手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

协作型领导力指南

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

It was a fantastic new pink suit with big buttons and shoulder pads.

我穿着崭新靓丽的粉红套装,上面有大大的纽扣和垫肩。
It was 1997, and I was the new boss of Griffin's Foods, an iconic cookie and snacks company in New Zealand.
那是1997年,我刚成为Griffin's Foods的新领导,这是新西兰的一家饼干零食龙头企业。
It was my first time as the leader of a company, and I was on the stage to give a big speech about our ambitious new goals.
那是我第一次担任一家公司的领导,记得当时我站在台上发言,介绍着我们野心勃勃的新目标。
I knew exactly what my call to action was, which was "One in every four times a Kiwi eats a snack, it will be one of ours."
我非常清楚我的行动纲领是什么,那就是“新西兰人所吃的饼干中,每四块就有一块将会是我们家的。”
I emphasized that we knew how to measure our results and that our future was in our control.
我强调说我们知道如何衡量我们的结果,未来就在我们手中。
Embarrassingly enough, I finished up with "If not this, what? If not us, who? And if not now, when?"
最尴尬的还在后头,我是这样结尾的“不然呢?舍我其谁?更待何时?”
I got this huge round of applause and I was really, really pleased with myself.
随之我收获了阵阵掌声,我对自己感到特别特别满意。
I wanted so much to be a good leader. I wanted to be followed by a devoted team, I wanted to be right.
我太想成为一个好领导了。我太想拥有一支忠诚的团队了,我希望自己所做的一切都是正确的。
In short, I wanted to be a hero. A hero selling chips and biscuits in a pink suit.
总而言之,我想成为一个英雄。穿着粉红套装卖薯片和饼干的英雄。
What happened after that speech? Nothing.
演讲之后发生什么了呢?什么都没发生。
All of that applause did not lead to action. Nothing changed.
那些掌声都没有转化成行动。没有任何改变。
Not because they didn't like me or the message. The problem was that no one knew what they were expected to do.
并不是因为他们不喜欢我或者我所传递的信息。问题在于没有人知道他们应该做什么。
And most importantly, they didn't know that I needed them.
最重要的是,他们并不知道我需要他们。
Now, you may think that this is a classic hero speech, where I'm going to tell you that I overcame that obstacle and triumphed.
听完你可能觉得这可真是个典型的英雄故事,我马上就要告诉你们,我克服了重重困难并取得了成功。
Actually, I'm going to tell you that in a world as complex and interconnected as the one we live in,
实话说,接下来我要说的是,在我们所生活的这样一个复杂又相互关联的世界里,
the idea that one person has the answer is ludicrous.
“会有一个无所不能的人”这样的想法很不靠谱。
It's not only ineffective, it's dangerous, because it leads us to believe that it's been solved by that hero, and we have no role.
没用且不说,而且很危险,因为它让我们相信问题都被英雄解决了,没有我们什么事了。
We don't need heroes. We need radical interdependence, which is just another way of saying we need each other.
我们需要的不是英雄。我们需要的是完全的共同依存,换言之,也就是我们需要彼此。
Even though other people can be really difficult, sometimes.
哪怕有时候有些人非常难相处。
I spent decades trying to work out how to be a good leader. I've lived in seven countries and five continents.
我花了数十年尝试着找到成为一个好领导的方法。我曾经在五大洲、七个国家生活过。
And in recent years, I've spent a lot of time with the B Corp community,
最近几年,我在B Corp(共益企业)社群上倾注了很多精力,
originally as a corporate participant and more recently as an ambassador.
一开始只是作为企业参与者,而最近已经成为了大使。
Now, B Corps are a group of companies who believe in business as a force for good.
现在很多公司成为了B Corp的一员,他们相信商业是一种向善的力量。
There's a tough certification with about 250 questions about your social and environmental performance.
B Corp有一个严格的认证程序,一共250道问题,关于你的社会及环境表现。
You must legally declare your intention to serve the community as well as your shareholders
你必须合法地表明你愿意服务社群及利益相关者,
and you must sign the declaration of interdependence.
你还得签订共同依存声明。
Now one of the things that inspires me the most about the companies in this movement
参与这个运动的企业最让我茅塞顿开的是,
is that they see themselves as part of a whole system.
他们把自己看作整个系统的一部分。
It's sort of as if they imagine themselves on a big, flowing river of activity,
就像是他们想象自己漂浮在一条名为商业活动的宽广的河流上,
where, if they are, for example, soft drinks manufacturers,
在这条河流上,假设他们是饮料制造商,
they understand that upstream from them, there's water and sugar, and farmers that grow that sugar, and plastic and metal and glass,
他们知道他们的上游有水和糖的制造商,种植糖的农民,塑料、金属和玻璃制造商,
