手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 畅游海底世界 > 正文

濒危海龟救助行动(下)

来源:可可英语 编辑:sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

This is the guy.

就是这个家伙。
First the sea turtles are transported back to the Mass Audubon Society Wellfleet office.
海龟先被运回马萨诸塞州奥杜邦协会的船队办公室。
Biologist Rebecca Shoer and some volunteers are doing triage.
生物学家丽贝卡?肖尔和一些志愿者正在进行分类。
So the different types of measurements that Colin is doing, the first one is a straight measurement with a caliper—that gives you an idea of the straight length of a turtle's shell, its width, things like that.
科林正在做不同类型的测量,第一项是用卡尺直接测量龟壳的长度、宽度,诸如此类。
Then we do a curved measurement with that soft tape and that gives us an idea of the shape of the turtle's shell.
然后我们用那软胶带做了一个弯曲的测量,这给了我们一个龟壳形状的概念。
And then we're doing the weight, which is 2.4—and that's in kilograms.
然后计算重量,是2.4,单位是千克。
The last thing we do before we take photos is that we make any notes of any medical issues with this turtle.
在拍照之前,我们做的最后一件事是记录下这只海龟的任何医疗问题。
And you can see on this one, it's got—it's bleeding from this eye here.
你可以看这只,这只眼睛在流血。
Don't know if that was a bird that pecked it or something like that.
不知道是不是鸟啄到它,或发生了其他什么事情。
So we'll make a note of that for the aquarium, but this guy's alive and not looking great, but this is actually not a turtle in terrible shape.
所以我们要为水族馆做下记录,但这家伙还活着,看起来不太好,但实际上这只海龟的状态并不糟糕。
Soon the turtles are packed up for a 90 minute ride in their banana boxes up to the New England Aquarium's Animal Care Center in Quincy, just south of Boston.
很快,志愿者就把海龟们打理好,装在香蕉箱里,经历90分钟的路程,到达波士顿南部昆西新英格兰水族馆动物护理中心。
In this nondescript warehouse, with a staff of five and a dozen volunteers, hundreds of sea turtles are being rehabilitated.
在这个不起眼的仓库里,有五六名志愿者和数百只正在康复的海龟。
Hey!
嘿!
Hi Katie!
嗨,凯蒂!
How are you?
你好吗?
I'm doing well, how are you?
我很好,你呢?
Great!
太好了!
Thanks for having me down!
谢谢你邀请我过来!
Thanks for coming over!
谢谢你的到来!
I arrive and meet Katie Pugliares, a senior biologist at the New England Aquarium.
我来到这里,见到了新英格兰水族馆的高级生物学家凯蒂?普格利亚斯。
She takes me on a tour of the facility and I get to meet a bunch of sea turtles.
她带我参观了这座水族馆,我见到了一群海龟。
The rescued turtles are divided into different tanks based on size, species and even temperature.
获救的海龟根据大小、种类和体温被放入不同的水箱。
The turtles can't be warmed right up from being hypothermic.
海龟体温过低时,无法马上暖和起来。
That could actually make them even more sick.
这实际上会让它们的状况变得更糟糕。
They have to be warmed up very slowly.
它们必须慢慢地回暖。
As they warm up, they get more active and lively.
当它们体温暖和时,就会变得更活泼。
I wonder if they know how lucky they are to be alive?
我想知道它们是否知道活着有多幸运?

1.jpg

Once they are back up to temperature, they're hungry.

