手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

如何为我们共同的未来设计永恒的城市

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Travel with me to some of the most beautiful spots in cities around the world:

跟我一起到世界各地一些最美丽的景点旅行:
Rome's Spanish steps; the historic neighborhoods of Paris and Shanghai;
罗马的西班牙阶梯;巴黎和上海的历史性街区;
the rolling landscape of Central Park; the tight-knit blocks of Tokyo or Fez;
中央公园高低起伏的景观;东京或费兹密密麻麻的建筑;
the wildly sloping streets of the favelas of Rio de Janeiro; the dizzying step wells of Jaipur;
里约热内卢贫民窟陡峭的街道;斋浦尔令人眼花缭乱的月亮水井;
the arched pedestrian bridges of Venice.
威尼斯拱形的人行天桥。
Now let's go to some newer cities. Six downtowns built across six continents in the 20th century.
现在,让我们看一看一些比较新的城市。在20世纪六大洲所建设的六座城市。
Why do none of these places have any of the charming characteristics of our older cities?
为什么这些地方都没有我们老城区的迷人特色?
Or let's go to six suburbs built on six continents in the 20th century.
让我们再看看20世纪在六大洲所建设的六个郊区。
Why do none of them have any of the lyrical qualities that we associate with the places that we cherish the most?
为什么它们都没有任何与我们最珍惜的地方相关的抒情特质?
Now, maybe you think I'm just being nostalgic -- why does it matter?
也许你认为我只是怀旧,它为什么那么重要?
Who cares if there is this creeping sameness besetting our planet?
谁在乎这千篇一律的状态是否正困扰着我们的地球?
Well, it matters because most people around the world are gravitating to urban areas globally.
其实,这很重要,因为全球绝大多数人口都正往城市地区迁移。
And how we design those urban areas could well determine whether we thrive or not as a species.
而我们设计这些城市地区的方式能够精准地决定作为一个物种的我们能否茁壮成长。
So, we already know that people who live in transit-rich areas,
我们已经知道住在方便通勤住房区域的人,
live in apartment buildings, have a far lower carbon footprint than their suburban counterparts.
住在公寓大楼里,碳足迹远比他们相应的郊区低。
So maybe one lesson from that is if you love nature, you shouldn't live in it.
也许从中得到一个教训就是,如果你热爱大自然,你就不应该住在大自然里。
But I think the dry statistics of what's known as transit-oriented development only tells part of the story.
但我认为,那些枯燥乏味的公共运输导向型开发的统计数据只说明了故事的一部分。
Because cities, if they're going to attract people, have to be great.
因为如果城市想要吸引民众,就必须要十分优秀。
They have to be powerful magnets with distinctive appeal to bring in all those new green urbanites.
它们必须是具有独特吸引力的强力磁铁,来引进那些新的绿色城市居民。
And this is not just an aesthetic issue, mind you. This is an issue of international consequence.
请注意,这不仅仅是审美问题。这是一个全球性后果的问题。
Because today, every day, literally hundreds of thousands of people are moving into a city somewhere, mainly in the Global South.
因为如今,每天都有成千上万的人搬到某个城市,主要在全球南方。
And when you think about that, ask yourself:
当你想到这一点时,问问自己:
Are they condemned to live in the same bland cities we built in the 20th century, or can we offer them something better?
他们是否注定生活在我们建于20世纪那些看起来枯燥乏味的城市,还是可以为他们提供更好的环境?
And to answer that question, you have to unpack how we got here in the first place.
要回答这个问题,首先你必须了解我们走到这个地步的过程。
First: mass production. Just like consumer goods and chain stores,
第一:大量生产。就像消费品和连锁店一样,
we mass-produce glass and steel and concrete and asphalt and drywall,
我们大量生产玻璃、钢铁、混凝土、沥青和石膏板墙,
and we deploy them in mind-numbingly similar ways across the planet.