all of which flows into this thing that we call a company which has financial results.
这一切都汇聚到一个我们称之为“企业”的追求业绩的地方。
And the flowing continues with consequences.
这一流程包含着各种各样后果。
Some of them intended, like refreshment and hydration, and some unintended, like garbage and obesity.
有意为之的有提神和补水产品,无意为之的有垃圾和肥胖。
Spending time with leaders in this space has led me to see that true collaboration is possible, but it's subtle and it's complex.
在这个空间与不同的领导者在一起让我看到了真正协作的可能性,但是这很微妙,很复杂。
And the leaders in this space are doing a few things very differently from traditional heroic leaders.
这里的领导者们对于某些事情的做法与传统的英雄型领导者截然不同。
They set goals differently, they announce those goals differently and they have a very different relationship with other people.
他们制定目标的方式不同,宣告目标的方式不同,与他人的关系也很不一样。
Let's begin with the first difference. A hero sets a goal that can be individually delivered and neatly measured.
我们先来谈谈第一个不同点。英雄设定一个大家能独自完成的目标,且能被很好地测量。
You can recognize a heroic goal -- they use terms like "revenue" and "market share" and are often competitive.
一个英雄型目标很好辨认--他们用诸如“收益”和“市场份额”这样的术语,而且往往有竞争含义。
I mean, remember pink-suit day? Interdependent leaders, on the other hand, start with a goal that's really important,
还记得刚提到的粉红套装那天吧?共同依存型领导者则不然,他们设定一个很重要的目标,
but is actually impossible to achieve by one company or one person alone.
但是那确实不是一个公司或一个人就能完成的。
I want to give you an example from the clothing industry, which produces 92 million tons of waste a year.
接下来我举一个服装行业的例子,这个行业每年产生9200万吨废料。
Patagonia and Eileen Fisher are clothing manufacturers, both of them B Corps, both of them deeply committed to reducing waste.
Patagonia和Eileen Fisher是服装制造商,都是B Corp的成员,也都致力于减少废料。
They don't see that their responsibility ends when a customer buys their clothes.
他们觉得自己的责任并不止于消费者购买他们的衣服,
Patagonia encourages you not to buy new clothes from them, and will repair your old clothes for free.
Patagonia鼓励人们不要从他们那里购买新衣服,而是采用他们提供的修补衣服的免费服务。
Eileen Fisher will pay you when you bring back your clothes, and either sell them on or turn them into other clothes.
Eileen Fisher会出钱回购你的旧衣服,然后把你的旧衣服卖出去或者改造成其他衣服。
While these two companies are competitive in some ways,
尽管这两家公司在某些方面存在着竞争关系,
they work together and with others in the industry to solve shared problems.
他们却能联手,跟业内的企业合作来解决一个共同面临的问题。
They take responsibility for things that happen upstream as well.
同时他们也对发生在上游的事情负责。
Around the world, there are around 300 million people who work from home in this industry, most of them women,
在全世界范围内,大概3亿人在家从事这个行业,绝大部分是女性,
many of them in very difficult circumstances with poor lighting, sewing on buttons and doing detailed stitching.
很多人的生存条件堪忧,只能在采光很差的条件下进行缝纽扣等细致的缝补操作。
Until 2014, there was no protection for these workers.
直到2014年之前,这些工人都得不到保障。
A group of companies got together with a not-for-profit called Nest
一帮企业和一个叫Nest的非盈利机构联手
to create a set of standards that's now been adopted by the whole industry.
设立了一系列标准,现在已经被整个行业采用了。
Once you've seen problems like this, you can't unsee them, so you have to ask others to help you to solve them.
一旦你看见了这样的问题,你就无法视若罔闻,你得邀请其他人协助你解决。
These folks take interdependence as a given, and said to me, "We don't compete on human rights."
这些人把共同依存看作一种理所当然,他们跟我说:“我们不会在人权问题上竞争。”
The second big difference for collaborators is their willingness to declare their goals before they have a plan.
对于协作者来说,第二大不同点是他们愿意在有计划之前谈目标。
Now the hero only reveals their carefully crafted goal when the path to achieve it is clear.
而英雄只会在当前道路已经清晰的情况下披露谨慎设立的目标。
In fact, the role of the hero announcement is to set the stage for the big win.
事实上,英雄型公告的作用就是为了给凯旋设立一个舞台。
Hero announcements are full of triumph. Interdependent leaders, on the other hand, want other people to help them,
英雄型公告洋溢着胜利。相反,共同依存的领导者希望其他人去帮助他们,
so their announcements are often an invitation for co-creation, and sometimes, they're a call for help.
所以他们的公告往往是对共创的邀请,有时候,还是对支援的请求。

