手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

墨西哥厨师扭转人们对墨西哥菜的成见 (1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Mexican food is one of the most appropriated foods in the United States.

墨西哥菜是美国最受欢迎的菜系之一。
Number one Mexican restaurant in the United States is what? Taco Bell?
那美国排名第一的墨西哥餐厅是哪一家呢?塔可钟?
What's wrong with that picture?
有问题吗?
For almost 18 years I've been changing perceptions of Mexican food.
近18年来,我一直在努力改变人们对墨西哥食物的看法。
People walk in, they want chips and salsa.
顾客走进我的餐厅,想吃薯条和莎莎酱?
I don't give them chips and salsa, sorry.
对不起,我是不会给他们做这些的。
However, you're not gonna be uncomfortable with my food; I promise you that, bud.
不过,你绝对不会觉得我餐厅的菜难吃;这点我敢打包票,哥们儿。
Come on in.
快请进。
There are those who wake up every morning to fight for a better world.
有些人每天早上醒来都在为把世界变得更加美好而奋斗。
They're not celebrities or politicians. They're regular people. They are The Brave.
他们不是名人,也不是政客,他们就是普通人。他们是“勇士”。
In Mexico, you have your church in your plaza and then the mercado.
墨西哥的购物广场就有教堂,也有市场。
My mercado is right down the street.
我的市场就在这条街。
My name's Silvana Salcido Esparza, I'm chef/owner of Barrio Café, and Barrio Café Gran Reserva.
我叫Silvana Salcido Esparza,是巴里奥餐厅和巴里奥精品餐厅的主厨兼老板。
We are finishing up our 17th year and going into our 18th year.
我们餐厅即将结束第17个年头,迈入第18个年头了。
And restaurant years is like dog years, that's an eternity.
餐厅的岁月就像狗的岁月一样快,永远都是这样。
I've gotten coast to coast coverage from the media, got inducted to the Culinary Hall of Fame.
我们餐厅被来自全国各地好多家媒体都报道过,我也荣幸地入选了烹饪名人堂。
What I brought was different.
我们就要做不一样的菜。
It's one of those dishes that predates the conquest; it's a decolonized food.
我们家的菜的历史比美国被征服的历史还要悠久,我们做的是去殖民化时代的菜。
Mexican food near normal American's perception should be combination plate for 8.99, and probably includes a $1.50 margarita.
在普通美国人看来,墨西哥菜就等于8.99美元的拼盘,可能还包括一杯1.5美元的玛格丽塔鸡尾酒。
But Barrio Cafe is a trailblazing restaurant.
但巴里奥餐厅是一家开天辟地的餐厅。
We're not about the yellow cheese and Chimichanga;
我们不做黄奶酪和炸卷饼;
that's not the kind of food that I, as a chef, choose to execute.
这不是身为厨师的我会选择做的菜。
We create with cultural pride.
我们是带着文化自豪感在创作菜品。
I grew up the only Mexican family in an all white country school.
我在一所全是白人的乡村学校长大的,社区里只有我们一家是墨西哥家庭。

1

So I was a cultural attache if you will.

所以,也可以说我是一名墨西哥文化专员。
My food is influenced by the artisanal cooks, the traditional cooks of Mexico.
我餐厅的菜受到了墨西哥传统厨师的影响。
Women who have been warriors and carrying our food from generation to generation.
她们都是勇士,一代又一代地传承着我们的美食文化。
I use them as an influence for the food I do.
我做菜的时候就会从他们那里找灵感。
They feed it to the pigs in Iowa; they call it corn smut.
爱荷华州的人用这个来喂猪,他们管这个叫“玉米黑粉病”。
In Mexico we use it as a delicacy.
在我们墨西哥眼里却是一种美味佳肴。
It is in par with a truffle, a European truffle.
它相当于松露,相当于欧洲的松露。
Mexican food is always an evolution and the closest you get to its source, the better it is.
墨西哥食物一直在进化,你离它的源头越近,做出来的食物就越好吃。
The Barrio Cafe is a magical place; it has a life of its own.
巴里奥餐厅是一个神奇的地方;它有自己的生命。
A lot of people in the kitchen have been there since the start of the restaurant.
我厨房里的很多师傅都是开张以来就一直在的。
Representation matters.
代表是很重要的。
As a young woman I was looking for other Mexican chefs; I couldn't find any.
年轻的时候,我也尝试过找其他墨西哥厨师;但没找到。
We're women owned, nine out of 10 times it's women who are cooking your food and that includes the line.
我们餐厅是女人的天下,十分之九的时候都是女人掌的勺,流水线上的工人也是女性。
People who are in there are in a safe place, no profanity, not vulgar, no sexual harassment.
进了我们的厨房,就相当于进了安全屋,我们的厨房没有脏话,没有下流的举动,也没有性骚扰。
She's a mentor for me, just seeing that she's Mexican as well and a female.
她是我人生的导师,因为她也是墨西哥人,也是女性。
Little places like this are an inspiration.
这种小地方的存在特别鼓舞人心。
My kitchens have always been very diverse.
我的厨房一直非常多样化。
We are a motley crew; queer or not queer.
我们各式各样的人都有;有酷儿(同性恋),也有不是酷儿的。
We all embrace each other and love each other;
我们彼此拥抱,彼此关爱;
we know each other's husbands and wives and partners and that partner's.
我们也认识彼此的丈夫、妻子、朋友,朋友的朋友。
We're cooking for people who are cooking with love.
我们是在为用爱烹饪的人烹饪。
And that has to be part of the ingredients: to always be in the kitchen with love.
永远要带着爱在厨房里,这一点必须是我们配方的一部分。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
mentor ['mentə]

想一想再看

n. 指导者 vt. 指导

联想记忆
inspiration [.inspə'reiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 灵感,吸入,鼓舞人心(的东西)

联想记忆
kitchen ['kitʃin]

想一想再看

n. 厨房,(全套)炊具,灶间

 
vulgar ['vʌlgə]

想一想再看

adj. 通俗的,粗俗的

联想记忆
delicacy ['delikəsi]

想一想再看

n. 柔软,精致,佳肴

联想记忆
source [sɔ:s]

想一想再看

n. 发源地,来源,原始资料

 
combination [.kɔmbi'neiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 结合,联合,联合体

联想记忆
bud [bʌd]

想一想再看

n. 芽,花蕾
vi. 发芽,萌芽

 
traditional [trə'diʃənəl]

想一想再看

adj. 传统的

 
uncomfortable [ʌn'kʌmftəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 不舒服的,不自在的

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。