手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 沃克斯独立观点 > 正文

有调料时你吃薯条吃得更多 为什么?

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

You know the feeling.

你肯定有过这种感觉。
You finish a full meal and are like… "I'm never eating again."
你吃完了一顿饭,感觉……“我再也不想吃饭了。”
But then, out comes a beautiful piece of cake.
然后,你的面前出现了一块漂亮的蛋糕。
And, well…."You said you were full!" "Not for dessert."
你……“你说你吃饱了!”“甜点不算啊。”
Turns out, you really can "make room" for dessert.
事实证明,你是能为甜点“腾出肚子的”。
And there's a scientific reason why.
这事儿还有科学依据。
The thing that gives you room for dessert is called "Sensory-Specific Satiety, Sati,Satiety?."
让你能为甜点腾出肚子的东西叫“特定感觉饱腹感,”是这么念的吧?”
"Satiety! It's one of those words."
“是饱腹感!这个词确实比较拗口。”
That's Dr.Barbara Rolls.
这位是芭芭拉·罗尔斯博士。
She's a nutritional scientist, and she's been studying Sensory-Specific Satiety since the '80s.
她是一名营养学家,自80年代以来,她一直在研究这种感觉。
"It's a really important, basic and very reproducible finding about human eating behavior."
“这种感觉其实是有关人类饮食行为非常重要、非常基本,可复制性也很好的一大发现。”
Dr.Rolls says it's why we often misunderstand that "full" feeling.
罗尔斯博士说,这种感觉就是为什么我们经常对“饱”这种感觉产生错觉的原因。
So, to see it in action, we ran an experiment similar to ones she's done before:
为了亲眼见证其实际效果,我们做了一个跟她曾经做过的非常类似的一个实验:
We gave six people a giant plate of mac and cheese.
我们给了六名受试者一大盘芝士通心粉。
"Wow. That is a lot of macaroni and cheese."
“哇喔。量可真够大的。”
And told them to eat until they were full.
让他们吃饱为止。
And then, for the second course, we gave them… more.
接下来第二道菜,我们还是上了芝士通心粉。
"Nooo!" "I'm not happy with this experiment."
“别这样!“我对这个实验不满意。”
Then, on a different day, we did it all over again.
随后,我们换了一天把这个实验又做了一遍。
Except this time, after they were full, we gave them ice cream.
只不过这次,在他们吃饱之后,我们给他们上了冰淇淋。
"Ice cream!" "Yes."
“冰淇淋!”“不错。”
On average, after they said they were full on mac and cheese,
在他们说吃通心粉已经吃饱以后,
each person could eat just one more ounce of it in their second serving.
平均每人还能再吃一盎司的通心粉。
"I got a solid two bites in."
“我又吃了两大口。”
But when we gave them ice cream instead, somehow they could eat three times as much.
但当我们第二道上的是吃冰淇淋的时候,不知怎么,他们能吃下三倍于通心粉的冰淇淋。
They "made room" for dessert.
他们真的为甜点“腾出了肚子”。
The experiment shows that when you feel full, it's not necessarily that your stomach is physically full.
这一实验表明,感觉饱的时候,并不一定真的是你的胃已经饱了。
It's more about how interested you are in eating more.
更多的是你对继续吃那种东西有多大兴趣。
"Sensory-specific satiety is that change in how much you like a food, how much you want to eat, as you're eating it."
“特定感觉饱腹感是指你在吃东西的时候,你对这种食物的喜爱程度的变化以及你还想吃的量的变化。”
And to really show that, we asked our participants to rate, on a scale of ten, their interest in mac and cheese before their first course.
为了证明这一点,我们让参与者在食用第一道菜之前先给他们对芝士通心粉的兴趣打个分,满分是10分。
"Probably like a six."
“大概6分吧。”
"Five."
“五分。”
"I love macaroni and cheese, so. 25."
“我很喜欢芝士通心粉,所以。我打25分。”
And after.
食用之后再打一次分。
"I can't eat anymore."
“我吃不下了。”
"Probably like a one."
“大概1分吧。”
"Yeah, zero."
“嗯,零分。”
They all started pretty interested in the mac and cheese.
一开始他们对芝士通心粉都很感兴趣。

84122713-french-fries-with-ketchup-served-on-parchment-paper.jpg

But after their first course, they were less interested.

