手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 沃克斯独立观点 > 正文

美妆文化给我们带来的伤害(4)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

"It is Alex. A-L-E-X. Clark. Uh-huh."

“亚历克斯。A-L-E-X。克拉克。嗯。”

"What does this headline mean? Work it. Don't fake it.

"这个标语是什么意思?做就来真的,别装了。

Just, like, a natural approach to, you know, making your face look the best that it can be."

差不多就是采用天然的护肤方法,让你的脸呈现出最佳状态。”

"As opposed to makeup?"

“不靠化妆?”

"Makeup, Botox filler.

“不靠化妆,也不靠肉毒素。

I mean, a lot of people that come here do get both. So you wanna get started?"

我的意思是,很多来我们店的人也会做那些啦。我们可以开始了吗?”

"Yeah." "Perfect."

“可以。”“好的。”

"Going to the gym."

“健身房走起。”

"So whatever you do, go really intense."

“所以你不管是上什么,力道都用得比较大哈。”

"Oh, cardio. Ooh."

“啊,有氧运动。哇。”

"Do you get facials or anything done to your face often?"

“你用护肤产品或有经常做保养吗?”

"No. I never have." "No?"

“没有,从来不做。”“是嘛。”

"This is one of those Botox places that are popping up all over cities like New York.

“最近一段时间,各大城市突然开了很多家这种打肉毒素的店,纽约也是。

And, actually, the use of Botox has increased over 800% since 2000." "Really?"

事实上,2000年以来,肉毒素的用量已经上涨了7倍以上。”“真的吗?”

"And the use of fillers has increased over 300%.

“软体填充物的使用也增加了2倍不止。

It doesn't seem like we can build a society that expects women to be young and beautiful above all else,

好像我们就没法构建一个视年轻漂亮为女性最重要的特质的社会,

then flood society with products that promise just that, and then judge them for buying them? Like, no. XXXX that."

又让这个社会充满各种许诺能让女性变得年轻漂亮的产品,然后又拿她们买这些产品的行为来批判她们。就……不行。”

"92% of cosmetic procedures are performed on women.

“92%的整容手术都是女性做的。

It's the inequality between what women are expected to do and what men are expected to do that really makes me angry."

人们对女性的期望和对女性的期望之间的不平等真的让我觉得很气愤。”

"Oh, wow. I'm so tense right now.

“哇,我现在觉得自己的脸好紧致啊。

Oh, that's so weird down there.

滚到下面的时候感觉怪怪的。

Oh, that's too much. That is too much.

太过了。过了。

I just have no sense of perspective on the kind of painful beauty treatments that women do all the time."

“我对女性经常做的那种过程很痛苦的美容真的就是无感。”

"Around 15, you realize that beauty is pain."

“15岁左右的时候,你就会发现美是要付出痛苦的代价的。”

"Ooh!"

“啊!”

"Can I take this off?" "Yeah."

“我可以拿下来了吗?”“可以了。”

"You guys done? So?"

“你们好了吗?怎么样?”

"We're done. How do we look? Do I feel moist?" "Oh, so moist."

“好了?效果怎么样?皮肤有没有很润?”“哇,非常润。”

"So moist?" "I liked it a lot."

“很润是吧?”“我还挺喜欢的。”

"Now what is that supposed to do?" "Make you beautiful?"

“那个是干嘛的?”“让你们变漂亮?”

"As beauty standards become more open and welcoming, it's great.

“因为漂亮的标准已经越来越开放越来越友好了,这点还挺好的。

It's an amazing thing.

很棒。

But it also is still true that beauty is still the point at which we are judging people.

但同时,漂亮依然是我们评判他人的点。

Like, it is still the metric of value."

依然是一个价值标尺。”

"Beauty culture is so much more interesting and approachable and diverse than it's ever been before."

“追求漂亮的风潮现在比以往任何时候都更意思,都更容易接近,也更多元了。”

"And that is wonderful.

“这一点是非常棒的。

2

But maybe it can make it seem like we've made more progress than we have."