协作型领导力指南

At the North American division of the French food company Danone, I announced that we wanted to become a B Corp.

在法国食品公司达能的北美分部,我宣布说我们希望成为一个共益企业。
And unlike pink-suit day, I had no plan to get there. I remember the day really clearly.
和粉红套装之日不同的是,我心里并没有任何实施计划。我还很清晰地记得那天的情形。
Everybody in the room gasped, because they knew we didn't have a plan.
会议室里所有人都忐忑不安,因为他们知道我们根本没有任何计划。
But they also knew that we had seen our role in the river that is the food system, and we wanted to make a change.
但是同时他们也知道,我们已经看见在食品制造这条河流上我们所扮演的角色,我们想要做出改变。
Making that declaration without a plan meant that so many young people in our company stepped up to help us,
在毫无计划的情况下做出此番宣言,意味着我们公司中很多的年轻人将会站出来帮助我们,
and B Corps around us all rallied around.
身边的共益公司也将会站在我们身边。
And the day we became a B Corp wasn't just a self-congratulatory moment of a hero company
我们成为共益公司的那一天并不只是一个英雄型企业的自我庆祝时刻,
it was more like a community celebration.
而更像是一种社群庆祝。
Now when you gave goals that you can't achieve alone, and you've told everyone about them,
当你设定一个自己无法独自完成的目标,而你又已经公告天下的时候,
inevitably, you'll end up at the third big difference, which is how you see other people, inside your company and outside.
无可避免的,将会出现第三大不同,也就是你如何看待他人,无论是在公司内部还是外部。
Heroes see everyone as a competitor or a follower.
英雄把其他人看作对手或者追随者。
Heroes don't want input, because they want to control everything because they want the credit.
英雄不需要其他人的意见,因为他们想要控制一切,想要包揽功劳。
And you can see this in a typical hero meeting. Heroes like making speeches.
在一个典型的英雄会议中你就能发现这一点。英雄喜欢发表演讲。
People lean back in their chairs, maybe impressed but not engaged.
人们靠在自己的座位上,也许挺佩服,但是心不在焉。
Interdependent leaders, on the other hand, understand that they need other people.
共同依存的领导者明白自己需要其他人。
They know that meetings are not just mindless calendar fillers.
他们明白这些会议并非只是用来漫无目的地填满日程。
These are the most precious things you have. It's where people collaborate and communicate and share ideas.
这些是最为宝贵的东西。在这里人们协作,沟通,分享主意。
People lean forward in meetings like this, wondering where they might fit in.
他们积极参与这样的会议,想知道自己能否融入其中。
When I was in Shanghai in China, where I lived for six years,
当我在中国上海的时候,我在那住了六年,
running the Kraft Foods business, selling, amongst other things, Oreo cookies, we had a problem with hero culture.
运营着卡夫食品公司,主要销售奥利奥饼干。我们有个英雄文化问题。
We kept on launching new products that failed.
我们总是发布一些失败的新产品。
And we would find out afterwards that everyone in the company knew they were going to fail, they just didn't feel free to tell us.
随后我们才发现其实公司每个人都知道会失败,但是他们就是不跟我们说。
So we changed the way we ran our innovation and planning meetings in two important ways.
所以我们改变了举行创新和规划会议的形式,主要从以下两方面。
First of all, language went back to Chinese.
首先,把会议语言转换成中文。
Because even though everyone spoke great English, when I was in the room and the meeting was in English, they focused on me.
