手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 畅游海底世界 > 正文

黑胡子海盗的沉船(上)

来源:可可英语 编辑:sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Today on Jonathan Bird's Blue World, Jonathan helps archaeologists excavate Blackbeard The Pirate's shipwreck!

接下来请收看乔纳森·伯德的《蓝色世界》,乔纳森将协助考古学家挖掘黑胡子海盗的沉船!
Hi, I'm Jonathan Bird and welcome to my world!
嗨,我是乔纳森·伯德,欢迎来到我的世界!
Arggg!
啊!
I be Blackbeard the pirate, and welcome to me...barge?
我是黑胡子海盗,欢迎来到我的驳船?
How I ended up a pirate on a barge is an interesting story!
我是如何在驳船上成为海盗的,这是一个有趣的故事!
It all started back in 1717, when Edward Teach, better known as Blackbeard the Pirate, was roaming the Atlantic from Africa to the Caribbean, plundering ships as he went.
一切都要追溯到1717年,当时爱德华·迪奇俗称黑胡子海盗,在大西洋上从非洲漫游到加勒比海,边走边掠夺船只。
Although reported by his crew to be a fair and decent man, Blackbeard had a fierce reputation, partly due to his clever use of lit fuses in his hat to intimidate his enemies.
尽管他的船员们都说黑胡子是个公道正派的人,但他的名声却很坏,部分原因是他在帽子里巧妙地使用了点燃的保险丝来恐吓敌人。
Off the island of Saint Vincent, Blackbeard and his crew captured a French merchant vessel and quickly converted it to a pirate ship with 40 cannons, renaming her the Queen Anne'sRevenge.
在圣文森特岛附近,黑胡子和他的船员抓获了一艘法国商船,并迅速用40门大炮将其改装成海盗船,将其更名为安妮女王复仇号。
She was Blackbeard's flagship in a growing armada of captured ships.
她是黑胡子那支不断壮大的被俘虏的舰队中的旗舰。
But in 1718, Blackbeard ran the Queen Anne's Revenge aground on a sand bar outside Beaufort, North Carolina.
但是在1718年,黑胡子把安妮女王复仇号搁浅在北卡罗莱纳州博福特外的一个沙洲上。
Experts believe the grounding was intentional-the pirate version of corporate downsizing.
专家们认为,搁浅船只是海盗精简人员的一种做法。
He stranded many of his crew and fled in a smaller ship.
他把许多船员滞留在船上,乘小船逃走了。
Latter that year, Blackbeard was killed in a battle with British forces not far away at Okracoke Island.
那年晚些时候,黑胡子在不远处的俄克拉科克岛与英军的战斗中被杀。
The Queen Anne's Revenge was lost for hundreds of years until being discovered in 1996.
安妮女王复仇号遗失了数百年,直到1996年才被发现。
The shipwreck is now an active underwater archaeological site administered by the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources.
这艘沉船现在是一个活跃的水下考古遗址,由北卡罗来纳州文化资源部管理。
And that's where I come into the story.
我从这里开始讲述这个故事。
It's nearly morning in Beaufort, North Carolina and I'm getting on a barge--with a team of archaeologists.
北卡罗莱纳州博福特市已经接近凌晨,我正和一队考古学家登上一艘驳船。
But not just any archaeologists!
但不仅仅是考古学家!
These are underwater archaeologists who are excavating the wreck of Queen Anne's Revenge.
这些是正在挖掘安妮女王复仇号残骸的水下考古学家。
My good friend Rick Allen is in charge of all cinematography that takes place on the site and today he will be my underwater cameraman.
我的好朋友里克·艾伦负责现场的所有拍摄工作,今天他将成为我的水下摄影师。
Everyone sets up their gear and it's time shove off for the pirate adventures on the high seas!
每个人都准备好了装备,现在该去公海进行海盗冒险了!
As we head out under draw bridges making our way from the inlet to the open ocean, Wendy Welsh, the project director prepares for the day's work.
当我们在吊桥下从入口处驶入大洋的道路时,项目主管温迪·韦尔什正在部署当天的工作。
It's going to be a long day as the weather has been bad, and the team has lost a lot of time this week.
由于天气不太好,这一天会很漫长。小组人员在本周已经损失了很多时间。
So we have a lot of scuba tanks.
我们有很多氧气瓶。
Wendy talks with nautical archaeologist David Moore, whose research original helped pinpoint the location of the wreck.
温迪与航海考古学家大卫·摩尔交谈,摩尔的开创性研究帮助确定了沉船的位置。
If you can get it Rick, take it up!
瑞克,把它拿起来!
Soon we arrive at the wreck site, and the barge is anchored directly above it.
我们很快到达了失事地点,驳船就在它的正上方处抛锚。
Alright, it's been a while since we have been out here so we've got some work to do today so I hope you guys are ready to go.
我们来了一会儿了,今天还有一些工作要做,所以我希望你们都准备好了。
The way we left the site was, we have both of our big dredges, they are laying on seventy stake, which is what our double buoys are, and then we have our frames that are on the pile.
我们离开的方式是,我们有两艘大型挖泥船,它们都系在70根船桩上,我们的双浮标在那,还有围架。
What I want to do first is get two divers in and kind of do a site assessment, see what's going on…
我先要让两名潜水员进入,进行现场评估,看看情况。
The first team suits up to check on the wreck and visibility.
第一队穿上潜水衣去查看沉船和能见度。
The water is not known for clarity here in this shallow, sandy area.
在这个浅沙地区,海水并不清澈。
The archaeological team needs to be able to talk to each other underwater so they can get things done, so they're all wearing these full-face masks, which have communications gear in them.
考古队需要能够在水下互相交谈,才能完成任务。所以,他们都戴着全脸型面具,里面有通讯设备。
You can talk by pushing this button, and you can hear what other people are saying through this little earpiece.
你可以按这个按钮说话,通过这副小耳机听到别人的说话。
So I'm going to be wearing one too, I'll be able to talk to everybody, and hear what they're saying!
我也要戴上一个,这样可以和每个人说话,听听他们在说什么!

