手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

在保护工作上狗狗是如何帮助到我们的

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Thank you. I'm here to talk about dogs,

谢谢大家。我今天想聊聊狗,
but more specifically, I'm here to talk about bad dogs, and why I love them.
具体说来,我想聊聊烈性犬,以及我喜欢它们的原因。
I'm a conservation biologist, meaning I study weird species and try to count them.
我是一位保护生物学家,我的工作就是研究奇怪的物种并接纳它们。
And I'm also a trainer of detection dogs, and where those two worlds meet is where I live, and where I work.
同时我还训练侦缉犬,这两个领域交集的部分就是我的生活和工作范围。
Most of the dogs that we get for this kind of work,
为了找可以承担这些工作的狗,
we scour shelters for because these are bad dogs, and they don't make great pets. And you know these dogs.
我们会去动物收容所找,因为它们是烈性犬,没办法做宠物,你们一定见过这种狗。
You go to your friend's barbecue,
你去朋友家吃烧烤,
and that dog comes up, and she is so happy to see you she pees on your feet,
它们家的狗就高兴的跑过来,在你的鞋子上小便,
and she drops this big, slabbery ball in your lap,
它还会把沾着口水的球扔在你大腿上,
and you just throw it to try to get as much distance between yourself and this dog as possible,
你把球远远地扔开,试图拉开跟它之间的距离,
and it comes back, and then by 950th throw you're just thinking,
但它又衔着球跑回来,第950次把球扔开的时候你想,
"Oh, just why didn't they get rid of this dog?" And often they do.
“为什么它们还不把这只狗扔掉?”通常主人家最后也确实会把它赶走。
They end up in shelters because they often have this overwhelming desire to bring you things.
于是它们就进了收容所,因为它们无法克制住自己给你衔来东西的欲望。
They think that you're really enjoying this.
它们还觉得你很开心。
The dog is so happy, thinking that you're all enjoying this game
狗狗太高兴了,它们觉得这样的游戏你一定很喜欢,
because you're throwing something and it's bringing it to you.
因为你把东西扔出去,它再给你捡回来。
And they're telling you where this thing is,
它们会告诉你这个东西在哪里,
and that's what we've asked them to do over the evolution of time, our companionship with dogs,
在漫长的进化史上,在我们与狗相伴的时间里,
we've asked them to bring us stuff. And they do a great job.
我们一直叫它们给我们拿东西。而它们也做得很好。
They bring us our livestock, and they bring us food and game,
它们给我们衔来牲畜,衔来食物和玩具,
and this is the only species on the planet that can be bothered to bring us stuff and bothered to tell us what they know.
它们是这个星球上唯一一种愿意给我们拿东西并告诉我们它们自己知道什么的物种。
I mean you can ask a camel or a bear, or you can ask your cat, and you get nothing.
你可以要求一只骆驼,或者熊,或者你可以要求你的猫给你拿东西,但它们做不到。
But dogs love telling you what they know.
但狗很乐意告诉你它们知道的信息。
And the ones that really really really love this,
它们也非常非常热爱这个活动,
they are over the top, they have this unbelievable energy, just unrelenting go and drive.
它们有用不完的精力,不知疲倦的跑来跑去。
And we categorize that often as just a reject dog.
人们通常不会选这种狗做宠物。
It is just too much, it's destructive, it's all of these things.
它们太闹腾,破坏力太强,天天忙个不停。
But those are the characteristics I like to work with in dogs.
但我就喜欢与这种狗一起合作。
Inability to quit: it's not even a desire, it's an inability to quit, it's what resilience is.
因为它们无法停止这种行为,这不是一种欲望,这是它们无法改变的本性,我们就可以去适应。