因为尽管所有人的英文都很流利,只要我出现在会议室的时候,会议便会用英文进行,大家会把关注点放在我的身上。
And I was the foreigner, and I was the boss and I apparently had that intimidating hero look.
我是外国人,我是老板,很明显我就是一副令人肃然起敬的英雄的样子。
The second thing is we asked every single person in the meeting their opinion.
其次,我们询问了在座每一个人的想法。
And our understanding of the subtleties of the differences between American taste and Chinese taste,
我们对细微差异的理解,比如说美国人口味和中国人口味的细微不同,
in this case, really improved, and our new product success rate radically turned around and we launched a lot of winners,
得到了相当大的改善,我们的新产品成功率也随之得到极大的扭转,我们发布了很多成功的产品,
including the now famous green-tea-flavored Oreos.
包括目前大受欢迎的绿茶口味奥利奥。
Hero culture sneaks in everywhere. At Danone, we had a lot of great stuff happening in one part of the world,
英雄文化无孔不入。在达能,我们在世界一些地方有过很多很棒的尝试,
and we wanted it to spread to another part of the world.
我们想把这些尝试扩散到世界的其他地方。
But when you put a person in business gear up in front of a group of people with PowerPoint,
但是当你把一个人放到商业引擎里,放到一群人面前,操控着PPT,
they have the urge to become sort of heroic.
他们会产生一种成为英雄的冲动。
And they make everything look super shiny and they don't tell the truth.
他们会把一切包装得很华丽,而且不会说实话。
And it's not compelling and it's not even interesting.
这并不能打动人,甚至并不吸引人。
So, we changed it and we created these full-day marketplaces, kind of like a big bazaar.
于是乎我们改变了这种状况,我们创建了叫全日制市场的活动,有点像一个大集市。
And everybody was dressed up in costume, some people a little, some people a lot.
所有人都穿着特别的装束,有些人比较低调,有些人比较隆重。
And sellers had to man their stalls and sell their ideas as persuasively as possible,
卖方需要管好自己的摊位,以尽可能吸引人的方式抛售自己的想法,
and people who were convinced bought them with fake check books.
被说服的人得用假的货币购买这些想法。
Creating just a bit of silliness with the environment and a hat or a scarf drops people's guard and causes ideas to spread like wildfire.
人们营造着一种带点傻气的氛围,用一顶帽子或者一条围巾让人们放下戒备,让想法像野火般蔓延。
There's no recipe here, but time together has to be carefully curated and created
这里没有所谓的秘诀,有的只是精心组织,用心搭建的让大家相处的时间,
so that people know that their time is valuable and important, and they can bring their best selves to the table.
那样人们就会体会到他们的时间是有价值且重要的,他们可以把最好的自己展现出来。
Hero culture is present right here in TED. This whole process makes it look like I think I'm a hero.
TED也存在英雄文化。整个流程让我觉得自己像是一个英雄。
So just in case there's any doubt about the point that I'm trying to make,
为了支持我想要表达的观点,
I want to apply these ideas in an area in which I have zero credibility and zero experience.
我想在一个我并无任何公信力,并无任何经验的地方,把这些想法用起来。
I'm originally South African, and I'm deeply passionate about wildlife conservation, most particularly rhinos.
我是南非裔,我对野生动物保护满怀热情,特别是犀牛。
Those majestic creatures with big horns.
那些长着大大的角的神奇动物。
