手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 畅游海底世界 > 正文

南极洲潜水之旅(下)

来源:可可英语 编辑:kelly   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

My first glimpse of the underwater terrain reveals mostly just some seaweed on the bottom, flowing gently in the current.

我第一眼看到水下地形,只看到一些海草在水中缓缓流动。
But a closer look reveals a community of bottom-dwelling invertebrates, including vast armies of limpets, snail-like animals with cone-shaped shells.
但仔细一看,就会发现海底的一群无脊椎动物,其中包括大量长的像蜗牛一样的帽贝,帽贝的壳呈锥形。
They eat the algae on the rocks.
他们以岩石上的海藻为食。
A bright red sea star hunts down limpets for lunch.
一颗亮丽的红色海星正在搜寻帽贝作为午餐。
Nearby, Anemones wait for prey, their stinging tentacles armed and ready for an unwary fish.
附近,海葵在等待猎物,它们的刺状触须全副武装,等待着粗心大意的鱼儿。
A sea cucumber uses feathery, branching arms to grab plankton out of the water to eat.
海参用柔软、分支的手臂在水中抓取浮游生物食用。
But then, I look up from the bottom and something catches my eye.
然后,我从水底朝上看去,有东西吸引了我的眼球。
It's a Gentoo penguin, swimming around with the grace of a dolphin and the speed of a torpedo!
这是一只巴布亚企鹅,以鱼雷的速度四处游动,动作像海豚一样优雅!
These birds might not be able to fly, but underwater they sure can swim.
这些企鹅可能不会飞,但肯定会游泳。
Their wings are adapted for providing underwater propulsion, and few animals in the ocean can swim with such grace and speed as a penguin.
它们的翅膀在水下用来提供推进力,海洋中很少有动物能像企鹅那样快速而又优雅地游泳。
In the limited visibility, they are hard to film because I never know from which direction they will swim.
能见度有限,这些企鹅很难拍摄,因为我不知道它们的游动方向。
Just above the water on the beach, thousands of Gentoos are warming up in the sun.
在海滩上,成千上万只巴布亚企鹅沐浴阳光。
A Gentoo Penguin is easy to identify because of its bright red beak.
巴布亚企鹅很容易辨认,因为它的喙是鲜红色的。
Many of these Gentoos are barely more than chicks, waiting patiently for their downy baby feathers to fall off.
许多巴布亚企鹅不过是雏鸟,耐心地等待着羽毛脱落。
These poofy feathers keep them warm when they are little, but they're not good for swimming.
企鹅小的时候,这些绒毛可以帮助他们取暖,但是不适合游泳。
I watch a group of young penguins practicing their swimming technique in a small tide-pool.
我看到一群小企鹅在小水池里练习游泳技巧。
The tide pool offers protection from the open ocean, and it's a nice shallow spot to try swimming and hunting.
水池可以保护企鹅远离开阔的海洋,是游泳和打猎的好去处。
Unfortunately, there is nothing here to eat, so foraging for food doesn't produce a meal.
不幸的是,这里没有食物,不能喂饱肚子。
As the birds get older and their adult feathers grow in, they start gathering down by the ocean.
大一些的时候,企鹅的羽毛不断生长,开始聚集在海边。
Soon, they take short hops into the freezing water to hunt in the shallows for krill and small invertebrates.
不久,它们就会一头跳进冰水中,在浅滩上捕食磷虾和小型无脊椎动物。
It doesn't take long before they learn to swim like experts and take off to hunt together in groups.
不久,它们就学会了游泳,成群结队地捕食。
Penguins on the move porpoise in and out of the water like dolphins—but then they can hop right back up on land like no dolphin I've ever seen!
企鹅在水中进进出出,像海豚一样——但之后它们直接跳到陆地上,从未见过这样的海豚!
Who needs to fly when you can swim like this?
能像这样游泳,还需要飞翔吗?
Soon we head back to the ship and and pull anchor to move a few hours south.
不久,我们回到船上,拉锚向南行驶了几个小时。
We're making our way towards the polar circle, and passing some incredible scenery on the way!
我们正在向南极圈进发,途中还看到了一些不可置信的景象。
The next day, back in the Zodiacs, we head towards a shipwreck.
第二天,我们回到船上,向一艘沉船驶去。
The Governor was a whaling ship that caught fire in 1916, so the captain ran it aground to save the crew.
这艘捕鲸船在1916年着火,船长为了救船员将船搁浅了。
I drop into the water to explore the southernmost shipwreck of my life.
我跳进水里去探索最南端的沉船。
Although the bow is out of the water, the stern lies over 70 feet below.
虽然船头露出水面,但是船尾在水下却有70多英尺。
It's a long swim down the side of the hull to get to the stern.
从船身的侧面游到船尾需要很长时间。
The hull is covered in patches of beautiful yellow finger sponges.
船壳上覆盖着一片片美丽的黄指海绵动物。
I didn't realize that sponges like this could be found in such cold water.
我没想到在这么冷的水里可以找到这样的海绵动物。
Looking closer at the sponges, I discover an Antarctic blenny resting there.
仔细观察,我发现一只南极鲇鱼在那里休息。
Fish survive in this water because they have antifreeze in their blood that keeps it from freezing, even when the water is below 32 degrees.
鱼能在这样的水中存活是因为它们的血液中有防冻液,即使水温低于32度,血液也不会结冰。
Suddenly, a huge shape catches my eye!
突然,一个巨大的身形映入我的眼帘!
It's the biggest jelly I have ever seen in my life, swimming through the water with tentacles hanging down more than 50 feet!
这是我这辈子见过的最大的水母,它的触须有50多英尺长,在水里游来游去!
I swim over to investigate this massive animal, and the bell of the jelly is more than two feet across!
我游过去看这只巨大的水母,有两英尺多宽!