但在吃完第一盘之后,他们就没那么感兴趣了。
Even less so after their second helping.
吃了第二份之后就更没兴趣了。
But we also asked them, throughout the experiment, to rate their interest in ice cream.
但在整个实验过程中,我们还让他们给自己对冰淇淋的兴趣打了分。
And even after getting full on mac and cheese, they stayed interested.
结果表明,即便是吃过了芝士通心粉,他们对冰淇淋依然很感兴趣。
The only thing that made them lose interest in ice cream, was having ice cream.
唯一让他们对冰淇淋失去兴趣的就是吃冰淇淋。
"I've just had enough of that food, I want something else, is really what Sensory-Specific Satiety is."
“这种食物我已经吃得够多了,我想吃点别的,这就是特定感觉饱腹感的要义。”
And that instinct has a purpose: It's meant to keep us healthy.
这种直觉其实是有目的的:为的是让我们保持健康。
"So it's a good thing.
所以这是一件好事。
We're omnivores and we need to eat a variety.
我们是杂食动物,我们需要吃不同种类的食物。
So it's going to help to guarantee that you're going to eat the variety of nutrients that you need."
这种感觉能保证我们对各种营养物质的需求都能得到满足。”
It also means that there are certain situations where it makes us extra susceptible to overeating.
但这也意味着某些情况下,这种本能会让我们非常容易暴饮暴食。
"It can backfire though of course, because if we are presented with a variety of foods, it encourages us to keep eating."
“当然,这种感觉也可能适得其反,因为如果我们面前摆着各种各样的食物,这种感觉就会鼓励我们继续吃。”
Ever eat too much at a buffet? Or on Thanksgiving? Yeah, me too.
自助餐吃太多?又或者感恩节吃太多?嗯,我也是。
That's because, when we have a lot of variety, we stay interested in eating for longer.
这是因为,当我们面前有很多种类的食物时,我们对吃的兴趣就会持续更长的时间。
"This change in the appeal of foods during a meal keeps us going, keeps us eating."
“就是我们进食时食物吸引力的这种变化让我们继续,让我们接着吃下去的。”
In another experiment, Dr. Rolls gave different four-course meals to two groups:
在另一项实验中,罗尔斯博士给两组受试者上了四道菜:
One where every course was the same food, and one where every course was very different.
一组上的是4道一模一样的菜,另一组每道菜都不一样。
The people with different foods ate 60% more.
上了不同菜的那一组受试者吃的量比另一组多出了60%。
Sensory-Specific Satiety is why you'll eat more french fries with condiments than without.
特定感觉饱腹感就是你有调料时吃薯条吃得更多的原因。
Why you'll eat more ice cream if you get multiple flavors than just one.
吃多种口味的冰淇淋比吃同一种冰淇淋吃得更多的原因,
It's also why kids will eat more veggies if they can eat a variety of them together, than if they only have one option.
也是孩子们有多种蔬菜可吃的时候比只有一种蔬菜可吃的时候吃的蔬菜更多的原因。
"That's interesting. And it only took me eating a ridiculous amount of mac and cheese to learn it."
“这个实验还挺有意思的。我只吃了一大盘芝士通心粉就明白这里面的道理了。”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
multiple ['mʌltipl]

想一想再看

adj. 许多,多种多样的
n. 倍数,并联

联想记忆
instinct ['instiŋkt]

想一想再看

adj. 充满的
n. 本能,天性,直觉

联想记忆
scale [skeil]

想一想再看

n. 鳞,刻度,衡量,数值范围
v. 依比例决

 
variety [və'raiəti]

想一想再看

n. 多样,种类,杂耍

 
appeal [ə'pi:l]

想一想再看

n. 恳求,上诉,吸引力
n. 诉诸裁决

联想记忆
option ['ɔpʃən]

想一想再看

n. 选择权,可选物,优先购买权
v. 给予选

联想记忆
certain ['sə:tn]

想一想再看

adj. 确定的,必然的,特定的
pron.

 
except [ik'sept]

想一想再看

vt. 除,除外
prep. & conj.

联想记忆
guarantee [.gærən'ti:]

想一想再看

n. 保证,保证书,担保,担保人,抵押品
vt

 
susceptible [sə'septəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 易受外界影响的,易受感染的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。