Every day, three rhinos are killed, because there are people who think that those horns are valuable,
每天都有三头犀牛被捕杀,因为有些人认为这些犀牛角是有价值的,
even though they're just made of the same stuff as hair and fingernails. It breaks my heart.
哪怕这些角的成分跟头发和指甲别无二致。这让我伤透了心。
Like all good recovering heroes, I did everything I could to reduce this goal to something that I could do by myself.
就像所有好心的英雄,我想尽办法要将这个宏大的目标降低为凭一己之力就能解决的事情。
But clearly, stopping rhino poaching is a goal way too big for me.
但是很显然,防止捕杀犀牛对于我来说是个过大的目标。
So I'm immediately in interdependence land. I'm declaring my goal on this stage.
于是我马上发现自己正处在共同依存的空间中。在这个舞台上,我宣布了自己的目标。
I found other people as passionate as I am and I've asked if I could join them. And after today, there may be more.
我找到了跟我一样充满热情的人,我问过我能否加入他们。今天之后这个队伍也许会壮大起来。
And we're now in the complex but inspiring process of learning how to work together.
我们正处于一个复杂但是振奋人心的过程当中,学习如何共事。
My dream is that one day, someone will stand on this stage and tell you how radical interdependence saved my beloved rhinos.
我梦想着有一天,有人能站在这个舞台上,告诉你们完全的共同依存拯救了我心爱的犀牛。
Why does hero culture persist, and why don't we work together more?
为什么英雄文化坚挺,为什么我们不进一步携手合作?
Well, I don't know why everyone else does it, but I can tell you why I did it.
我不知道其他人携手合作的原因,但是我可以告诉你我这么做的原因。
Interdependence is a lot harder than being a hero.
共同依存比当孤胆英雄困难多了。
It requires us to be open and transparent and vulnerable, and that's not what traditional leaders have been trained to do.
前者需要我们心胸开放,透明,暴露自己软弱的一面,这些都不是传统领导者所接受的教导。
I thought being a hero would keep me safe.
我曾想过,当一个英雄能让我得到保护。
I thought that in the elevation and separation that comes from heroic leadership, that I would be untouchable.
我曾想过英雄型领导风格所带来的上升与隔离,能让我变得不被撼动。
This is an illusion. The joy and success that comes from interdependence and vulnerability is worth the effort and the risk.
但是这是一种幻想。来自于共同依存和暴露软弱的愉悦与成功值得我们为之付出,为之冒险。
And if we're going to solve the challenges that the world is facing today, we have no alternative,
如果我们想解决现在世界面临的问题,我们别无他选,
so we had better start getting good at it. Thank you.
所以我们现在最好变得更加擅长此道。谢谢大家。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
interdependent [.intədi'pendənt]

想一想再看

adj. 相互依赖的,互助的

联想记忆
bazaar [bə'zɑ:]

想一想再看

n. 市集,商场,义卖的地方

联想记忆
gear [giə]

想一想再看

n. 齿轮,传动装置,设备,工具
v. 使适应

联想记忆
subtle ['sʌtl]

想一想再看

adj. 微妙的,敏感的,精细的,狡诈的,不明显的

 
precious ['preʃəs]

想一想再看

adj. 宝贵的,珍贵的,矫揉造作的
adv.

联想记忆
triumph ['traiəmf]

想一想再看

n. 凯旋,欢欣
vi. 得胜,成功,庆功

 
collaboration [kə.læbə'reiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 合作,通敌

联想记忆
impressed

想一想再看

adj. 外加的;印象深刻的;了不起的;受感动的

 
radical ['rædikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 激进的,基本的,彻底的
n. 激进分

 
transparent [træns'perənt]

想一想再看

adj. 透明的,明显的,清晰的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。