海底世界

As I rise toward the surface at the end of my dive, I encounter a huge wall of ice.

当我潜水结束后浮出水面时,我遇到了一堵巨大的冰墙。
It's an iceberg, that drifted into the bay.
是座冰山,漂进了海湾。
The wall of the iceberg is covered in dimples, like the ones on a golf ball.
冰山的墙壁上布满了凹痕,就像高尔夫球上的凹痕一样。
This pattern forms as the iceberg melts.
冰山融化时,就形成了这样的凹痕。
Thousands of tiny bubbles are released from the melting ice as well, making the water near the iceberg look like a fizzy drink!
冰山融化时释放出数以千计的小气泡,使得冰山附近的水看起来像汽水一样!
The iceberg only rises a few feet above the surface, but its more than thirty feet deep.
冰山只高出水面几英尺,但它有三十多英尺深。
When you see an iceberg floating by, there's not that much above water sometimes, but that's because 90% of an iceberg is underwater.
当你看到水面漂浮着冰山,有时水面上没有那么高,那是因为90%的冰山都在水下。
If I flip it over, you can see just how much ice there is.
如果把它翻过来,你可以看到有多少冰。
That's why icebergs are really dangerous to ships, because you can't see the part that's hidden underwater.
这就是冰山对船只来说非常危险的原因,因为你看不到隐藏在水下的部分。
Fun with ice!
很好玩!
Getting the gear out of the water and into the zodiac can be quite a challenge because of all the weight I have to carry.
把装备从水里拿出来放到船上是一个相当大的挑战,因为我要背负所有的重量。
Heading back to the ship, we have a little time to unwind while we again change locations, heading even further south.
回到船上,我们有一点时间放松,同时我们再次改变航线,继续向南航行。
We pass through the Lemaire Channel, filled with floating chunks of ice.
我们穿过勒梅尔海峡,这里满是漂浮的冰块。
I can hear them bouncing off the bow, and I'm glad that this ship has an ice-strengthened hull!
我能听到冰块撞击船首的声音,我很高兴这艘船的船体是冰加固的!
The next morning we are at it again, launching the Zodiacs over the side and preparing for another adventure.
第二天早上,我们又开始潜水,把船停在一边,准备另一次冒险。
I carry my camera down to the boat and we're off.
我拿着相机下了船,出发了。
Today we're hunting quietly for a very special animal.
今天,我们在悄悄地寻找一种非常特别的动物。
And sure enough, we found them.
果然,我们找到了。
Leopard seals sleeping on an iceberg.
海豹在冰山上睡着。
These animals which reach 12 feet long, are the apex predators of the Antarctic.
这些长达12英尺的动物是南极的顶级掠食者。
There are no sharks in the waters of Antarctica, but these seals fill that niche in the food chain.
南极洲没有鲨鱼,是这些海豹填补了食物链的缝隙。
Soon, the Leopard seals wake from their nap and come over to investigate us.
很快,海豹从午睡中醒来,过来探查我们。
They have been known to bite and deflate Zodiacs when they are being territorial.
众所周知,当海豹有领地意识的时候,会咬人,撞击船。
We watch carefully for a few minutes before we drop into the water with this animal.
我们仔细观察了几分钟,然后下水和海豹一起。
Leopard seals are big, aggressive and have sharp teeth.
海豹体型巨大,攻击性强,牙齿锋利。
But this one doesn't look aggressive at all.
但这只海豹看起来一点也没有攻击性。
I must admit, I'm a little apprehensive as I prepare to roll into the water, but I'm also excited.
我必须承认,我有点担心,因为我准备入水,但我也很兴奋。
I have wanted to film a Leopard seal for a long time!
我早就想拍海豹了!
The seal makes a few passes to check me out, but he seems a lot more curious than aggressive.
海豹经过几次探查我,但似乎出于好奇罢了,而非进攻。
I don't follow the seal at all, but hold my ground and keep the camera rolling.
我根本没有去追海豹,而是坚守阵地,让摄像机不停地运转。
I let him come to me.
我要让海豹到我身边来。
Divers are not very common down here.
潜水者在这里并不常见。
This Leopard seal has probably never seen a diver, or a video camera before.