1.jpg

We'll get in, go to the bottom, get comfortable and follow the hoses down…

我们要进去了,到下面去,舒服点,顺着管子往下游…
Rick and I have a quick discussion about out dive plan and then it's time to see this wreck for myself.
我和瑞克很快地讨论了一下潜水计划,然后去亲眼看看这艘沉船。
Woo!
哇!
Ready?
准备好了吗?
Jonathan, Jonathan, this is topside for a comm check.
乔纳森,乔纳森,这是常规检查。
I hear ya loud and clear!
我能清楚地听到你的声音!
Copy that, thank you Jonathan.
收到,谢谢乔纳森。
The visibility on the bottom is terrible!
底部的能见度太差了!
I can barely see 4 feet!
我几乎看不清四英尺处的东西!
It's hard to describe how difficult it is to do the work in such bad conditions!
很难形容在这样恶劣的条件下,进行这项工作有多困难!
Eventually I find my way to one of the only landmarks on the wreck.
最终,我找到了通往沉船上一个地标的路线。
This is the north anchor, the largest anchor on Blackbeard's ship.
这是北侧的锚,黑胡子船上最大的锚。
It's about 13 feet long--that's as big as a car!
它大约有13英尺长,和汽车一样大!
Soon the crew fires up the pumps on what is essentially a big vacuum cleaner, called a dredge.
不久,船员们就点燃了挖泥船上一个很大的真空吸尘器。
Down on the bottom, this equipment is used to clear sections of the wreck by vacuuming up the sand the continually accumulates.
在底部,这个设备用来抽出不断积累的沙子,以清理沉船的一部分。
I'm using the vacuum to clear an area around an object, but I have no idea what the object is.
我用真空吸尘器清理物体周围的区域,但我不知道是什么物体。
What is this?
这是什么?
I'm not sure.
我不太确定。
It might be part of a cannon.
这可能是大炮的一部分。
To me, everything we uncover looks like a rock.
对我来说,我们发现的一切都像一块石头。
But to an expert, these concretions, as they are called, are treasure.
但对一位专家来说,这些固结物,被称为珍宝。
While most of the wood on a shipwreck is consumed by the sea; metal, glass and ceramics often survive.
虽然沉船上的大部分木材被海水侵蚀,但金属、玻璃和陶瓷却常常留存下来。
But hundreds of years of marine growth like barnacles and oysters add layer after layer of concretions on the artifacts.
藤壶和牡蛎等在海洋中数百年的生长,使这些固结物不断地一层层添加。
It takes an expert eye to identify artifacts in these rock-like concretions.
鉴定这些岩石状固结物中的文物需要具备专家的眼光。
Up on deck, the water and sand from the dredge go through a sluice where larger objects are sieved out, and heavier particles settle out.
在甲板上,来自挖泥船的水和沙通过一个水闸,在那里较大的物体被筛出,较重的颗粒沉淀下来。
There's all kind of good stuff in here that we'll go through later.
这里有各种各样的好东西,我们随后再看。
Down on the bottom, I know we're digging out something big.
在底部,我知道我们在挖掘一些大东西。
What are we digging out here, is this a cannon?
我们在挖什么,这是大炮吗?
This is an anchor.
这是一个锚。
There should be a cannon right next to it, a little deeper buried down.
旁边应该有一门大炮,埋得更深一点。
Wendy has joined us in the water and enlists my help to take some electrical readings.
温迪和我们一起下水,让我帮忙读取一些电学数据。
The cannons, which are made of iron, produce a tiny electrical current as they corrode.
大炮由铁制成,当它们腐蚀时会产生微小的电流。
Wendy wants to measure the voltage they are producing as a way of learning how fast the corrosion is taking place, and which cannons should be excavated first.
温迪想测量它们产生的电压,以此来了解腐蚀发生的速度,并确定应该先挖掘哪些大炮。
Our first step is to gently drill a hole through the marine growth on cannon to reach the metal.
第一步是轻轻地在大炮上钻个洞,穿过海洋生物到达金属。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
measure ['meʒə]

想一想再看

n. 措施,办法,量度,尺寸
v. 测量,量

联想记忆
survive [sə'vaiv]

想一想再看

vt. 比 ... 活得长,幸免于难,艰难度过

联想记忆
pirate ['paiərit]

想一想再看

n. 海盗,盗印者,侵犯专利权者
v. 侵犯版

联想记忆
dredge [dredʒ]

想一想再看

n. 挖泥机,捞网 v. 用挖泥机疏浚 v. 把粉撒在

联想记忆
visibility [.vizi'biliti]

想一想再看

n. 能见度

 
vessel ['vesl]

想一想再看

n. 容器,器皿,船,舰
n. 脉管,血

 
armada [a:'mɑ:də]

想一想再看

n. 舰队,机群,(车辆)编队

联想记忆
eventually [i'ventjuəli]

想一想再看

adv. 终于,最后

 
corrosion [kə'rəuʒən]

想一想再看

n. 侵蚀(腐蚀,锈)

联想记忆
essentially [i'senʃəli]

想一想再看

adv. 本质上,本来

 

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 海底沉船(上) 2019-11-22
  • 海底沉船(下) 2019-11-29
  • 黑胡子海盗的沉船(下) 2019-12-12
  • 玛雅的地下世界(1) 2019-12-19
  • 玛雅的地下世界(2) 2019-12-26
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。