手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 畅游海底世界 > 正文

星际之门的蓝洞(上)

来源:可可英语 编辑:sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Coming up next on Jonathan Bird's Blue World, an expedition to one of the world's most fascinating caves!

接下来请收看乔纳森·伯德的《蓝色世界》,他对世界上最迷人的一个洞穴进行探险!
Hi, I'm Jonathan Bird and welcome to my world!
嗨,我是乔纳森·伯德,欢迎来到我的世界!
Most people, when they think about the Bahamas, imagine sandy beaches, blue water, and colorful coral reefs.
大多数人一想到巴哈马群岛,就会想到沙滩、碧水和五颜六色的珊瑚礁。
What they generally don't think about is this: limestone.
他们通常不会想到的是:石灰岩。
The Bahamas are islands built on a base of limestone—the skeletons of ancient coral reefs accumulated over millions of years.
巴哈马群岛是在石灰岩上建立起来的岛屿,这些古老珊瑚礁的骨骼积累了数百万年。
Bahamas limestone often looks like Swiss Cheese, because over thousands of years, slightly acidic rainwater has dissolved holes in it.
巴哈马石灰岩通常看起来像瑞士奶酪,因为数千年来,微酸的雨水已经在上面溶解出许多孔洞。
Sometimes those holes get quite large and fill with water.
有时这些洞会变得很大,充满了水。
Hence, they become what are known in the Bahamas as Blue Holes.
因此,它们成为了巴哈马群岛上的蓝洞。
Many of these Blue Holes have amazing cave systems within them.
这些蓝色的洞中布满令人惊叹的洞穴系统。
The Blue World team has traveled to the island of Andros in the Bahamas, to explore one of the most famous Blue Holes in the world: Stargate.
《蓝色世界》团队已经前往巴哈马的安德罗斯岛,探索世界上最著名的蓝洞之一:星际之门。
Our home away from home?
我们离家在外?
Small Hope Bay Lodge on North Andros.
北安卓斯的希望湾小屋。
They have a beautiful beach--an idyllic tropical location for rest and relaxation.
他们拥有一个美丽的海滩,这是一个田园诗般的热带地区,可以休息和放松。
Hey, I'll admit it, I don't mind Blue World assignments in the Bahamas!
我承认,我不介意在巴哈马完成《蓝色世界》的任务!
I might even just take a little nap in a hammock outside the dive shop!
我甚至可以在潜水店外面的吊床上小睡一会儿!
But not for long, because I have a meeting with Jeff Birch, the owner of Small Hope Bay Lodge, who is taking us diving!
但没多久,因为我要去见杰夫·伯奇,他是希望湾小屋的主人,他带我们去潜水!
So Jeff tell me where we are going for this dive?
杰夫会告诉我,我们要去哪里潜水?
Well we gotta get down here to South Andros, to Congo Town, because Stargate is just south of that.
我们要去刚果城的南安卓斯,因为星际之门就在它的南边。
And of course, these bights go all the way through the island.
当然,这些海湾一直贯穿该岛。
So what we're gonna do is we're gonna leave Small Hope which is right here, and we're gonna drive to the airport.
所以,我们要做的就是离开希望湾小屋,它就在这儿,然后开车去机场。
We're gonna jump in the plane, all of us and then we're gonna fly on down here…all the way down…crossing the bights.
我们所有人都要跳上飞机,然后我们飞到那里,一路穿过这些海湾。
You're gonna see some Blue Holes along the way, straight to Congo Town.
一路上你会看到一些蓝洞,一直延续到刚果城。
How long of a flight is that?
要飞多久?
Oh about 25 minutes.
大约25分钟。
And then after we arrive here, we'll offload and catch a ride to Stargate.
等我们到了那儿,就把东西卸下来,然后搭便车去星际之门。
Sounds great, I can't wait.
听起来好棒,我等不及了。
Oh man, it's gonna be great, absolute adventure!
天哪,这绝对是一次伟大的冒险!
It's gonna be great!
会超棒!
So, early the next morning, as the sun rises, Cameraman Tim, Todd and I get our gear ready for an early departure.
所以,第二天一早,太阳升起时,我和摄影师蒂姆、托德准备好提前出发的装备。
We have a long day ahead, and it starts with a ride to the airport in the back of a pickup truck loaded with gear!
摆在我们面前的是漫长的一天,一开始是坐在一辆满载装备的皮卡车后面去机场!
At the airport, we come to the conclusion that we have way too much gear to cram it all into a Cessna 172 along with ourselves, so Jeff decides to make two trips down south.
在机场,我们得出的结论是,我们的装备太多,人坐进去后,就无法把全部设备都塞进塞斯纳172中,所以杰夫决定分两次南下。
We load all our scuba gear into the plane along with Cameraman Tim for the first trip.
摄影师蒂姆和我们所有的潜水装备第一拨上飞机。
Good to know ya!
很高兴认识你!
Well, thanks for dropping us at the airport and leaving us here!
谢谢你把我们送到机场,把我们放在这就行了!
Hopefully, Jeff will be back for me and Todd--and the camera gear--in an hour or so.
希望杰夫能在一个小时左右回来接我和托德,还有摄像设备。
Jeff is man of many talents.
杰夫是个多才多艺的人。
Not only is he the owner of Small Hope Bay Lodge and a dive instructor, but he is also a pilot with over 40 years experience flying around the Bahamas.
他不仅是希望湾小屋的主人、潜水教练,还是一名在巴哈马群岛飞行了40多年的飞行员。
When you run a hotel in a remote place like Andros, an airplane is practically a necessity.
当你在安德罗斯这样偏远的地方经营一家酒店时,飞机实际上是必备品。
For Jeff, his airplane is like a car to many people.
对杰夫来说,他的飞机就像很多人拥有的汽车一样。
He and cameraman Tim are off on the first leg of our adventure, delivering the scuba gear to South Andros, which is only accessible by plane or boat.
他和摄影师蒂姆出发前往我们探险的第一站,把潜水装备送到南安卓斯,只能坐飞机或船才能到达。
But it's too far by boat for a single day.
但要坐一天船的话,距离太远了。
In spite of a strong breeze, flying is the only practical way to reach Stargate.
尽管有强风,但飞到星际之门是唯一切实可行的方法。