For a dog that doesn't stop, you can train that dog to do lots of things and bring you information.
针对精力充沛的狗,我们可以训练它们去做很多事情,让它们帮你获得信息。
I'd like to tell you a little bit about this particular dog, his name is Ruger. And he's a really bad dog.
我想跟大家讲讲这只狗,它叫鲁格,它就是烈性犬。
He is the first anti-poaching dog in Zambia, lives right next to a national park
作为赞比亚的第一支防偷猎犬,它就住在国家公园隔壁,
where animals are being poached and snared and trafficked out of the park,
国家公园的动物经常被人偷猎,人们把动物捉住然后偷偷运出公园,
and even, you know, elephant ivory from the Congo Basin is moving through Tanzania and through Zambia out to ports to be shipped abroad.
甚至你可能还听说过,刚果盆地的象牙会通过坦桑尼亚和赞比亚,再从港口运到国外。
And this dog is trained to find ivory and rhino horn, bush meat, other wild life contraband and guns and ammunition.
我们训练这只狗帮忙寻找象牙、犀牛角、野生动物的肉还有走私的野生动物、枪支和其它武器。
I trained him, and I found him to be a horrible dog.
训练的时候我就发现它很凶。
He bit and snapped at people, he was scary to approach,
它会咬人还会冲着人吠,人们害怕靠近它,
he was everything you fear in a dog, and it turns out he was going blind.
狗身上一切让人惧怕的特点它都有,而且它快瞎了。
So I take this dog to Zambia, and I pair him with these scouts who don't have any history of having pets
于是我把它带去了赞比亚,我把它派给那些从来没有养过宠物,
or being with dogs except throwing rocks at village dogs.
除了冲村里的狗扔石头之外从来没跟狗相处过的侦查员。
And they learned to think of this dog as a colleague.
它们学会了把狗当作同事。
And after four months of intensive training with dogs, they started setting up roadblocks
4个月的紧张训练之后,它们开始在国家公园外设置路障,
and looking for illegal contraband being trafficked in vehicles along the roads outside this park.
在公园外的道路上检查车上有没有非法走私的动物。
And they checked vehicles, and by a human doing it, it can take hours,
它们检查了车,人工检查要花上几个小时,
especially for a bus loaded with luggage and food, like this one up in the top corner.
特别是那种装满了行李和食物的车,比如上面角落里这种。
And Ruger just checked it in a few minutes as this is their first practice training on a roadblock.
但在第一次检查中,鲁格几分钟就有了发现。
And he alerted, which means he sat, and he stared at his handler, and the handler was like, "Oh, dear!"
它用坐在地上、盯着训导员的方式向它的训导员示警,它的训导员一副“哦,亲爱的”的样子。
They searched it, looked through it, and they found nothing, and so their spirits dropped.
随后他们展开了搜索,但什么都没找到,很失望。
But they unloaded that minivan, and they have luggage out,
然后他们把这个小货车上的行李卸下来,
and again Ruger picked a piece of luggage and he sat, and they searched through it and found nothing.
鲁格从中挑出了一件行李,又坐下了,他们又开始找,还是没有找到。
And Ruger insisted, and they went back, and then Ruger hit on a tiny matchbox wrapped in a plastic bag inside clothes.
但鲁格很坚持,于是他们回去,鲁格从一件衣服里找出了一个裹在塑料袋里的小火柴盒。
And inside that matchbox was a primer cap, which is an illegal firing pin for a handmade rifle.
里面是一个起爆雷管,就是一种用于手工制作来福枪的撞针。
And so everyone, all the passengers on that bus, all the scouts, they suddenly believed.
于是所有人,车上的乘客,侦查员突然都相信了鲁格。
They believed that Ruger knew what he was doing because he didn't quit.
他们相信鲁格知道自己在干什么,因为它一直没有放弃。
He has an even more interesting backstory.
还有个更有意思的背景故事。

