手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

如何使低收入家庭负担得起能源的费用

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

So, as a child, I used to spend all of my time at my great-grandmother's house.

幼时的我基本上住在曾祖母的家里。
On hot, humid, summer days, I would dash across the floor and stick my face in front of her only air conditioner.
在炎热潮湿的夏日,我会在家中奔跑,并把脸贴在唯一的空调上。
But I didn't realize that that simple experience, though brief, was a privileged one in our community.
但我没有意识到这单纯的体验虽然短暂,却是我们社区独有的特权。
Growing up, stories of next-door neighbors having to set up fake energy accounts or having to steal energy seemed normal to me.
在我成长期间,听闻邻居捏造假能源账户或偷取能源,看似正常不过。
During the winter, struggling to get warm, my neighbors would have no choice but to bypass the meter after their heat was shut off,
在冬天里为了取暖,我的邻居别无选择,不得不在暖气被关闭后,尝试躲过仪表纪录偷电,
just to keep their family comfortable for one more day.
只是为了让他们的家人多舒服一天。
These kinds of dangerous incidents can take root when people are faced with impossible choices.
这些危险的举动往往发生在人们别无选择的时候。
In the US, the average American spends three percent of their income on energy.
在美国,人们平均要花上3%的收入来缴能源费。
In contrast, low-income and rural populations can spend 20, even 30 percent of their income on energy.
相比之下,低收入农村人口可能要花20%,甚至30%的收入来缴能源费。
In 2015, this caused over 25 million people to skip meals to provide power to their homes.
在2015年,超过2500万人为了支付电费而减少用餐。
This is when energy becomes a burden. But energy burdens are so much more than just a number.
这就是能量成为负担的时候。但能源负担并不只是数字。
They present impossible and perilous choices:
它们呈现出许多不可能的、致命的抉择。
Do you take your child to get her flu medicine, or do you feed her? Or do you keep her warm?
是要给孩子流感药,还是要喂饱她?或者是让她保持温暖?
It's an impossible choice, and nearly every month, seven million people choose between medicine and energy.
这是一个困难的选择。但几乎每个月都有700万人要面对从药品和能源中二选其一这样的难题。
This exposes a much larger and systemic issue.
这显现了一个更大的系统性问题。
Families with high energy burdens are disproportionately people of color,
能源账单负担较重的家庭有很高的比例是有色人种,
who spend more per square foot than their white counterparts.
每平方英尺他们比白人花费得更多。
But it's also nurses, veterans and even schoolteachers
不仅这样,护士、退伍军人,甚至教师,
who fall into the mass of 37 million people a year who are unable to afford energy for their most basic needs.
也落入无法负担基本能源需求的3700万人中,
As a result, those with high energy burdens have a greater likelihood of conditions like heart disease and asthma.
结果,那些负担沉重的人有更大的机率罹患心脏病和气喘。
Look -- given our rockets to Mars and our pocket-sized AI, we have the tools to address these systemic inequities.
看哪--我们能把火箭送上火星,制造口袋大小的人工智能,我们其实能解决这不公平的现象。
The technology is here. Cost of renewables, insulation, microgrids and smart home technology are all decreasing.
我们拥有科技。可再生能源、绝缘体、微电网和智能家居的造价都在下降。

如何使低收入家庭负担得起能源的费用

However, even as we approach cost parity, the majority of those who own solar earn much more than the average American.

