手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 沃克斯独立观点 > 正文

特朗普时代 奥巴马医改的命运(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

This is Whitley County.

这是惠特利县。
Like many counties in this region, voters here overwhelmingly supported Donald Trump in November’s election.
11月份的时候,惠特利县的绝大多数选民都把票投给了特朗普,周边其他县的情况也是一样。
The county has a median per capita income of around $16,000.
该县的人均收入中位数在1.6万美元左右。
It’s 97% white and 88% of the residents over 25 don’t have a college degree.
居民中白人占到了总人口的97%,25岁以上的居民88%都没有大学学历。
It also happens to be the birthplace of Kentucky Fried Chicken.
该县碰巧还是肯德基炸鸡的发源地。
And yet these are some the Americans who have also benefitted most from Barack Obama’s signature healthcare policy--The Affordable Care Act or Obama Care.
然而,这里的居民也是整个美国从奥巴马总统签署的医疗政策——又称“平价医疗法案”或“奥巴马医改”中受益最大的人群之一。
"I'm running around with Vox, VOX.news.com and all that, and there's a news person
“我现在正在和Vox,VOX.news.com还是什么的这个栏目的人在一起,来了一个记者,
and he's following me around to learn about southeastern Kentucky and how the effects of the healthcare have been on us"
他正跟我到处转悠呢,他想了解了解肯塔基东南部地区的情况以及平价医疗法案对我们这边的人的影响。”
That’s Kathy. She works as an enrollment counselor for Obamacare, helping people sign up for the program.
这位是凯茜。她是奥巴马医改项目的一名参保顾问,职责是帮助人们报名参加这个医保项目。
Since the law was implemented in 2013, the percentage of people in this county with health insurance went from 75% up to 90%.
自2013年该法案实施以来,惠特利县享有医保的人口比例就从75%上升到了90%。
And Kathy has signed up a lot of those people.
其中有很多人都是在凯茜的帮助下参保的。
"I couldn't count. I don't have the specific figure on my own. Over a thousand or something."
“数不清了。我没有具体统计过,但应该有1000人以上吧。”
But here’s the curveball
但让人难以理解的是……
"Who did you end up voting for?" "Trump"
“你最后把票投给谁了?”“特朗普”
"Real change begans with imediately repealing and replacing Obama Care."
“立刻废除并替换掉奥巴马医保,你们的生活才会发生实实在在的变化!”
Since Obamacare launched in 2013,
自2013年奥巴马医改推出以来,
the number of lower income, less educated white Americans with insurance increased dramatically, not just in Kentucky, but nationwide.
低收入、低文化水平的美国白人中,购买医保的人数就有了大幅上涨,而且不止是肯塔基州,全国范围内都是如此。
This group benefitted disproportionately from the law.
这个群体就是从奥巴马医改法案中获益最大的群体。
Yet this same demographic showed up in huge numbers for Trump in November.
然而,在11月的选举中,这个群体中支持特朗普的比例也是最高的。
I went to Kentucky to talk to Kathy.
我到肯塔基州找凯茜聊了这个问题。
I wanted to understand why so many people would vote for a candidate who promised to repeal a program that they depend so much on.
因为我想知道,为什么他们中间会有那么多人投票支持一个承诺要废除他们耐以生存的医保计划的候选人。
Vox would soon be hosting an interview with President Obama and we invited Kathy to attend to share her perspective and ask a questions.
不久之后,我们栏目还会邀请奥巴马总统做一期访谈节目,届时我们也会邀请凯茜分享她的意见并向总统提问。
"And they invited me to the white house. Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god, YES, the white house,
“他们还邀请我去白宫了,天啦天啦天啦天啦,真的是白宫噢,
You've got to get on Facebook, you've really missed out on a lot of stuff."
到时候你一定要上Facebook,否则你会错过很多精彩内容噢。”
Before going to DC, we traveled around South Eastern Kentucky, talking to Trump supporters who are also enrolled in Obamacare
在前往华盛顿之前,我们先在肯塔基州东南部地区转了转,采访了几位加入了奥巴马医保,也投票给了特朗普的老乡。
We want to hear their opinions about the law and what they think the next administration will do to make it better.
我们想听听他们对这一法案的看法,以及他们认为下届政府会怎样改善奥巴马医保。

`

"Everybody needs insurance, regardless of culture, We never know what's going on, but you also need to be able to afford it."

