手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

如何剥夺象征系统性种族主义的权力

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

I collect objects. I collect branding irons that were used to mark slaves as property.

我收藏一些物品。有奴隶烙铁,作为财产的标志,它打在奴隶身上。
I collect shackles for adults and restraints for adults as well as children.
我收集给当时成年人戴的手铐及脚镣,还有是给孩子戴的。
I collect lynching postcards. Yes, they depict lynchings.
我也收集黑人奴隶受私刑绞死的明信片。它们描绘了当时的私刑。
They also depict the massive crowds that attended these lynchings, and they are postcards that were also used for correspondence.
同时也描绘了无数围观死刑的人们,这些是明信片,是被用作通信用的。
I collect proslavery books that portray black people as criminals or as animals without souls.
我收集的那些支持奴隶制度的书,把黑人描绘成罪犯或者是没有灵魂的动物。
I brought you something today. This is a ship's branding iron. It was used to mark slaves.
我今天带了一些给你们看。这是一个船上的烙铁。曾被用来为奴隶标记。
Well, they actually were not slaves when they were marked. They were in Africa.
他们被标记的时候,还不是奴隶。仍然生活在非洲。
But they were marked with an "S" to designate that they were going to be slaves
但是他们一旦被标记了S,就认定为奴隶,
when they were brought to the US and when they were brought to Europe.
他们会被带到美国及欧洲。
Another object or image that captured my imagination when I was younger was a Klan robe.
年轻时引发了我遐想的另一个物品或是图像,是三K党的长袍。
Growing up in South Carolina, I would see Ku Klux Klan rallies occasionally,
我在南卡罗莱纳州长大,偶然会见到三K党的集会,
actually more than occasionally, and the memories of those events never really left my mind.
事实上并不仅是偶然,那些事情烙印在我的记忆里。
And I didn't really do anything with that imagery until 25 years later.
直到25年后,我才重新注视三K党的图像。
A few years ago, I started researching the Klan, the three distinct waves of the Klan, the second one in particular.
几年前,我开始研究三K党,三次不寻常的三K党运动浪潮,尤以第二次为甚。
The second wave of the Klan had more than five million active members,
第二次的三K党兴起,使它拥有超过五百万名活跃成员,
which was five percent of the population at the time, which was also the population of New York City at the time.
是当时美国人口的百分之五,也等于纽约市的总人口。
The Klan robe factory in the Buckhead neighborhood of Georgia was so busy it became a 24-hour factory to keep up with orders.
位于乔治亚州巴克海特区的三K党长袍工厂十分忙碌,工厂要24小时运作来满足订单。
They kept 20,000 robes on hand at all time to keep up with the demand.
它们随时库存2万件长袍以应付大量的需求。
As a collector of artifacts and as an artist, I really wanted a Klan robe to be part of my collection,
作为一个手工制品的收集者和艺术家,我很想收藏一件三K党的长袍,
because artifacts and objects tell stories, but I really couldn't find one that was really good quality.
因为它们会讲故事,但我找不到一件品质好的长袍。
What is a black man to do in America when he can't find the quality Klan robe that he's looking for?
身为一个美国黑人,不能找到一件好质量的三K党长袍,该怎么办?
So I had no other choice. I decided I was going to make the best quality Klan robes in America.
我没有其他选择。我决定自己做美国最高质量的三K党长袍。
These are not your traditional Klan robes you would see at any KKK rally.
这些不是在党集会中见得到的传统三K党长袍。
I used kente cloth, I used camouflage, spandex, burlap, silks, satins and different patterns.
我使用肯特布、斯潘德克斯弹性纤维、粗麻布、丝绸、缎子以及不同的质料。

如何剥夺象征系统性种族主义的权力

I make them for different age groups; I make them for young kids as well as toddlers. I even made one for an infant.