但或许正是因为这样,才会让我们误以为我们真的已经取得了很大的进展。”

"I think we're beginning to see some changes,

“在我看来,我们已经能看到一些改善了,

but our definitions of beauty are connected to other systems of power in our society and culture.

但我们对漂亮的定义和我们所在的社会和文化环境下的其他权力体系是相关的。

So they're connected to ideas about class, to ideas about what race is.

和有关阶级的观念,有关种族的观念都是相关的。

It really will take the dismantling of systems of power for beauty to be truly democratized."

要真的实现美的民主化,我们就要革除这些权力体系。

"I would love to see our representations of beauty diversified.

“我很乐意看到美的表现形式变得多样化。

But what I would love to see even more than that is just less concern with how beautiful women are, period."

但我更渴望看到的是大家不再那么关心某个女性有多漂亮。”

"And I think that we need to start complimenting women less on, 'Oh, I love the way your hair looks today,'

“我觉得我们应该开始减少用类似‘哇,我好喜欢你今天的发型呀,’这样的话来赞美女性,

and more like, 'Oh, I love what you said in that meeting.'

应该更多的用‘哇,我很喜欢你今天在会上的发言。’这样的话来赞美女性。

And just focusing more on what we have to offer aside from the way we look."

就别那么关注我们的外在,不妨更多地关注我们肚子里的货。”

"I'm all for positive self statements.

“我完全赞成正面的自我陈述。

But I'd much rather hear those statements address other parts of who women are.

但我更愿意听介绍女性身上的其他特质的自我陈述。

Parts that you don't have to see in a mirror."

那些镜子里看不到的特质。

"What words would you most want people to use when they describe you?"

“你最希望他人用什么词来形容你?”

"Kind. I really, really hope that I would be described as kind."

“善良,我真的,真的希望被形容成一个善良的人。”

"Resourceful, resilient." "Determined." "Creative."

“足智多谋,坚韧不拔。”“坚定。”“有创造力。”

"Curious and skeptical."

“好奇,有怀疑精神。”

"Charming."

“可爱。”

"Free. I want them to say she's free. And I wanna hear those things now, y'all."

“自由,我希望大家说她是自由的。我现在就希望你们这么形容我。”

"So maybe the goal isn't to change how we talk about beauty. Maybe it's to talk about beauty less."

“所以,或许,我们要做到的并不是改变我们讨论漂亮的方式。而是减少讨论漂亮这个话题。”

"Thanks for watching.

“感谢大家的收看。

If you're looking for more episodes of 'Glad You Asked,' you can find them right there.

如果想查看‘很高兴你问了’系列的更多剧集,可以点击这里查看。

And if you want more amazing learning content from YouTube, you can find it right there.

如果想从YouTube上获得更多精彩的学习内容,你可以在这里找到。

Glad You Asked, YouTube Learning."

YouTube学习板块,‘很高兴你问了’系列,感谢大家的收看。”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
address [ə'dres]

想一想再看

n. 住址,致词,讲话,谈吐,(处理问题的)技巧

 
diverse [dai'və:s]

想一想再看

adj. 不同的,多种多样的

联想记忆
perspective [pə'spektiv]

想一想再看

n. 远景,看法,透视
adj. 透视的

联想记忆
inequality [.ini'kwɔliti]

想一想再看

n. 不平等,不平均,差异,多变性,不等式

 
curious ['kjuəriəs]

想一想再看

adj. 好奇的,奇特的

联想记忆
creative [kri'eitiv]

想一想再看

adj. 创造性的

联想记忆
intense [in'tens]

想一想再看

adj. 强烈的,剧烈的,热烈的

联想记忆
moist [mɔist]

想一想再看

adj. 潮湿的,湿润的
(果物)多汁的

 
skeptical ['skeptikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 怀疑的

联想记忆
approach [ə'prəutʃ]

想一想再看

n. 接近; 途径,方法
v. 靠近,接近,动

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。