“人人都需要保险,不论什么文化背景......毕竟以后的事情我们谁也说不准,但你也得有能力负担保险险才行。”
We landed on a couple of explanations for this Trump-Obamacare paradox.
关于“特朗普 - 奥巴马医保悖论”,我们得出了几种可能的解释。
The first is that people in Kentucky believe Trump and the GOP would never actually repeal a program that benefits over 20 million people.
一个是肯塔基州人民相信,特朗普和共和党不会真的废除一个惠及2000多万人的计划。
“So you don't think that that, that they would actually do that?”
“你觉得他们(共和党)不会真的这样做是吗?”
“No, they couldn't. That would be like... He's got children, he's smarter than that. you know what I'm saying.”
“不会,他们也不能那么做。那样就好比……他也有孩子,他没那么傻。你懂的。”
A lot of people thought Trump’s campaign rhetoric against Obamacare was all talk
很多人都觉得特朗普在竞选活动上反对奥巴马医保的言论只是嘴上说说而已,
and that there’s really no way he would actually repeal a program that so many are dependent on.
觉得他也没办法真的废除那么多人都离不开的一个计划。
And it wasn’t just these Trump Voters who thought that.
而且,这么想的还不止投票给了特朗普的那些人。
I have covered the healthcare law as a journalist for about 7 years now.
我是一名记者,有关医保法案的新闻我已经报道了差不多7年了。
It actually felt, until a few months ago, like a safe assumption
直至几个月前,覆盖了2000万人的平价医疗法案是会继续推广,
that the ACA, rolled out, covering 20 million people, that it was going to stick around.
继续存在的这种假设都是很保险的假设。
I remember I wrote a story for Vox in 2015 and the headline was something like
我记得,2015年的时候我还为栏目写过一篇报道,标题大概是:
"Obamacare survived its final tests and its here to stay"
“奥巴马医保已经跨过最后一道障碍,他将继续存在下去。”
Republicans were just up through the election and up after the election have just remained so committed to repealing the ACA.
大选结束之后,共和党人仍然极力地想要废除平价医疗法案。
A year ago, I did not expect that. I thought we were going to see a backing off of those attitudes. And I was wrong.
这是我一年前所没想到的,我以为他们的态度会软化,但我错了。
Many Obamacare enrollees in Kentucky, as well as policy experts and journalists all assumed that Obamacare was too widespread to be repealed.
肯塔基州很多加入了奥巴马医保的群众以及这方面的政策专家和记者都以为奥巴马医保已经非常普遍,不可能被废除。
But Congressional republicans are proving them wrong, moving as aggressively as they can to repeal it.
但国会的共和党议员们正在积极采用各种办法废除这一法案,证明当地人民的想法是错的。
"Mr Ryan has said a top priority for the new congress is going to be the repeal of Obamacare."
"瑞恩先生说过了,新一届国会的首要任务就是废除奥巴马医保。”
But perhaps the stronger theory on why Obamacare beneficiaries voted for Trump
尽管如此,奥巴马医保的受益人为何会投票给特朗普,更有力的解释或许是
was a general dissatisfaction with the cost of the program and the believe that Trump would somehow make it better for them.
这个计划的高额成本引起了民众整体的不满情绪,而且,大家相信特朗普会设法为他们改善这一计划。
We met up with Perry, a security guard recently signed up for Obamacare.
我们此行还约见了最近才加入奥巴马医保的保安佩里,
It’s the first time he’s ever had health insurance in his life.
这也是他生平第一次参保。
"I've not been to a doctor. you weren't even in this world last time I went to a doctor"
“我不看医生......我上次看医生的时候你可能还没出生吧。”
"Really?" "Yeah."
“真的吗?”“真的”
Thanks to Kathy, Perry was able to sign up at healthcare.gov just a few months ago.
几个月前,在凯茜的帮助下,佩里在healthcare.gov网站上注册了账号。
But his deductible ended up being $2000.
但他的自付款(即医保报销门槛费)就高达2000美元。
"Unless something drastic was to happen, how many times will I have to go to the doctor, to the hospital or something before I, you know, use up over 2000 dollars,
“除非是得了大病,否则我得看几次才能用完那2000美元啊?
I just wish that, if they're gonna shove it down your throat, have something that you can afford."
我只希望,如果他们真的要强制我们参保,那就应该制定个我们负担得起的方案吧。”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
repeal [ri'pi:l]

想一想再看

n. 废止,撤消
v. 废止,撤消

联想记忆
priority [prai'ɔriti]

想一想再看

n. 优先权,优先顺序,优先

 
covering ['kʌvəriŋ]

想一想再看

n. 覆盖物,遮避物 adj. 掩护的,掩盖的

 
demographic [.di:mə'græfik]

想一想再看

adj. 人口统计学的

联想记忆
specific [spi'sifik]

想一想再看

adj. 特殊的,明确的,具有特效的
n. 特

联想记忆
assumed [ə'sju:md]

想一想再看

adj. 假装的;假定的

 
figure ['figə]

想一想再看

n. 图形,数字,形状; 人物,外形,体型
v

联想记忆
campaign [kæm'pein]

想一想再看

n. 运动,活动,战役,竞选运动
v. 从事运

联想记忆
stick [stik]

想一想再看

n. 枝,杆,手杖
vt. 插于,刺入,竖起<

 
interview ['intəvju:]

想一想再看

n. 接见,会见,面试,面谈
vt. 接见,采

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。