这只海豹可能从来没有见过潜水者,也没有见过摄像机。
Either he sees his reflection in the lens, or he's looking for a career in show business.
它要么从镜头中看到了自己,要么在寻找自己的演绎事业。
Either way, this animal sure doesn't seem to mind my presence.
不管怎样,海豹似乎并不介意我的存在。
The leopard seal is so curious, that he stays around for more than an hour.
它非常好奇,在附近呆了一个多小时。
I even have enough time to get my still camera and take a few pictures.
我甚至有足够的时间去拿我的相机拍几张照片。
Look how big he is compared to me—it's a good thing he's in good mood.
看看他和我比起来有多大——它心情很好,这是件好事。
Although Leopard seals can hold their breath for an hour while diving, this one lounging with me near the surface regularly pops his nose above water for a breath.
虽然海豹在潜水时可以屏住呼吸一个小时,但这只海豹和我一起在水面游泳时经常把鼻子探出水面呼吸。
That was such a great dive with that leopard seal!
和海豹一起潜水真是太棒了!
Man it was so friendly.
天哪,它太友好了。
It stayed with me for over an hour, but I've been in this water for so long my face is frozen.
它在我这停留了一个多小时,但是我在水里呆太久,我的脸都冻僵了。
With the circulation returning to my face, we head back to the ship,
我们回到船上,血液循环到我的脸上,
while I think of all the great things I saw in Antarctica, from the towering walls of a tremendous iceberg….to a gigantic jelly.
我想起在南极洲经历的所有事情,从高耸的巨大冰墙到巨大的水母。
I saw incredible underwater acrobatics.
我看到了令人难以置信的水下杂技。
And astonishingly beautiful scenery.
还有令人惊叹的美丽风景。
Penguins nesting among the ancient bones of whales.
企鹅在古老的鲸鱼骨中筑巢。
And Humpbacks feeding in some of the most beautiful bays I have ever seen.
座头鲸在我见过的最美丽的海湾里觅食。
From the surprising color of the invertebrates living in the freezing water, to the stark beauty of the frozen landscape, Antarctica is spectacular to behold.
从生活在冰冷海水中无脊椎动物到冰天雪地的绝美景色,南极洲令人叹为观止。
Soon, we must turn north for our long journey back to Ushuaia.
不久,我们必须向北返回到乌斯怀亚。
As the sun sets on the passing ice, I have plenty of time to reminisce about my adventures.
当太阳落在冰面上时,我有足够的时间回忆我的冒险之旅。
As we leave the protection of the Antarctica Peninsula, we discover the Drake passage is not as kind as it was on the way down!
当我们离开南极半岛时,我们发现德雷克海峡海面不那么平静了。
But for that incredible hour I spent with a curious Leopard seal, it's worth it.
但我和一只好奇的海豹度过了不可思议的一小时,这是值得的。
Antarctica might be cold, and the diving is hard work, but I'll never forget this magical place way down at the bottom of the blue world.
南极洲很冷,潜水很艰难,但我永远不会忘记这个神奇的地方——蓝色世界的南端。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
community [kə'mju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落

联想记忆
reminisce [.remi'nis]

想一想再看

vi. 追忆,缅怀

联想记忆
investigate [in'vestigeit]

想一想再看

v. 调查,研究
[计算机] 研究

联想记忆
flowing ['fləuiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 流动的;平滑的;上涨的 v. 流动;起源;上涨

 
diver ['daivə]

想一想再看

n. 跳水者,潜水员

 
presence ['prezns]

想一想再看

n. 出席,到场,存在
n. 仪态,风度

 
circle ['sə:kl]

想一想再看

n. 圈子,圆周,循环
v. 环绕,盘旋,包围

 
peninsula [pi'ninsjulə]

想一想再看

n. 半岛

联想记忆
visibility [.vizi'biliti]

想一想再看

n. 能见度

 
terrain ['terein]

想一想再看

n. 地带,地域,地形

联想记忆

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 黄貂鱼城(下) 2018-12-19
  • 南极洲潜水之旅(上) 2018-12-24
  • 巴哈马群岛洞穴潜水(上) 2019-01-02
  • 巴哈马群岛洞穴潜水(下) 2019-01-04
  • 石斑鱼(上) 2019-01-07
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。