手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 科学探秘之旅 > 正文

为什么有些男性不长胡须?

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Hi I'm Jules And I'm Julian

大家好,我是朱尔斯,我是朱利安
And I've been growing my beard for 8 hours (months).
我留胡子已经有8个小时(月)了。
What?! Minutes!
什么? !是8分钟啦!
Hi there follicly challenged friends, Jules here for Dnews.
卤蛋朋友们,你们好,欢迎收看Dnews视频,我是Jules。
Its 2016, and beards have become ubiquitous.
这才2016年,留胡须的人就已经无处不在了。
Forcing hundreds of hairs out of the bottom of your face has almost become a prerequisite in cities like Brooklyn, Portland, or San Francisco.
在布鲁克林、波特兰或旧金山这样的时尚都市,留胡须都快成规定了。
But that’s not really fair to everyone who isn’t like me, and can’t physically grow a full or thick beard.
但对那些胡须没有我这么浓密,或者无法自然长出满脸的胡须,或者很浓密的胡须的人来说,这其实是不公平的。
As pre-pubescent boys, we lived to hope that one day we’d be able to rock a giant face warmer.
还没进入青春期的时候,我们一直希望有一天我们也能有一脸浓密的大胡子。
We were even counterintuitively told to shave, so that the hair would come in faster and thicker.
甚至有人反直觉地告诉我们,刮脸刮得越勤,胡须才会长得越快越浓密。
There are a lot of obvious reasons that’s not in any way true, but we still optimistically did it.
明明有很多明显的原因表明这一点无论如何都不可能是真的,但我们还是屁颠儿屁颠儿地照做了。
Sadly, the fact is, not everyone can grow a beard, and even those that can have varying levels of success.
遗憾的是,事实上,不是每个人都会长胡子,而且即使是会长,长出来的浓密程度也不一样。
So, is there some trick, or medication, or just a dang explanation to make up for the beard variety?
那么,有没有什么诀窍、药物,再不济解释也行,能告诉我们为什么胡须有这么多不同呢?
Your first inclination may be to say, “Well, it’s testosterone and men with more testosterone grow better beards”.
大家的第一反应可能是,“这个嘛,是睾丸激素的问题啦,睾丸激素越多的男人胡须也会更浓密。”
But that’s not quite right.
但这么说其实并不完全正确。
Testosterone is part of a group of hormones called androgens, which regulate sexual development.
调节性发育的“雄激素”有很多种,睾丸激素只是其中的一种。
Specifically, testosterone regulates, among a ton of other things, what we call, “male secondary sex characteristics”.
具体来说,睾丸激素有着丰富的调节功能,其中就包括调节我们所说的“男性第二性征”。
That covers physical attributes usually associated with men, but which are not directly involved in reproduction.
也即那些通常与男性有关,与生殖又没有直接关系的身体特征。
Sure, beards are sexy, but you don’t have sex with them.
没错,胡子是很性感,但你不能和胡子滚床单吧。
So, testosterone is the reason men (and some women) have facial hair, more muscle mass, deeper voices and so on.
所以,睾丸激素虽然就是男性(和部分女性)会长胡须、肌肉发达、嗓音浑厚等的原因。
But that’s NOT the reason some men can’t grow beards.
但它并不是部分男性不长胡须的原因。
Here’s the tricky part: testosterone levels on their own don’t predict hair growth;
这个问题复杂就复杂在:睾丸激素的水平本身并不能预示会有胡须长出来;
in fact, the chemical you’re really looking for is called dihydrotestosterone, or DHT,
实际上,我们真正要找的化学物质叫做“双氢睾酮”,简称“DHT”,
which is basically a super potent form of testosterone that induces both beard growth and also… hair loss.
DHT算是一种超级有效的睾丸激素,它既能促进胡须的生长,也能导致……脱发。
And the trickier thing?
更复杂的是什么?
Whether or not you can grow a beard, and whether or not your hair falls out,
你会不会长胡须,以及你会不会脱发,
is determined almost entirely by the number of androgen receptors in the upper layer of your skin.
几乎都完全取决于皮肤上层的雄激素受体的数量。
The more androgen receptors you have,
雄激素受体越多,
the more DHT will bind to them, and more hair will appear on the lower half of your head, and less on the upper half.
结合的DHT越多,你下半脸的胡须就会越多,你头顶的头发也就会越少。
The reason that the same chemical causes exactly opposite results
同一种化学物质之所有会有截然不同的两种功能,
is because there is different gene expression based on the different types of hair follicles.
是因为不同类型的毛囊有不同的基因表达。
Unfortunately for my beardless or balding buddies, the number of androgen receptors you have seems to be ultimately decided by genetics.
让那些没有胡须或秃顶的朋友遗憾的是,雄激素受体的数量似乎最终是由基因决定的。
3