然后在全球各地以类似的方式展开部署。
Second: regulation. So, take cars, for instance.
第二:法规。以汽车为例。
Cars travel at very high speeds. They're susceptible to human error.
汽车以非常高的速度行驶。它们容易受到人为错误的影响。
So when we're asked, as architects, to design a new street,
因此,当身为建筑师的我们被要求设计一条新街道时,
we have to look at drawings like this, that tell us how high a curb needs to be,
我们需要看着这样的制图,告诉我们缘石的高度,
that pedestrians need to be over here and vehicles over there, a loading zone here, a drop-off there.
行人和车辆的所在位置,这里需要一个卸货区,那里需要一个上下车处。
What the car really did in the 20th century is it created this carved-up, segregated landscape.
汽车在20世纪真正做到的是,它创造了这种精雕细琢、隔离的景观。
Or take the ladder fire truck -- you know, those big ladder trucks that are used to rescue people from burning buildings?
或以云梯消防车为例--那些用来把火场中的人们援救出来的大型梯子卡车。
Those have such a wide turning radius, that we have to deploy an enormous amount of pavement, of asphalt, to accommodate them.
那些消防车的转弯半径是如此宽大,以至于我们必须安排宽大的沥青路面来容纳他们。
Or take the critically important wheelchair.
或以至关重要的轮椅为例。
A wheelchair necessitates a landscape of minimal slopes and redundant vertical circulation.
轮椅需要一个最低限度的斜坡和额外的垂直回转空间。
So wherever there's a stair, there has to be an elevator or a ramp.
因此,只要有楼梯,就必须要有电梯或坡道。
Now, don't get me wrong, please -- I am all for pedestrian safety, firefighting and certainly, wheelchair access.
请不要误解我的意思,我完全赞成行人安全、消防,当然,还有无障碍空间。
Both of my parents were in wheelchairs at the end of their lives, so I understand very much that struggle.
我的父母在生命结束之前都在轮椅上度过,所以我非常理解这当中的痛苦。
But we also have to acknowledge that all of these well-intentioned rules,
但我们也必须承认所有这些善意的规则
they had the tremendous unintended consequence of making illegal the ways in which we used to build cities.
产生了巨大且意想不到的后果,导致我们过去建造城市的方式变得不再合法。
Similarly illegal: at the end of the 19th century, right after the elevator was invented,
同样是非法的:在19世纪末,电梯被发明以后,
we built these charming urban buildings, these lovely buildings, all over the world, from Italy to India.
我们建造了这些迷人的城市建筑,这些可爱的建筑,遍布世界各地,从意大利到印度。
And they had maybe 10 or 12 apartments in them.
建筑中可能建有10或12套公寓。
They had one small elevator and a staircase that wrapped them and a light well.
它们会有个小电梯和围绕着电梯的楼梯,还有个采光天井。
And not only were they charming buildings that were cost-effective,
它们不仅是符合成本效益的迷人建筑,
they were communal -- you ran into your neighbor on that stairwell.
它们也是小区化的,你会在那楼梯间碰到你的邻居。
Well, you can't build this, either.
你也不被允许这么建造了。
By contrast, today, when we have to build a major new apartment building somewhere,
相比之下,如今,当我们要在某处建造一座主要的新公寓大楼时,
we have to build lots and lots of elevators and lots of fire stairs,
我们必须建造很多、很多电梯和很多消防梯,
and we have to connect them with these long, anonymous, dreary corridors.
而且我们必须将它们与这些漫长、无名、沉闷的走廊连接起来。
Now, developers -- when they're confronted with the cost of all of that common infrastructure,
现在,当开发商们面对那所有公设的成本时,
they have to spread that cost over more apartments, so they want to build bigger buildings.
他们不得不将这笔费用分摊到更多公寓,所以他们想建造更大型的大楼。
What that results in is the thud, the dull thud of the same apartment building being built in every city across the world.
结果是沉闷的,那在世界各个城市建造相同的公寓大楼的沉闷。

