"I resumed my notice of you.
我继续注意你。
There was something glad in your glance, and genial in your manner, when you conversed:
你交谈时眼神中透出某种快意,举止中隐含着亲切。
I saw you had a social heart; it was the silent schoolroom
我看到你内心是喜欢与人交往的,但清静的教室,
it was the tedium of your life -- that made you mournful.
乏味的生活弄得你情绪低落。
I permitted myself the delight of being kind to you; kindness stirred emotion soon:
我很乐意和气待你,而善意很快激起了情绪,
your face became soft in expression, your tones gentle;
你的面部表情变得温柔,你的声调变得亲切。
I liked my name pronounced by your lips in a grateful happy accent.
我很喜欢我的名字从你的嘴里吐出来,带着感激和快乐的声调。
I used to enjoy a chance meeting with you, Jane, at this time:
那时候我常常喜欢在不经意中碰到你,简,
there was a curious hesitation in your manner:
而你显出犹豫不决的样子。
you glanced at me with a slight trouble -- a hovering doubt: you did not know what my caprice might be
你略带困惑看了我一眼,那是一种徘徊不去的疑虑。你不知道我是否会反复无常,
whether I was going to play the master and be stern, or the friend and be benignant.
究竟会摆出主人的架子,一面孔的威严,还是会做个朋友,慈祥和蔼。
I was now too fond of you often to simulate the first whim;
这时我已经太喜欢你了,不忍激起第一种念头,
and, when I stretched my hand out cordially, such bloom and light and bliss rose to your young, wistful features,
我真诚地伸出手时,清新、光明、幸福的表情便浮现在你年轻而充满渴望的脸上,
I had much ado often to avoid straining you then and there to my heart."
我便总是犹疑不定,免得自己当场就把你拉进怀抱。”