手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 沃克斯独立观点 > 正文

拳坛之外的拳王阿里更值得被铭记(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

"So are there times when you miss being heavyweight champ of the world?"

“你有没有怀念过成为重量级世界冠军后的那段岁月?”

"No, they miss me."

“没有,是他们在怀念我。”

"I know that."

“这个我知道。”

"You know I don’t miss it. I’m not gonna missing it."

“我并不怀念那段时光,以后也不会。”

He won that case.

他赢了那场官司。

And when he returned to boxing, he didn't stop shaking things up.

再次回到拳击界,他并没有停止震撼世界的脚步。

"The Vietcong are not all bad, but America are still dropping bombs.

“越共成员并不都是坏人,美国还是朝他们丢炸弹了。

In Hiroshima, Japan wasn’t bad, but she still dropped the bomb.

日本人并不坏,美国也还是给广岛丢炸弹了呀。

In Korea, they wasn’t bad, but they still dropped the bomb.

朝鲜人不坏,也没有影响他们往朝鲜丢炸弹啊。

So now I’m going to forget the 400 years of lynching and killing and raping and depriving my people of freedom and justice and equality,

呵,400年来他们(白人)是怎么私刑、杀戮、强奸我的同胞的?是怎么剥夺我们的自由、正义和平等的?

the first fired, the last hired, the lowest of low, last respected,

炒鱿鱼的时候第一个想到我们,雇工的时候最后一个才想起我们,把我们当下等人中的下等人,他们最不尊重的就是我们,现在,要让我把这些都忘了,

and I’m going to look at the two or three white people who are trying to do right and forget the million who are trying to kill me?

忘了那一大群企图要我命的人,只把那两三个试图做正确的事的人看在眼里?

He used these media appearances over and over to try to promote trying to live a moral life.

他一次又一次利用这些在媒体上露面的机会,宣传大家应该在生活中努力坚守道德这样一种理念。

"As you know in this country, a black athlete or entertainer has a lot of influence.

“你也知道,在这个国家,黑人运动员或黑人艺人还挺有影响力的。

Some of them promote business, some of them make movies.

他们一部分人选择了下海,一部分人选择了拍电影。

I’d like to do all I can to uplift the people morally, and spiritually as far as loving ourselves, sticking together and helping ourselves.

我想尽我所能提升民众的精神层次和道德层次,让他们学会在指望别人帮助他们,

Before uh, expecting others to help them, to respect them when they don’t respect themselves."

指望别人在他们自己都不尊重自己的时候还能尊重他们之前爱自己,学会团结,学会自助。”

"Well having known you for as long as I do,

“鉴于这些年我对你的了解,

I don’t know anybody who’s better qualified to do that than you, and I know you mean it."

我不知道还有谁比你更有资格做这件事,而且我知道你是认真的。

After he retired, he even saved a man from jumping to his death in 1981.

退休后,他甚至还在1981年挽救了一名企图跳楼自杀的男子的姓名。

"The former heavyweight champion went to a window and reportedly yelled 'I’m your brother. I want to help you.'

“据报道,这位前重量级冠军走到窗户前大喊“哥们儿,我想帮你。”

Recognizing Ali, the man finally opened the fire escape door and Ali approached him on the ledge."

认出了阿里,那名男子终于打开了消防逃生门,阿里就沿着窗台走过去把他救了回来。”

He helped negotiate the release of 14 hostages in Iraq.

此外,他还帮助谈判让14名伊拉克人质得以被释放。

He stood with Nelson Mandela against apartheid.

与纳尔逊·曼德拉一道反对种族隔离。

He delivered medical supplies and food to kids all over the world.

把医疗用品和食物送到世界各地的孩子们手中。

And though his genetic disease, parkinson’s, cruelly impaired his function, that never stopped his ability to inspire billions.

尽管他遗传了帕金森,被残忍地剥夺了健康,却依然没有停止鼓舞无数人的脚步。

Three billion people watched this in 1996.

1996年,30亿人见证了这一幕。

And in one of his final public appearances,

即便是生前最后几次公开露面,

he spoke out about Islam after the devastating attacks of September 11th, even though he could barely speak.

他也在“9·11"给外界造成毁灭性打击后就伊斯兰教发表了自己的看法,尽管当时他连说话都已经十分困难了。

"I’m a Muslim. I’ve been a Muslim for 20 years.

我是穆斯林。我加入穆斯林已经有20年了。

And I’m against killing, violence.

我反对杀戮和暴力。

And all Muslims are against it.

其实不止我,所有的穆斯林都是这样。

1

I think the people should know the real truth about Islam.

我觉得大家有必要知道伊斯兰教的真正真相。

You know me, I’m a boxer.

你们都知道,我是个拳击手。

I’m called the Greatest of All Time.