如何为我们共同的未来设计永恒的城市

And this is not only creating physical sameness,

这不仅是创造了外表的同一性,
it's creating social sameness, because these buildings are more expensive to build,
它也创造了社会的同一性,因为这些建筑的建造成本比较高,
and it helped to create an affordability crisis in cities all over the world, including places like Vancouver.
而它也在世界各地的城市助长了负担能力危机,包括了温哥华。
Now, I said there was a third reason for all this sameness, and that's really a psychological one.
现在,我说过同一性有第三个原因,这真的是心理层面的原因。
It's a fear of difference, and architects hear this all the time from their clients:
是一种对差异的恐惧,而建筑师会经常听到他们的客户问说:
"If I try that new idea, will I be sued? Will I be mocked? Better safe than sorry."
“如果我尝试这新想法,会被起诉吗?”我会被嘲笑吗?宁求稳妥,以免后悔。”
And all of these things have conspired together to blanket our planet with a homogeneity that I think is deeply problematic.
当这所有事情都凑合起来,以让我们的地球具有同构型时,我认为这是非常有问题的。
So how can we do the opposite? How can we go back to building cities that are physically and culturally varied again?
那么我们如何反向而行呢?我们怎样才能回到过去,再次建造那些外表和文化上都很多样化的城市呢?
How can we build cities of difference? I would argue that we should start by injecting into the global the local.
我们该如何建造有差异化的城市呢?我认为,我们应该先以在全球注入当地人开始。
This is already happening with food, for instance.
例如,在饮食方面已经可以看到这种情况的发生。
You just look at the way in which craft beer has taken on corporate beer.
您只需看看精酿啤酒对商业啤酒的影响。
Or, how many of you still eat Wonder Bread? I'd bet most of you don't.
或者,你们当中有多少人还在吃神奇面包?我敢打赌你们大多数人都不吃了。
And I bet you don't because you don't want processed food in your life.
我认为那是因为你不想再吃加工食品。
So if you don't want processed food, why would you want processed cities?
所以,如果你不再要加工食品,那你为什么还要“加工城市”呢?
Why would you want these mass-produced, bleached places where all of us have to live and work every day?
为什么你会想要在这些大量生产、被漂白的地方,每天生活和工作呢?
So, technology was a big part of the problem in the 20th century.
因此,科技是20世纪面对的问题的很大一部分。
When we invented the automobile, what happened is, the world all bent towards the invention.
当我们发明汽车时,全世界都开始去适应这项发明。
And we recreated our landscape around it.
我们围绕着汽车的标准重新创建了我们的景观。
In the 21st century, technology can be part of the solution -- if it bends to the needs of the world.
在21世纪,科技可以成为解决方案的一部分,如果它适应这世界的需求。
So what do I mean by that? Take the autonomous vehicle.
我想要表达什么呢?以自动驾驶汽车为例。
I don't think the autonomous vehicle is exciting because it's a driverless car.
我并不觉得自动驾驶汽车令人振奋,因为它只是一辆无人驾驶的汽车。
That, to me, only implies that there's even more congestion on the roads, frankly.
坦白说,这对我来说,只意味着路上会更拥堵。
I think what's exciting about the autonomous vehicle is the promise
我觉得令人振奋的应该是自动驾驶汽车的承诺,
and I want to stress the word "promise," given the recent accident in Arizona
我想要强调“承诺”这个词,鉴于亚利桑那州最近的交通事故,
the promise that we could have these small, urban vehicles that could safely comingle with pedestrians and bicycles.
是关于这些小型城市交通工具能够安全地与行人和自行车相处的承诺。
That would enable us to design humane streets again, streets without curbs, maybe streets like the wooden walkways on Fire Island.
这将让我们能够再次设计人性化的街道,没有缘石的街道,也许可以设计像纽约火岛上的木制人行道。
Or maybe we could design streets with the cobblestone of the 21st century,
或许我们可以用21世纪的鹅卵石来设计街道,
something that captures kinetic energy, melts snow, helps you with your fitness when you walk.
一些可以纪录动能、让雪融化,在你步行时可以帮助你锻炼身体。
Or remember those big ladder fire trucks?
还记得刚才提及的云梯消防车吗?
What if we could replace them and all the asphalt that comes with them with drones and robots that could rescue people from burning buildings?
假如我们能以无人机和机器人来取代消防车和沥青,把人从火场里救出来呢?
And if you think that's outlandish, you'd be amazed to know how much of that technology is already being used today in rescue activity.
如果你认为这是难以接受的,你会对那项科技今时今日在救援活动中的使用程度感到十分惊讶。
But now I'd like you to really imagine with me.
但我现在希望你可以跟我一起想象。
Imagine if we could design the hovercraft wheelchair. Right?
想象一下,如果我们能够设计气垫轮椅。对吧?
An invention that would not only allow equal access, but would enable us to build the Italian hill town of the 21st century.
一项不仅能促进平等权益的发明,也让我们能够建造属于21世纪的意大利山城。
I think you'd be amazed to know that just a few of these inventions, responsive to human need,