在保护工作上狗狗是如何帮助到我们的

He came off of an Indian reservation, the Blackfeet Reservation in Montana.

鲁格来自蒙大拿州印第安黑足自然保护区。
And he was a horrible puppy, and the owner of this litter shot all of the dogs.
它小的时候就很凶,狗主人射死了所有的狗。
Somehow Ruger escaped, he ended up in a shelter in Helena.
只有它逃了出来,后来进了海伦娜的一家收容所。
Someone found him and noticed how bad he was and brought him to us to be trained as a conservation detection dog.
有人发现了它,觉得性子烈就把它带给了我们,让我们把它训练成保护区的侦缉犬。
He has made a huge difference.
它从此发生了很大的变化。
Because of his unrelenting energy and desire to work and love of work, he brings us amazing information.
它精力充沛,热爱工作,帮我们获取了很多信息。
Then there is another dog I'd like you to meet.
还有一条狗我想让大家见见。
His name is Pepin, and he is with our executive, Dr.Pete Coppolillo,
它叫佩平,是我们长官皮特·科波利罗博士在带,
who is going to tell you a little bit more, and I'm going to work Pepin for you.
它会给你们做进一步介绍,我让佩平展示给你们看。
Well, Megan, Pepin get ready. I'll give you a little update on Ruger.
梅根,佩平准备好了。我再补充一些鲁格的信息。
The four months after he made his first find in the minibus, he detected and the scouts he works with confiscated 15 guns.
在第一次发现小火车的问题四个月后之后,鲁格和它的侦查员搭档一起发现并没收了15条枪。
Mostly homemade muzzleloaders, which are their gun of preference for elephant poaching.
其中大部分都是自制的前膛枪,偷猎者猎杀大象时会优先选用这种枪。
They're also used because guns are hard to come by in Africa,
它们用这种枪也是因为枪在非洲人们很难搞到,
by sometimes seven, sometimes 10, sometimes more different poachers.
有时候7个,有时10个,有时候更多个不同的偷猎者会用这些枪。
So, as of now, there may be 100-150 different poachers who are out of business thanks to Ruger.
所以现在,由于鲁格,有约100到150个不同的偷猎者失业了。
And for these exceptional, really high-drive dogs, you know, Ruger is really the rule rather than the exception.
在这些与众不同的、异常活泼的狗中,鲁格这样的例子很常见。
And I'll tell you about a couple more.
我再补充一些。
This is Seamus. Seamus is trained to detect dyer's woad, which is the weed that's in that pot there.
这是谢默斯。谢默斯被训练来搜寻菘蓝,就是那个桶里的那种杂草。
And speaking of resilience, dyer's woad drops between 12,000 and 15,000 seeds a year.
说到适应能力,菘蓝一年能结出12000到15000颗种子。
So it's a noxious weed, and when it gets established, it's very hard to get rid of.
它是一种有毒的草,一旦长成,很难根除。
So people were working on getting rid of it on Mount Sentinel in Missoula for about 10 years,
十年来,米苏拉市圣地诺山上的人们一直在想办法根除它们,
and they weren't making any progress. So in 2011, we brought in Seamus.
但在此事上他们毫无进展。所以2011年,我们带着谢默斯前去。
And Seamus is able to do something that we human searchers can't, which is find it by smell before it flowers.
谢默斯可以做到部分我们人类无法做到的事,也就是在菘蓝开花之前就凭嗅觉找到它。
Seamus has knocked back dyer's woad by over 95 percent.
谢默斯帮我们找到了95%的菘蓝。
Thanks to him, we're going to do something that was unthinkable just a few years ago,
多亏有了它,我们做到了几年前根本不敢想象的事,
which is eradicate a noxious weed, a bad infestation of a noxious weed.
根除了这种蔓延极快的有害的杂草。
And this is Wicket. Wicket is one of the best stories.
这是维基特。维基特身上也有个故事。
She was in a shelter in Anaconda, Montana,
它原先在蒙大拿州的一家收容所,
and when we came to get her, the director of the shelter said, "You don't want that dog. That dog is crazy."
