手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

永安和 纽约唐人街最古老的店铺

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Wing on Wo itself being here, throughout five generations is a radical act.

永安和在这里已经历经了五代人的时光,这本身就是非常不同凡响的一件事情。
And the fact that we're opening our doors to engage with our community in another way, takes that to the next level.
而我们敞开大门接触社区的做法又将这一不同凡响提升到了一个新的高度。
"To bend the word threat."
“以威胁这个词。
Trying to integrate a social mission into the work that we do here;
努力将奉献社会这一使命融入我们的日常工作;
for me it's also cultivating my own relationship with Chinatown as it changes.
对我而言也是在唐人街不断变化的进程中培养我与这里的联系。
This Great Big Story is brought to you by Delta.
感谢达美航空对本期“伟大的故事”的大力支持。
When we venture out into the world, we see all that we share.
闯荡世界,见你所享。达美航空。
My name is Mei Lum.
我叫美虹。
I'm the fifth generation owner of Wing on Wo and also the founder and director of the Wow Project.
是永安和的第五代传人,也是Wow项目的创始人和负责人。
Wing on Wo is the oldest continually run store in Chinatown.
永安和是我们这条唐人街上历史最悠久的一家一直在营业的店。
It was started by my great-great-grandfather in 1890.
它是我的高曾祖父在1890年时创办的。
Today Wing on Wo, sells a collection of porcelain.
如今,永安和出售的是瓷器收藏。
Wing on Wo is completely family run.
我们店一直是我们家族在经营。
The store has been throughout the years, like our family living room.
店里多年来一直都是这个样子,就像我们的客厅一样。
It's where we meet up, where we hang out.
是我们待人接客的地方,也是我们玩儿的地方。
There's a kitchen in the back.
后面还有个厨房。
We're not only selling porcelain pieces,
我们不仅卖瓷器,
but we're also supporting the community through the work that we do with the Wow project.
还发起了“Wow”这个项目扶持社区。
And we're doing that through arts and activism.
我们走的是艺术和积极行动路线。
At the time when Chinatown was forming, we had no other place to go.
唐人街还没有成形的时候,我们根本没别的地方可去。
We were being pushed out and marginalized,
我们被排挤,被边缘化,
so we had to in order to survive, create these Chinatowns, to pass a safe space.
所以,为了生存,为了延续一个安全的生存空间,我们不得已才建了这些唐人街。
There's still recent immigrants that are coming to America and needing a space to land.
现在也还是有新移民来美国,他们也需要一个落脚点。
But Chinatown's around the country are at a very pivotal moment with their longevity
但全国各地的唐人街都面临着一个非常关键的时刻,那就是能不能长久,
and reassessing their purpose in serving these immigrant communities.
还有就是重新审视为移民大家庭服务这一宗旨的问题。
A lot of different Asian Americans who aren't even Chinese,
有好多亚裔美国人,有的甚至都不是中国人,

2

come to Chinatown to grocery shop to learn about their culture and their identity.

他们都会来唐人街,来这边的小店了解他们的民族文化,他们的民族身份。
For me, the store itself has been a landing and launching pad in my life to understand my Asian-American identity;
就我自己而言,我对我的亚裔美国人身份,
to understand Chinese culture and history as well as my sense of self and sense of grounding in this community.
对中国的文化和历史以及我的自我意识乃至在这儿的归属感的了解都是从这家店开始的。
After I graduated college I decided to live and work abroad for eight years.
大学毕业后,我到国外生活并工作了八年。
I came back hoping to apply to grad school,
回来的时候我本来是想申请读研的,
but right before I hopped on the plane back, my dad had called me and told me,
就在我准备上回美国的飞机的时候,我爸给我打电话了,
we are thinking about selling the business and the building.
说他们考虑把店和楼都卖了。
I always had relied on having this space as a constant.
一直以来,这个地方的存在我已经习以为常了。
So when I realized that this was not going to be here anymore, that's when you start thinking about, how can I continue this legacy?
于是我开始意识到以后这个地方就没有了,也就是那时候,我开始思考,要怎么样我才能把这份家族产业延续下去这个问题。
I never ever thought that I would be taking over the store, but I started learning about gentrification and displacement.
我从来都没想过接管这家店,但我还是开始了学习中产阶级化和背井离乡方面的知识。
And that really opened my eyes to the larger context that my family situation was existing in.
正是在那个过程中,我看到了我的家庭所处的大环境。
I had to make that decision, if I was going to do something about it.
我意识到,如果我想做点什么,就必须做出那个决定。
When I took over, I had a lot of interactions with all these people in my community about what they care about,
接手之后,我在社区跟大家展开了大量的互动,去了解他们在乎的东西,
and I was in a position to do something.
而我恰好又有这个能力帮助他们。
So we started a community initiative out of the store front called the Wow Project.
所以我们就在店门口启动了一个社区活动项目,名为“Wow项目”。
We do host different public programs in the storefront space, like screenings, talks, readings.
我们就地在店门口举办各种公共活动,比如放映啦,演讲啦,阅读啦等等。
"It seemed as if there were serpents and ocean. I fought to be with my son."
“前方似乎有蛇和大海。为了和儿子团聚,我决定拼了。”
We have a storefront residency program that we offer up to an emerging Asian American artist.
我们还专门为艺术行业新入行的亚裔同胞们开设了一个驻留项目。
We also have the youth internship program.
我们还有青年实习项目。
It really runs the gamut.
各种类型的项目我们都有开设。
The largest event that we hold is our anniversary fundraiser.
我们举办的最大的活动是周年募捐活动。
And we've outgrown the store, so just to see how many people came out, it was really incredible.
当时,我们的店挤满了人,看看来的人的数量,都会让人觉得非常的不可思议。
Chinatown has been such a safe haven for me, and I'm happy that I was able to grow up in this space because it's grounding me.
唐人街就是我的避风港,我也很高兴我能在这里长大,因为这里给了我一片立足之地。
So for me it's amazing to hear that, that's the same thing for other folks.
所以,对我来说,了解到这个地方对其他人的意义和我一样特别惊喜。
That's the dream right?
这也是梦想,对吧?
So much of this year has been about strengthening our community.
今年我们花了很多很多时间改善我们的社区。
So to the Wow team, thank you for your heart, soul, creativity and imagination.
所以,对我的Wow团队的成员,我要说一句,感谢你们的用心,感谢你们的创造和想象。
We want people to be able to cultivate themselves, nurture themselves here and be able to like do even bigger and better things beyond this.
我们希望大家能够在这里韬光养晦,能够做出比我们做的还要大,还要有益的事业。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
emerging [i'mə:dʒ]

想一想再看

vi. 浮现,(由某种状态)脱出,(事实)显现出来

 
integrate ['intigreit]

想一想再看

v. 整合,使 ... 成整体
adj. 组合

 
delta ['deltə]

想一想再看

n. (河流的)三角洲

 
threat [θret]

想一想再看

n. 威胁,凶兆
vt. 威胁, 恐吓

 
engage [in'geidʒ]

想一想再看

v. 答应,预定,使忙碌,雇佣,订婚

 
creativity [.kri:ei'tiviti]

想一想再看

n. 创造力,创造

联想记忆
incredible [in'kredəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 难以置信的,惊人的

 
legacy ['legəsi]

想一想再看

n. 祖先传下来之物,遗赠物
adj. [计算

联想记忆
community [kə'mju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落

联想记忆
kitchen ['kitʃin]

想一想再看

n. 厨房,(全套)炊具,灶间

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。