我被称为有史以来最伟大的拳击手。

People recognize me for being a boxer and a man of truth.

大家公认我是一名拳击手,同时也是一个诚实的人。

And I wouldn’t be here representing Islam if it was really like the terrorist makes it look.

如果伊斯兰教真的像恐怖分子塑造的那样,我也不会在这里代表伊斯兰教说话了。

I think that all the people should know the truth and come to recognize the truth

我认为所有的人都有必要了解真相,认清真相。

because Islam is peace and against killing, murder, and the terrorist that do it in the name of islam.

真正的伊斯兰教是一个追求和平,一个反对杀戮、反对谋杀,反对那些以伊斯兰教名义散播恐怖的恐怖分子的宗教。

And If I had the chance, I’d do something about it."

如果有机会,我不会袖手旁观的。”

And last winter, when he could no longer speak,

去年冬天他已经完全说不了话了,

he wrote a statement against comments from Donald Trump

但他还写了一份声明,反对唐纳德·特朗普

that lumped the actions of a few murderers in Paris and San Bernadino with 1.5 Billion muslims around the world.

将巴黎和圣伯纳迪诺的几名谋杀犯的行为与世界各地的15亿穆斯林相提并论的言论。

He said, "Speaking as someone who has never been accused of political correctness,

他说,"作为一个从未被指责过政治正确的人,

I believe that our political leaders should use their position to bring understanding about the religion of Islam

我认为,我们的政治领导人应该利用他们的地位推动外界对伊斯兰教的理解,

and clarify that these misguided murderers have perverted people's views on what Islam really is."

澄清这些误入歧途的杀人犯歪曲了人们对伊斯兰教真面目的看法。”

Ali was a fighter, but I don’t think his muscles are really the part we care about.

阿里是一名拳击手,但在我看来,我们真正关心的并不是他的肌肉。

And it’s not what he cared about either.

他本人也一样。

"Boxing was just my way of introducing me to the struggle.

“拳击只是我个人了解斗争的一种方式。

But my main fight is for freedom and equality.

我主要的斗争目标是自由和平等。

Money don’t really mean nothing because I proved that when I gave up the title not knowing if I’m coming back or not for four years.

钱并不能代表一切,我自己就是现眼,放弃拳王头衔的时候我并不知道将来我还会重回拳坛,至少那四年是不知道的。

So these gloves he wore represent a lot more than physical punching.

所以,他戴的这副手套代表的不仅仅是拳打脚踢。

And a pair of his have been in the President’s private offices the past 8 years.

过去的8年里,总统的私人办公室里一直收藏着一副阿里的拳击手套。

"For this fight, I’ve wrestled with alligators. I’ve tussled with a whale.

为了这场斗争,我和鳄鱼摔过跤。和鲸鱼缠斗过。

I done handcuffed lightning and put thunder in jail. You know I’m bad.

我给闪电戴上了手铐,将雷霆关进了监狱。我可不好惹。

I murdered a rock, I injured a stone, and I hospitalized a brick.

我杀了一块石头,弄伤了一块石头,还把一块砖头送进了医院。

I’m so bad, I make medicine sick.

我有多不好惹?药见了我都得落下病。

I’m so fast, man, I can run through a hurricane and don’t get wet.

我跑起来有多快,哼,台风都休想追上我沾湿我的衣服。

When George Foreman meets me, he’ll pay his debt.

(拳坛另一位传奇)乔治·福尔曼见到我都得乖乖的。

I can drown and drink of water and kill a dead tree.

我能把水给淹死,把树给K.O.了。

Wait till you see Muhammad Ali."

这就是我穆罕默德·阿里的本事。”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
lightning ['laitniŋ]

想一想再看

n. 闪电
adj. 闪电般的,快速的

 
inspire [in'spair]

想一想再看

vt. 影响,使 ... 感动,激发,煽动
v

联想记忆
function ['fʌŋkʃən]

想一想再看

n. 功能,函数,职务,重大聚会
vi. 运行

 
respected [ri'spektid]

想一想再看

adj. 受尊敬的 v. 尊敬;重视(respect的过

 
recognize ['rekəgnaiz]

想一想再看

vt. 认出,认可,承认,意识到,表示感激

 
devastating ['devəsteitiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 毁灭性的,令人震惊的,强有力的

 
clarify ['klærifai]

想一想再看

vt. 澄清,阐明,使 ... 明晰

联想记忆
jail [dʒeil]

想一想再看

n. 监牢,监狱,拘留所
vt. 监禁,下狱

 
promote [prə'məut]

想一想再看

vt. 促进,提升,升迁; 发起; 促销

联想记忆
spoke [spəuk]

想一想再看

v. 说,说话,演说

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。