"She's right," he said. "I'm being a terrible uncle, dragging you into another case."
“她说得对,”杰夫叔叔说。“我是个糟糕的叔叔,让你卷进案子。”
"You didn't drag me," I said. "You couldn't keep me out of it if you wanted to.
我说:“不是你让我卷进去的,你也没法替我做决定,
I'm 19. I'm an adult. I can vote. I can make my own decisions."I said.
我19岁,已经成年了,我可以自己决定。”
I was getting angry. I wasn't Aunt April's "baby" and I was tired of being treated like a child.
我生气了。我不是爱普莉姨妈的“孩子”,我厌倦了被当作孩子一样对待。
"Still, if it weren't for me, you wouldn't have seen a dead body and almost been killed in one weekend," he said.
“不过,如果不是我,你就不会看到一具尸体,周末还差点被杀,”杰夫叔叔说。
He was getting ready to say more, but he must have seen the look on my face.
他正准备再说些什么,但他一定看到了我脸上的表情。
"Okay, okay," he said. "We won't argue about it. We'll both try to be more careful.
杰夫叔叔说:“好吧,好吧,我们不要争论了,我们两个人都要尽量小心,
We won't do anybody any good if we can't stay alive to try to solve this case."
如果我们不能活着破了这个案子,我们对任何人都没有好处。”
We said goodnight and we went to bed. I wasn't angry with Uncle Jeff.
我们道了一声晚安就上床睡觉了,我没有生杰夫叔叔的气。
In fact, he was right about everything he said.
事实上,他说的每件事都是对的。
But I wasn't going to be taken off the case—not now.
但我现在不打算脱离这个案子。
The next morning, I returned Ben's call. He was depressed.
第二天早上,我给本回了电话,他很沮丧。