然而,即使能源接近成本价,大多数拥有太阳能的人远比普通的美国人富裕。
This is why, when I was 22, I founded the nonprofit RETI.
这就是为什么我在22岁的时候创立了非营利组织RETI。
Our mission is to alleviate energy burdens by working with communities, utilities and government agencies alike
我们的使命是通过与社区、公用事业和政府机构合作,减轻能源负担,
to provide equitable access to clean energy, energy efficiency and energy technology.
提供清洁能源、能源效率和能源技术。
But there's no one way to solve this.
但是并没有标准的解决方案。
I believe in the power of local communities, in the transforming effect of relationships.
我相信当地社区的力量,相信关系的转变效应。
So we start by working directly with the communities that have the highest energy burdens.
于是,我们直接与能源负担最高的社区展开合作。
We host workshops and events for communities to learn about energy poverty, and how making even small updates to their homes
我们和社区举办研讨会去探讨能源的缺乏,以及如何小规模地更新他们设备,
like better insulation for windows and water heaters can go a long way to maximize efficiency.
像是更好的隔热窗户和热水器,可以大大提高效率。
We're connecting neighborhoods to community solar and spearheading community-led smart home research and installation programs
我们正在连接社区以便发展社区太阳能,并带领以社区为主导的智能家居研究和安装计划,
to help families bring down their energy bills.
以帮助家庭降低能源账单。
We're even working directly with elected officials, advocating for more equitable pricing,
我们甚至直接与议员合作,倡导更公平的能源定价,
because to see this vision of energy equity and resilience succeed, we have to work together sustainably.
因为要使能源的平等及可持续发展取得成功,我们必须朝可持续的方向共同努力。
Now, the US spends over three billion a year on energy bill payment assistance.
美国每年花了超过30亿来补助能源账单。
And these programs do help millions of people, but they're only able to help a fraction of those in need.
这些计划确实对数百万人有所帮助,但他们只能帮助一小部分有需要的人。
In fact, there is a 47-billion-dollar home-energy affordability gap, so assistance alone is not sustainable.
事实上,家庭负担能源的能力有将近470亿美元的落差,因此单靠补助是无法可持续的。
But by building energy equity and resilience into our communities,
但通过在我们的社区实行能源平等及提供可持续性能源,
we can assure fair and impartial access to energy that is clean, reliable and affordable.
我们可以公平和公正地获得干净、可靠且实惠的能源。
At scale, microgrid technology, clean technology and energy efficiency dramatically improve public health.
从规模上来看,微电网技术、清洁技术和能源效率显著地改善了公共健康。
And for those with high energy burdens, it can help them reclaim 20 percent of their income
对于那些能源负担高的人来说,它可以帮助他们省下收入的20%,
20 percent of a person's income who's struggling to make ends meet.
一位拼命在维持生计的人能够节省收入的20%。
This is life-changing. This is an opportunity for families to use their energy savings to sponsor their future.
这是改变生活的。这是家庭利用节能来赞助未来的机会。
I think back to my great-grandmother and her neighbors,
我想起了我的曾祖母和她的邻居,
the impossible choices that they had to make and the effect it had on our whole community.
那些他们面对的困难选择以及对整个社区的影响。
But this is not just about them. There are millions nationwide having to make the same impossible choices today.
但这不仅仅与他们有关。全国有数百万人和他们一样有着艰难的选择。
And I know high energy burdens are a tremendous barrier to overcome,
我知道高能源负担是一个要去克服的巨大障碍,
but through relationships with communities and technology, we have the paths to overcome them.
但通过社区合作和技术,我们有了克服它们的途径。
And when we do, we will all be more resilient. Thank you.
当我们这样做时,我们的生活将会变得更具弹性。谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
payment ['peimənt]

想一想再看

n. 支付,付款,报偿,报应

 
efficiency [i'fiʃənsi]

想一想再看

n. 效率,功率

联想记忆
assure [ə'ʃuə]

想一想再看

vt. 使确信,使放心,确保

联想记忆
impossible [im'pɔsəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 不可能的,做不到的
adj.

联想记忆
likelihood ['laiklihud]

想一想再看

n. 可能性

联想记忆
maximize ['mæksimaiz]

想一想再看

v. 取 ... 最大值,最佳化,对 ... 极为重视

 
address [ə'dres]

想一想再看

n. 住址,致词,讲话,谈吐,(处理问题的)技巧

 
mass [mæs]

想一想再看

n. 块,大量,众多
adj. 群众的,大规模

 
contrast ['kɔntræst,kən'træst]

想一想再看

n. 差别,对比,对照物
v. 对比,成对照<

 
opportunity [.ɔpə'tju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 机会,时机

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。