giving yourself room to start saving money.
所以,准备开始存钱的时候,你就得权衡你的策略。
When you're traumatized you do a lot of things you don't know why you're doing them.
受到创伤的时候,你做的很多事情,连你自己也不知道你为什么会那么做。
And that happens with finance, too.
在金融问题上也是一样。
I suffered a lot of trauma in my life, and my trauma culminated in me murdering a man.
我一辈子也遭受了很多创伤,最严重的一次是我杀了一个人。
So, while this is very important to me because I do need to manage my money and manage my life,
所以,虽然权衡策略对我来说非常重要,因为我确实需要好好管理我的经济状况,管理我的生活,
what's most important is that I'm managing my emotional responsibilities,
但最重要的是,我要管理好我自己的情绪责任,
because the last time I didn't do that, a man lost his life.
因为上一次我放任自己的时候,有人付出了生命的代价。
I don't think you can have full rehabilitation without financial education.
在我看来,没有接受过经济教育是无法完全康复的。
I can make amends for the crimes that I've done, I can even stop doing the things that I've done,
我可以弥补我所犯下的罪行,甚至不再重蹈我以前的覆辙,
but I think for people who were criminals, when you empower those people,
但我觉得,那些戴罪之身,当你赋予他们力量,
and they know that they don't have to commit a crime like I did,
让他们明白,他们不必像我一样违法犯罪,
when I learned I didn't have to commit crime,
当我知道我不用犯罪的时候,
it was like, wow, I can really make something of my life and not have to be a criminal.
我就觉得,“哇,我真的能够干一番事业,真的不用再犯法了”。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
stock [stɔk]

想一想再看

n. 存货,储备; 树干; 血统; 股份; 家畜

 
trauma ['trɔ:mə]

想一想再看

n. 精神创伤,外伤

联想记忆
criminal ['kriminl]

想一想再看

adj. 犯罪的,刑事的,违法的
n. 罪犯

联想记忆
emotional [i'məuʃənl]

想一想再看

adj. 感情的,情绪的

 
rehabilitation [.ri:hə.bili'teiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 复原

 
motivated ['məutiveitid]

想一想再看

adj. 有动机的;有积极性的 v. 使产生动机;激发…

 
universal [.ju:ni'və:səl]

想一想再看

adj. 普遍的,通用的,宇宙的,全体的,全世界的

 
committed [kə'mitid]

想一想再看

adj. 献身于某种事业的,委托的

联想记忆
illiterate [i'litərit]

想一想再看

adj. 文盲的,无知的
n. 文盲

联想记忆
empower [im'pauə]

想一想再看

vt. 授与权力,增加自主权

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。