我们去接她的时候,收容所的主任说:“你们不会想要这条狗的。这是条疯狗。”
And now Aimee famously said, "I think she might be the right kind of crazy."
艾米说了句很出名的话:“我觉得疯得正好。”
Wicket is now the most accomplished conservation detection dog in the world.
维基特现在是世界上最战功赫赫的保护区侦缉犬。
She's worked on three continents, she's worked in dozens of US states,
它在三个大陆工作过,去过美国大部分州,
and here she is searching a boat for zebra mussels which have a microscopic larval stage that we can't see.
图里面是它在一条船上找斑贻贝,斑贻贝的幼虫我们人类要用显微镜才看得见。
Speaking of accomplished and crazy, now you guys will get to watch Pepin do his thing.
说到成就还有疯狂,现在你们可以看看佩平是怎么工作的。
So Meg's put his vest on. That is his signal that it's time to work.
梅根给它穿上了背心。这是告诉它要开始工作了的信号。
You can see he's low-focused.
可以看到它注意力有点不集中。
He is ready to go. So I hid ivory. I hid some ivory in the room.
它准备好了。我在房间里藏了象牙。
Pepin is one of the ivory dogs, and I hid some ivory in the room.
佩平是负责搜索象牙的,我在房间里藏了象牙。
You, guys, just stay put.
各位可以坐着不用动。
He's also not trained on narcotics, so no one has to make a run, for the door or anything like that,
我们没训练它找毒品,所以不用逃跑,寻找门或者类似的东西,
and when Meg tells him to go, he'll do his thing.
当梅根告诉它开始搜索的时候,它就会开始了。
So what you're going to see is you're going to see him work, and you can watch his head,
你们将会看见它工作时候的样子,你们会看见它的头,
he'll move his head up and down, it's a little hard indoors because there's not much air moving around in here.
因为它会一直抬头低头,室内搜索有点困难,因为可供移动的空间不够大。
But he'll search, and you may see him whip around, change directions, his alert is something we call "passive alert."
但是它还是会找,可以看见它转头,改变方向,我们把它的提醒方式叫做被动警告。
He sits. And the reason he does that is because we have him trained not to disturb the samples.
它坐了下来。这样是因为我们训练它不要破坏样品。
Sometimes it's a crime scene, so they want to collect evidence.
有时工作地点就是案发现场,需要收集证据。
Sometimes we collect scats for DNA or things like that.
有时候我们还会收集DNA之类的信息。
Normally, he works in big open places.
通常它会坐在一个大的开阔的地方。
He is trained on grizzly bear, he is trained on wolverine, so he runs on big, high meadows and pastures,
我们用棕熊、狼獾做目标给它训练,所以它可以在草原、牧场上奔跑,
but he's also trained on containers, vehicles and buildings.
它还在集装箱、汽车和建筑物里训练过。
And he's checking there. You see he's got scent now.
它在检查那里。它闻到气味了。
There he goes. Good job, pal! That's his alert.
找到了。干得漂亮!这就是它提醒的方式。
And she has a command that is, "Show me!" And he'll show where it is.
梅根命令它:“指给我看”。于是它把象牙找出来了。
So that's a broken ivory tusk. Well done. Thank you!
是一支破损的象牙。真棒。谢谢大家!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
disturb [dis'tə:b]

想一想再看

v. 扰乱,妨碍,使 ... 不安

联想记忆
microscopic ['maikrə'skɔpik]

想一想再看

adj. 显微镜的,极小的,微观的

 
evolution [.i:və'lu:ʃən]

想一想再看

n. 进化,发展,演变

联想记忆
eradicate [i'rædikeit]

想一想再看

v. 根除,扑减,根绝

联想记忆
evidence ['evidəns]

想一想再看

n. 根据,证据
v. 证实,证明

联想记忆
illegal [i'li:gəl]

想一想再看

adj. 不合法的,非法的
n. 非法移民

联想记忆
signal ['signl]

想一想再看

n. 信号,标志
v. (发信号)通知、表示<

联想记忆
scent [sent]

想一想再看

n. 气味,香味,痕迹
vt. 闻出,发觉,使

 
collect [kə'lekt]

想一想再看

v. 收集,聚集
v. 推论

联想记忆
passive ['pæsiv]

想一想再看

adj. 被动的,消极的
n. 被动性

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。