我做给不同年龄的人,包括年幼的孩子及学步的幼儿,甚至做给一个婴儿。
After making so many robes, I realized that the policies the Klan had in place or wanted to have in place a hundred years ago are in place today.
在做了那么多长袍之后,我意识到三K党的政策已达到的效果,是一百年前想要达到的,在今天发生了。
We have segregated schools, neighborhoods, workplaces,
我们有着种族隔离的学校、小区和公共场所,
and it's not the people wearing hoods that are keeping these policies in place.
然而并非三K党人促成这些政策。
My work is about the long-term impact of slavery.
我的工作是关注奴隶制度的长期影响。
We're not just dealing with the residue of systemic racism. It's the basis of every single thing we do.
我们不仅要解决种族主义系统的残渣,而是解决处理每件事的基础。
Again we have intentionally segregated neighborhoods, workplaces and schools.
再者,我们存有故意促成的种族隔离小区、公共场所和学校。
We have voter suppression. We have disproportionate representation of minorities incarcerated.
有非裔的投票者被压制;被监禁的非裔人数远高于其他少数族裔的人口比例。
We have environmental racism. We have police brutality.
我们面临种族主义当道的环境,遭到警察的残暴对待。
I brought you a few things today. The stealth aspect of racism is part of its power.
我今天给你们带来了一些。种族主义的“隠秘”是它力量的一部分。
When you're discriminated against, you can't always prove you're being discriminated against.
当你被歧视的时候,你不能证明正在被歧视。
Racism has the power to hide, and when it hides, it's kept safe because it blends in.
种族主义拥有的隐蔽力量,它可以安全的地藏起来,因为它融入其中。
I created this robe to illustrate that.
我制作了这一长袍来进行阐明。
The basis of capitalism in America is slavery. Slaves were the capital in capitalism.
美国资本主义的基础就是奴隶制度。奴隶是资本主义的资本。
The first Grand Wizard in 1868, Nathan Bedford Forrest, was a Confederate soldier and a millionaire slave trader.
1868年,三K党第一大巫师,内森·贝弗·福雷斯,是一个美利坚联邦士兵,也是一个经营奴隶贸易的百万富翁。
The wealth that was created from chattel slavery -- that's slaves as property -- would boggle the mind.
他的财富是从奴隶贸易创造出来的--视奴隶为财产的观念--是我心中挥之不去的阴影。
Cotton sales alone in 1860 equalled 200 million dollars.
1860年,仅棉花贸易一项就已产生了大约两亿美元的价值。
That would equal five billion dollars today.
相等于现在的五十亿美元。
A lot of that wealth can be seen today through generational wealth.
很多今天的财富都是代代相传下来的。
Oh, I forgot the other crops as well. You have indigo, rice and tobacco.
我忘了其他的经济作物。还有槐蓝(用作染料)、大米以及烟草。
In 2015, I made one robe a week for the entire year. After making 75 robes, I had an epiphany.
在2015年,我每周制作一件长袍。到制造了75件长袍时,我已经顿悟。
I have a realization that white supremacy is there,
白人至上的主义就在这里,
but the biggest force of white supremacy is not the KKK, it's the normalization of systemic racism.
但最大的力量并不是三K党,而是系统性的种族主义正常化。
There was something else I realized. The robes had no more power over me at all.
还有一件事,长袍对我完全没有威慑作用了。
But if we as a people collectively look at these objects -- branding irons, shackles, robes
但如果我们作为一个集体,看着这些东西--烙铁、手铐和长袍,
and realize that they are part of our history, we can find a way to where they have no more power over us.
能够意识到这是我们历史的一部分,我们就可以找到一种方法,使它们不再能威慑我们了。
If we look at systemic racism and acknowledge that it's sown into the very fabric of who we are as a country,
如果我们能够面对及确认系统性的种族主义,并且承认它已经植入我们国家的根基,
then we can actually do something about the intentional segregation in our schools, neighborhoods and workplaces.
那么我们就能采取实际的行动来,在种族隔离的学校、小区和工作场所,应付有种族隔离意图的事情。
But then and only then can we actually address and confront this legacy of slavery and dismantle this ugly legacy of slavery.
只有在我们能够说出和面对这奴隶制的遗毒时,才能消除丑陋奴隶制度的遗痕。
Thank you very much.
非常感谢各位。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
fabric ['fæbrik]

想一想再看

n. 织物,结构,构造
vt. 构筑

 
distinct [dis'tiŋkt]

想一想再看

adj. 独特的,不同的,明显的,清楚的

联想记忆
acknowledge [ək'nɔlidʒ]

想一想再看

vt. 承认,公认,告知收到,表示感谢,注意到

联想记忆
intentionally [in'tenʃənli]

想一想再看

adv. 有意地,故意地

 
camouflage ['kæmuflɑ:ʒ]

想一想再看

n. 伪装,掩饰,迷彩服 v. 伪装,欺瞒

联想记忆
legacy ['legəsi]

想一想再看

n. 祖先传下来之物,遗赠物
adj. [计算

联想记忆
dealing ['di:liŋ]

想一想再看

n. 经营方法,行为态度
(复数)dealin

 
massive ['mæsiv]

想一想再看

adj. 巨大的,大规模的,大量的,大范围的

 
residue ['rezi.dju:]

想一想再看

n. 残渣,剩余,余数

联想记忆
collector [kə'lektə]

想一想再看

n. 收集家,收税员

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。