1.png

The 25 minute flight takes Jeff and Tim over the beautiful and remote landscape and coastal ocean of Andros Island.

25分钟的飞行,带着杰夫和蒂姆飞越美丽而遥远的风景,还有安德罗斯岛的沿海海洋。
Soon, they land on South Andros.
很快,他们降落在南安卓斯。
At the Congo Town airport, they unload the scuba gear from the airplane.
在刚果城机场,他们从飞机上卸下潜水装备。
That's a lot of gear for a small plane!
对于一架小型飞机来说,这些装备真是够多的!
But Jeff does this kind of thing all the time—it's part of being a bush pilot!
但杰夫总做这种事,这是无人区飞行员工作的一部分!
Soon, he's back in air, on his way back north to pick up me and Todd.
很快,他又返回到空中,向北飞来接我和托德。
We're just sitting around at the North Andros airport, watching the clouds roll in and wondering what the weather will bring.
我俩坐在北安卓斯机场,看着云层滚滚而来,想着会是什么天。
It's looking a little ominous.
看起来有点不祥的征兆。
Jeff lands under a graying sky and the first droplets of impending rain.
杰夫降落时,天空一片灰暗,伴着即将到来的大雨的第一批雨滴。
We load the rest of the gear, and we're off.
我们把剩下的装备装上飞机,然后就出发了。
Looking out the window, I can see The Guardian Blue Hole, where we dove last time we visited Andros.
我向窗外望去,可以看到守护者蓝洞,上次我们去安德罗斯时,曾经在那潜水。
But then, things get a little exciting.
但后来,事态变得有点激动人心。
We head directly into a huge rainstorm.
我们直接飞入了一场大暴雨中。
Rain is pelting the airplane.
雨点拍打着飞机。
We can't see anything out the windshield.
挡风玻璃外面什么也看不见。
I've seen better visibility underwater!
我在水下见到过更好的能见度!
Fortunately, it's not long before we land safely in South Andros to meet up with Cameraman Tim.
幸运的是,不久我们就安全降落在南安卓斯,与摄影师蒂姆会面。
Man, that was a wild ride!
伙计,这真是一次疯狂的旅行!
With all of our team and gear finally in South Andros, we can load it all into a van and head out to Stargate.
我们所有的队员和装备终于到达南安卓斯,可以把它们装进一辆货车,然后出发去星际之门。
I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but Stargate turns out to be practically in the middle of a neighborhood near Congo Town!
我不确定自己到底在期待什么,但星际之门实际上是在刚果城附近的一个街区中间!
It even has a sign.
它甚至还有一个标志。
We park the van the van as close as we can and Jeff points out an interesting formation.
我们把车停在尽可能近的地方,杰夫指着一个有趣的东西。
That's it—the Stargate fault line, right there.
这就是星际之门的断层线,就在那儿。
Jeff is pointing out a crack in the limestone, sometimes called a fault or a fracture.
杰夫指着石灰岩中的一条裂缝,有时它被称为断层或裂缝。
It's actually part of a series of fractures stretching more than ten miles, formed during the last ice age when sea levels were lower and stresses within the rock caused some of it to break.
