手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 沃克斯独立观点 > 正文

宇航员都没吃过的宇航员冰淇淋

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Astronauts icecream is not something that we eat because it tastes good.

宇航员冰淇淋不是那种好吃所以我们才吃的东西。
Oh, I think I broke a tooth! "Very chalky."
“啊,感觉我的牙咯到了!” “感觉特别像在吃粉笔。”
"Some kind of flavored medicine."
“跟有味道的药差不多。”
It's the marshmallow bits in Lucky Charms.
“口感和Lucky Charms的棉花糖差不多。”
We do it because "it's what the astronauts eat."
我们吃它是因为“这是宇航员吃的东西。”
But here's the problem.
但有一个问题。
"Is that what this video's about? Do they not actually eat space ice cream in space?"
“这个视频是不是就是要讨论这个?是不是他们在太空不吃这个冰淇淋?”
Astronaut ice cream is a lie. A crumbly, chalky lie.
宇航员冰淇淋其实是个谎言。一个口感脆脆的,像粉笔的谎言。
This is the National Air and Space Museum's Storage Facility.
这里是国家航空航天博物馆的仓库。
It really looks like something from Indiana Jones.
看着特别有《夺宝奇兵》的感觉。
And they have a lot of space food.
这里储藏着很多很多的太空食品。
Stuff like John Glenn's feeding tube, Apollo era chocolate cubes and the solar system's greatest cookie feeder.
包括约翰格伦用的喂食管,阿波罗时代的巧克力块和太阳系最大的饼干喂食器。
"Yeah, the dispenser on the tube here is very much like what you would think of as a Pez dispenser."
“没错,这种喂食管的管嘴确实很像佩兹糖果盒里那种。”
But when you ask to see the astronaut ice cream: "We don't have any."
但当你问能不能看看宇航员冰淇淋时:“我们没有那个东西。”
It's surprisingly hard to track down the truth about the stuff.
要追查这个东西的真相难之有难。
The only original info we have is a press release from NASA and a newspaper clipping from 1968, suggesting that vanilla ice cream might have gone up on Apollo 7.
我们找到的唯一一条原始信息是一份1968年的剪报上的一篇NASA新闻稿,文章表明香草冰淇淋可能随阿波罗7号到过太空。
The people who make astronaut ice cream can't confirm it either.
制造宇航员冰淇淋的人并不能确认这一说法是否可靠。
Right now I'm going to be calling the people who make this.
“现在我打电话问问制造这种冰淇淋的厂家。”
I can not verify one way or the other. I wasn't with the company then.
“我怎么也证实不了。因为那个时候我还没在公司。”
So I called an astronaut who was actually there.
那我就打电话问当时在场的宇航员吧。
"I'm Walter Cunningham, I flew on Apollo 7, October 11th through 22nd, 1968."
“我是沃尔特·坎宁安,1968年10月11日至22日我就在阿波罗7号上。”
It was the first manned mission after a deadly cabin fire on Apollo 1, and Cunningham, Wally Schirra, and Donn Eisele had big worries.
那是阿波罗1号发生舱内致命火灾事件后的首次载人飞行,所以坎宁安,瓦尔特·施艾拉和唐·埃斯利都十分担忧。
"Meals were scheduled and we put up with them and we put up with them because we were really there to test the spacecraft and we were busy all the time.
“食物都是提前预定好的,不好吃也得吃啊,因为我们是要测试航天器的,而且我们一直都很忙。”
But I asked about astronaut ice cream anyway.
但我还是想办法问了他关于宇航员冰淇淋的问题。
"The only citation I've found is people saying it flew on Apollo 7. Is that true?"
“我找到的唯一一条引用是人们说这种冰淇淋上过阿波罗7号飞船。是真的吗?”
"No, they don't know their ass, obviously. We never had that."
“没上过,那些人显然是在胡说八道。我们根本没吃过那玩意儿。”
Cunningham says it was one of many myths that just got repeated by the press.
坎宁安说,宇航员冰淇淋不过是媒体反复重复的众多传言之一。
Like the legendary cold that all the crew members had?
比如所有宇航员都得了感冒的传言?
"Pure bullshit.
“纯属扯淡!
I never had a cold, I think Donn thought he might be getting one, he coughed a little bit, but he never really got a cold. but Wally's the one that had a cold. "
在上面我从来没有感冒过,唐觉得自己可能会感冒,他有点儿咳嗽,但并没有真的感冒,瓦尔特倒是真的感冒了。”
And the transcripts don't show ice cream either — there was a lot of chatter about other foods like the many puddings on board.
他们的对话记录上也没有提到冰淇淋 - 有很多关于其他食物的碎碎念,比如飞船上带的布丁。
2

The Apollo list was primarily rehydratable foods — like salmon salad, not ice cream.