一旦体温恢复后,它们就感到饿了。
And sometimes feisty!
有时它们还精力充沛的!
We systematically go through, we monitor their weight, make sure they have healthy weight gain.
我们系统地检查,监测它们的体重,确保它们的体重增加是健康的。
If any turtles start losing weight, it's a sign that we need to look a little more closely.
如果有的海龟体重下降了,这表明我们需要更仔细地对它们进行观察。
We look for any ulcerations in their eyes, obstructions in their nose, we look in their mouths as well.
我们在它们的眼睛里寻找溃疡,在鼻子里寻找各种阻塞,也查找嘴部。
And then we check their flippers.
然后我们检查它们的脚蹼。
Sometimes infections will progress into their joints and that's not really a good thing.
有时感染会发展到关节里,这可不是一件好事。
For turtles that have prolonged swelling of their joints and even after antibiotic treatment, they are not going away, we do laser therapy.
对于关节肿胀时间过长的海龟,甚至在抗生素治疗后,肿胀也不会消失,我们会进行激光治疗。
And it takes care of those unsightly wrinkles too!
它也能处理那些难看的皱纹!
Katie takes me into one of the clinics where a new patient is being checked out—a small Kemp's Ridley.
凯蒂带我去了一家诊所,那的人正在为一个新病人做检查——一只肯普的小雷德利海龟。
We're doing a tracheal wash so we can get some of the debris from the upper respiratory, and we'll send it out for culture and identify the bacteria.
我们正在做一次气管清洗,这样我们就能从上呼吸道获取一些碎屑,然后我们会把这些碎屑送去培养,并对细菌进行鉴定。
And then because he does have different sedation drugs, we'll monitor him for a little while and make sure his heart rate gets back up to where it should be before we introduce him back into the pool.
因为它确实接受了不同的镇静剂,我们会对它进行一段时间的监测,确保在我们把它放回水箱之前,它的心率恢复到应有的水平。
And then we'll watch him when he gets back into the pool and make sure he responds really well.
随后,我们会看着他回到水箱,确保它反应良好。
As the stranding season goes on, the rehab pools get full.
随着搁浅季节的延续,康复池会装满海龟。
The sea turtles have to be numbered to keep track of them all.
必须对海龟进行编号,以便记录所有的踪迹。
There are hundreds of them!
这有几百只海龟!
Soon, there are so many that crowding can be a problem.
很快,就会有很多只,拥挤将成为一个问题。
So the healthiest ones are ready to go back to the wild.
所以,那些最健康的海龟已经准备好回到野外了。
Unfortunately, it's still winter in Boston, so a small group of lucky turtles get their own private flight (with a volunteer pilot) down to Orlando, Florida.
不幸的是,波士顿现在依然是冬天,所以一小群幸运的海龟有了自己的私人飞机(拥有一名志愿飞行员)飞往佛罗里达州的奥兰多。
Here, Sea World will take over.
在这里,海洋世界将接管一切。
The turtles get a check up, then a few days to rest and recover from their flight.
海龟们做了检查,然后休息几天,从飞行中恢复过来。
Finally, it's off to a beautiful Florida beach.
最后,它们前往美丽的佛罗里达海滩。
The turtles are released into nice warm water, and given a second chance at life.
海龟们被释放到温暖的水中,获得了第二次生命的机会。
Saving cold-stunned sea turtles takes incredible time, money and effort.
拯救受寒受惊的海龟要花费的时间、金钱和努力,令人难以置信。
It would be staggering to add up the cost involved to save each one of these marine reptiles.
如果把拯救每一种海洋爬行动物所需的费用加起来,那将是惊人的。
But when I see this effort, I have renewed faith in humanity.
但当我看到这一努力时,我重新对人类充满信心。
People do care about wildlife, and in the case of highly endangered animals like the Kemp's Ridley sea turtle, every rescue counts.
人们确实关心野生动物,对于像坎普的雷德利海龟这样高度濒危的动物来说,每一次救援都非常重要。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
lively ['laivli]

想一想再看

活泼的,活跃的,栩栩如生的,真实的

联想记忆
track [træk]

想一想再看

n. 小路,跑道,踪迹,轨道,乐曲
v. 跟踪

 
rescue ['reskju:]

想一想再看

vt. 营救,援救
n. 营救,救援

联想记忆
temperature ['tempritʃə(r)]

想一想再看

n. 温度,气温,体温,发烧

 
antibiotic [.æntibai'ɔtik]

想一想再看

adj. 抗菌的 n. 抗生素

联想记忆
turtle ['tə:tl]

想一想再看

n. 海龟

联想记忆
laser ['leizə]

想一想再看

n. 激光,镭射

 
shell [ʃel]

想一想再看

n. 壳,外壳
v. 去壳,脱落,拾贝壳

 
respiratory [ri'spirətəri]

想一想再看

adj. 呼吸的,与呼吸有关的

 
identify [ai'dentifai]

想一想再看

vt. 识别,认明,鉴定
vi. 认同,感同身

 

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 阿巴科神秘的水晶洞穴(下) 2020-04-01
  • 濒危海龟救助行动(上) 2020-04-15
  • 鲨鱼放松法(上) 2020-04-23
  • 鲨鱼放松法(下) 2020-04-24
  • 佛罗里达州淤泥潜水(上) 2020-04-29
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。