它实际上是一系列延伸超过10英里的裂缝的一部分,形成于上一个冰河时期,当时海平面较低,岩石内部的压力导致一些裂缝破裂。
Deep underground, this fracture is filled with water.
在地下深处,这个裂缝充满了水。
And we're about to dive inside it!
我们就要潜进去了!
Look, I'm spanning the fault!
看,我在横跨断层!
It's very impressive.
真令人印象深刻。
Well, you're not impressed now but you wait, you will be impressed when we're diving under it!
好吧,你现在还不觉得印象深刻。但等会,当我们潜到下面的时候,你就会被震撼到了!
But before we can dive, we still have another task ahead of us: hauling all the gear to the Stargate entrance.
但在我们潜水之前,还有一项任务要做,就是要把所有装备都拖到星际之门入口。
And you know what that means!
你知道这是什么意思吧!
Huffing it on foot through the forest.
徒步穿越森林。
It's not a long walk and there's a clear trail.
步行并不远,这有一条很明显的小路。
But you can really appreciate how heavy scuba gear is when you have to hike it through the woods!
但当你不得不徒步穿越树林时,你就能真的意识到水肺装备有多重了!
Hiding in the forest, the entrance to Stargate offers up a little surprise.
星际之门的入口藏在森林里,给我们一个小小的惊喜。
The water is more than 20 feet down inside the hole!
水在洞里20多英尺深的地方!
Jeff gives us a dive briefing and goes over how we will conduct the dive.
杰夫给我们做了一个潜水简报,并介绍了如何进行此次潜水。
We're gonna go down, and then it's fresh water here, and you have the mixing zone…
我们要向下潜,然后这里是淡水,还有混合区域。
Having limited access to the water, we have to lower our gear down on ropes.
由于下水的方法很有限,我们不得不用绳子把装备放下去。
It's not the gear I'm worried about, it's me!
我担心的不是装备,而是我自己!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
pilot ['pailət]

想一想再看

n. 飞行员,领航员,引航员
vt. 领航,驾

联想记忆
crack [kræk]

想一想再看

v. 崩溃,失去控制,压碎,使裂开,破解,开玩笑

联想记忆
expedition [.ekspi'diʃən]

想一想再看

n. 远征,探险队,迅速

联想记忆
flight [flait]

想一想再看

n. 飞行,航班
n. 奇思妙想,一段楼

 
slightly ['slaitli]

想一想再看

adv. 些微地,苗条地

 
impending [im'pendiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 逼迫的,迫切的,即将发生的 动词impend的

联想记忆
impressive [im'presiv]

想一想再看

adj. 给人深刻印象的

联想记忆
departure [di'pɑ:tʃə]

想一想再看

n. 离开,出发,分歧

 
limestone ['laimstəun]

想一想再看

n. 石灰石

 
accessible [æk'sesəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 可得到的,易接近的,可进入的

联想记忆

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 水瓶宫珊瑚礁基地(下) 2019-10-17
  • 入侵物种——斑马贻贝(下) 2019-10-18
  • 星际之门的蓝洞(下) 2019-10-25
  • 海绵动物(上) 2019-10-31
  • 海绵动物(下) 2019-11-01
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。