阿波罗食品名单上主要是复水食品 - 比如三文鱼沙拉,冰淇淋则不是。
And for the most part, astronauts hated sweet foods.
而且,大多数情况下,宇航员都讨厌甜食。
They traded a lot of food on board, and sweet stuff was awful.
他们在飞船里彼此交换过很多次食物,他们很讨厌甜食。
They tried to get rid of their puddings.
所以他们努力想把布丁换出去。
Donn Eisele said: "Wally and I want to give away our butterscotch pudding, but nobody will take it."
唐·埃斯利说:“瓦尔特和我都想把奶油布丁换出去,但谁都不愿意要那个。”
But even out of the hated sweet foods, Cunningham says astronaut ice cream was not one of the options.
但即便是他们讨厌的甜食,坎宁安也说宇航员冰淇淋并没在他们的选择之列。
After it came out, and I was long gone from NASA, I remember thinking, gee, wouldn't it have been nice if we had that.
“那玩意儿出来之后,我已经离开宇航局很久了,我记得那个时候我就想,我的老天鹅,要是我们当时有那玩意儿吃,那该多好。”
And it makes sense if you know about space travel, too.
如果你对宇宙飞行有一定的了解,你就知道不带冰淇淋是有道理的。
"Plus it's super crumbly, so I just imagine all these particles floating through… "Flying into the controls..." “Yeah.”
“再说了,它非常脆,这些小颗粒肯定会到处飘啊......”“然后钻到控制器里......”“没错。”
These bite-sized objects were designed to remove the problem of having so many crumbs floating around the cabin.
“我们的吃的都做成了一口的量,为的就是避免碎屑在舱里飘得到处都是。”
Look at Neil Armstrong's fruitcake.
我们来看看尼尔·阿姆斯特朗吃的水果蛋糕。
See how it has a gelatin layer on it? That helped reduce crumbling in early missions.
看到蛋糕外面那层明胶了吗?当时这是为了减少蛋糕掉渣。
And food just got better anyway.
不管怎么说,宇航员们的伙食是越来越好了。
By Skylab's launching in 1973, they had a freezer on board.
到1973年发射太空实验室的时候,他们已经可以带冰箱上去了。
Today, astronaut ice cream is...normal ice cream.
如今,宇航员冰淇淋也就是个...普通冰淇淋。
But that didn't stop NASA, museums, and space camps from selling the imaginary "space food" to generations of kids.
但这并没有影响宇航局,博物馆和太空训练营向一代又一代的小孩儿出售想象中的“太空食品”。
There is a better way.
其实还有一个更好的办法。
Sell kids astronaut peach ambrosia, astronaut shrimp cocktail, or astronaut crawfish etouffee.
向小孩子出售宇航员仙桃,宇航员鲜虾鸡尾酒或者宇航员小龙虾盖饭,
Or sell the thing that Walt Cunningham loved so much he smuggled it in his suit in case Apollo 7 was marooned.
或者出售沃尔特·坎宁安爱不释手,甚至担心飞船失事而偷偷藏在太空服里一个东西。”
Before launch, we put a few things in our pockets in case we aborted during launch and would be out at sea some place.
发射之前,我们都在口袋里放了一些东西,以防发射过程中发生意外,然后流落在海上。
We wanted to have a little food with us in case we needed it.
我们要随身带点儿食物以备不时之需。
And I had those bacon squares down in the pocket down in the bottom of my suit.
“我就在我衣服的最底下放了培根块儿。”
Teach the children about astronaut bacon.
你不妨给孩子讲讲宇航员培根的故事。
But let the ice cream go.
至于宇航员冰淇淋嘛,还是算了吧。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
storage ['stɔridʒ]

想一想再看

n. 贮藏,存储,保管,保管费,仓库,[计]存储器

 
peach [pi:tʃ]

想一想再看

n. 桃子,桃树,桃红色
v. 揭发,检举

 
track [træk]

想一想再看

n. 小路,跑道,踪迹,轨道,乐曲
v. 跟踪

 
vanilla [və'nilə]

想一想再看

n. 香草
adj. 香草的,平淡的,乏

联想记忆
crew [kru:]

想一想再看

n. 全体船员,全体乘务员,(一组)工作人员

 
imaginary [i'mædʒinəri]

想一想再看

adj. 想象的,虚构的

联想记忆
remove [ri'mu:v]

想一想再看

v. 消除,除去,脱掉,搬迁
n. 去除

联想记忆
layer ['leiə]

想一想再看

n. 层
vi. 分层
vt. 将某

联想记忆
original [ə'ridʒənl]

想一想再看

adj. 最初的,原始的,有独创性的,原版的

联想记忆
release [ri'li:s]

想一想再看

n. 释放,让渡,发行
vt. 释放,让与,准

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。