我想你会感到惊讶,当你知道其中一些满足人类需求的发明,
would completely transform the way we could build our cities.
会彻底改变我们建造城市的方式。
Now, I bet you're also thinking: "We don't have kinetic cobblestones or flying wheelchairs yet,
我敢打赌你现在也正想着:“我们还没能创造出动能鹅卵石或飞行轮椅,
so what can we do about this problem with today's technology?"
那我们可以运用现今的哪些科技来解决这问题呢?”
And my inspiration for that question comes from a very different city, the city of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
我对这个问题的灵感来自一个非常不同的城市,蒙古的乌兰巴托市。
I have clients there who have asked us to design a 21st-century open-air village
在那里,我有客户要求我们设计一个可以持续发热的21世纪露天村庄,
that's sustainably heated using today's technology, in the heart of their downtown.
运用现今的技术,座落于他们的市中心。
And that's to cope with their frigid winters.
那是为了应付他们严酷的寒冬。
And the project is both poetry and prose.
所以,这项目既是诗歌又是散文。
The poetry is really about evoking the local:
诗歌在于唤醒当地人:
the mountainous terrain, using colors to pick up the spectacular light,
多山的地形,使用颜色来突出那耀眼的光线,
understanding how to interpret the nomadic traditions that animate the nation of Mongolia.
了解如何诠释让蒙古如此有活力的游牧传统。
The prose has been the development of a catalogue of buildings, of small buildings that are fairly affordable,
散文则是一系列的建筑发展,那些相当实惠的小型建筑,
using local construction materials and technology that can still provide new forms of housing,
使用当地的建筑材料和技术,但仍然可以建设新的住房形式、
new workspace, new shops and cultural buildings, like a theater or a museum -- even a haunted house.
新的工作空间、新的店面和文化建筑,如剧院或博物馆,甚至是鬼屋。
While working on this in our office, we've realized that we're building upon the work of our colleagues,
在办公室设计它时,我们意识到自己正以同事的作品为基础,
including architect Tatiana Bilbao, working in Mexico City; Pritzker laureate Alejandro Aravena, working in Chile;
包括在墨西哥城工作的建筑师塔蒂亚娜·毕尔巴鄂;在智利工作的普立兹克建筑奖得主亚历杭德罗·阿拉韦纳,
and recent Pritzker winner Balkrishna Doshi, working in India.
还有最近荣获普立兹克奖,在印度工作的巴尔克里希纳·多希。
And all of them are building spectacular new forms of affordable housing, but they're also building cities of difference,
他们都在以与众不同的新形式建造经济实惠的房子,但他们也在建造有差异化的城市,
because they're building cities that respond to local communities, local climates and local construction methods.
因为他们建造的是符合当地小区、当地气候和当地建筑技术的城市。
We're doubling down on that idea, we're researching a new model for our growing cities with gentrification pressures,
我们正对这想法付出双倍努力,我们正在研究一种新模式,来克服面对上流化压力
that could build upon that late-19th-century model with that center core,
且不断增长的城市,建立在具有19世纪后期核心的建筑模型上,
but a prototype that could shape-shift in response to local needs and local building materials.
但原形可以根据当地需求和当地建筑材料进行改变外形。
All of these ideas, to me, are nostalgia-free.
对我来说,这所有想法都与怀旧无关。
They all tell me that we can build cities that can grow,
他们全都告诉我,我们可以建造可成长的城市,
but grow in a way that reflects the diverse residents that live in those cities;
但要以反映居住在这些城市中的多元化居民的方式成长;
grow in a way that can accommodate all income groups, all colors, creeds, genders.
以适应所有收入群体的方式成长,所有肤色、教派、性别。
We could build such spectacular cities that we could disincentivize sprawl and actually protect nature.
我们可以建造十分壮观的城市,让我们可以抑制城市杂乱无序地扩展,并保护大自然。
We can grow cities that are high-tech, but also respond to the timeless cultural needs of the human spirit.
我们可以发展高科技的城市,同时也符合了人类精神中永垂不朽的文化需求。
I'm convinced that we can build cities of difference that help to create the global mosaic to which so many of us aspire. Thank you.
我相信我们可以建造有差异化的城市,来帮助我们创造许多人所渴望的全球马赛克。谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
susceptible [sə'septəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 易受外界影响的,易受感染的

联想记忆
distinctive [di'stiŋktiv]

想一想再看

adj. 独特的

联想记忆
rescue ['reskju:]

想一想再看

vt. 营救,援救
n. 营救,救援

联想记忆
mountainous ['mauntinəs]

想一想再看

adj. 多山的,如山一般的

联想记忆
curb [kə:b]

想一想再看

n. 抑制,勒马绳,边石,路缘
vt. 抑制,

联想记忆
responsive [ri'spɔnsiv]

想一想再看

adj. 回答的,应答的,易感应的

联想记忆
architect ['ɑ:kitekt]

想一想再看

n. 建筑师

联想记忆
homogeneity [.hɔməudʒe'ni:iti]

想一想再看

n. 同种,同质,同次性

 
staircase ['stɛəkeis]

想一想再看

n. 楼梯

 
blanket ['blæŋkit]

想一想再看

n. 毛毯,覆盖物,排字版
vt. 用毯子裹,

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。