And while there are medications that can lower the amount of DHT in your body,

虽然有药物可以降低我们体内的DHT水平,
which is how some people fight male-pattern baldness,
有些人就是用这种办法治疗男性秃顶的,
there is little you can do to boost your number of androgen receptors to the point where you turn a baby-face into a lumberjack.
但我们几乎还是无法增加雄激素受体的数量到能够让一张娃娃脸变成一张伐木工人的脸。
That’s not to say you can’t increase them,
这并不是说我们就完全不能提高雄激素受体的水平,
studies show it is possible, it is just unlikely to have a serious effect on beard growth.
研究表明,提高雄激素受体的水平是可能的,只是不太可能对胡子的生长产生显著的影响。
But of course, there are exceptions.
当然了,例外也是有的。
Men with plenty of androgen receptors and DHT can end up developing alopecia areata,
雄激素受体和DHT水平较高的男性最终可能变成斑秃,
a skin disease that attacks hair follicles, and results in large bald patches on the beard or scalp.
一种会攻击毛囊,造成胡须或头皮大面积秃斑的皮肤病。
Luckily, it’s treatable.
幸运的是,这种皮肤病是可以治愈的。
There are also some women who are able to growth dark, thick facial hair as a result of a condition called “hirsutism”.
还有一些女性因为“多毛症”长出了又黑又浓的胡须。
Just as in men, this can occur if the woman has too many androgen receptors along with higher levels of testosterone, which women already naturally produce in small amounts.
和男性一样,如果女性体内雄激素受体过多,睾丸激素水平较高的话——正常情况下女性分泌的睾丸激素水平是很低的——这种情况也是可能发生的。
And female facial hair is not uncommon; roughly 5% of women in the US have hirsutism.
而且,女性长胡须这种事情并不罕见;美国有大约5%的女性都有多毛症。
But in the end, I’m sorry to say,
但最后,我要很抱歉地说,
if you’re a man in your 20s, and you’re still struggling to complete the lumberlook,
如果你已经是个20多岁的小伙子却还在努力打造你的伐木工造型的话,
then you’ll likely be struggling for the rest of your life.
那恐怕往后余生你还得接着努力了。
At least be happy that you probably won’t go bald anytime soon.
但起码你应该庆幸自己不会很快变卤蛋啊。
And for those of you who are both scraggly AND balding, my deepest condolences.
对于那些大胡子又脱发的朋友,请接受我最沉重的哀悼。
Write your parent’s genetics a strongly, stronly worded letter.
建议你们给你们父母的基因写一封措辞强硬的信,跟它们刚!
One thing you can control, however, is how your beach bod looks.
不过,有一件事是你可以控制的,那就是你的海滩身材啊。
Beachbody On Demand can help you!
Beachbody On Demand可以帮你们噢!
Check them out online at DNewsBOD.com, where you can get access a wide variety of workout programs
详情请登录DNewsBOD.com网站,网站上有各种各样的锻炼计划,
including the world-famous P90X, Insanity, Focus T25, and bunch of others.
包括举世闻名的“P90X”,“疯狂”,“焦点T25”等项目。
Sign up for Beachbody On Demand today and get a FREE 30-Day Membership.
现在注册Beachbody还可获得30天免费会员资格噢。
But maybe you don’t even want a beard.
但也许你根本就不想留胡须。
After all, there’s all kinds of bacteria living up there.
毕竟,胡须里会寄生各种各样的细菌。
Trace tells you all about how gross a beard can be here.
Trace的这个视频就告诉了我们胡须到底有多恶心。
So, what about you?
那么,你呢?
Does your facial hair follow your family lineage?
你的胡须遗传你们家族的特征了吗?
Let us know down below in the comments and make sure to like and subscribe for more DNews every day of the week.
请在下面的评论中告诉我们,并记得订阅收看更多节目内容噢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
minutes ['minits]

想一想再看

n. 会议记录,(复数)分钟

 
lumberjack ['lʌmbədʒæk]

想一想再看

n. 伐木工人;木材商的佣工;短茄克衫

 
predict [pri'dikt]

想一想再看

v. 预知,预言,预报,预测

联想记忆
gene [dʒi:n]

想一想再看

n. 基因

联想记忆
produce [prə'dju:s]

想一想再看

n. 产品,农作物
vt. 生产,提出,引起,

联想记忆
bacteria [bæk'tiəriə]

想一想再看

n. (复数)细菌

 
check [tʃek]

想一想再看

n. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案

联想记忆
mass [mæs]

想一想再看

n. 块,大量,众多
adj. 群众的,大规模

 
shave [ʃeiv]

想一想再看

n. 修面,刮胡子
vt. 修面,剃,擦过,消

 
boost [bu:st]

想一想再看

vt. 推进,提高,增加
n. 推进,增加

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。