手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

出狱后 何以为家?

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Unless you've been incarcerated and caged up, you have no concept of freedom.

除非你坐过牢,被关起来过,否则你对自由是没有概念的。

You take it for granted.

你会觉得自由是理所当然的事。

When I first got out of prison, I was scared.

第一次出狱的时候,我很害怕。

You know, it was a whole new world for me.

因为外面对我来说就是一个全新的世界。

And I needed a place, you know, that I could call home where I can kind of decompress and feel relaxed.

我需要一个地方,一个我可以称之为“家”的地方,一个我可以卸下负担,得到放松的地方。

And now I'm home and it's like wow, you know, this is what people are talking about.

现在我有家了,感觉,啊,这就是大家所说的家的感觉。

I grew up in Southern California.

我是在南加州长大的。

Everything was good in school until my father passed away.

父亲去世之前,学校里一切都很好。

And then things got kind of rough for me.

之后,生活就变得艰难起来了。

I decided to start hanging out with the wrong crowd,

我交了一群错误的朋友,

and ended up committing a lot of crimes and then finally got sentenced to two life-terms for attempted murder and drive-by shooting.

犯下了很多罪行,因为谋杀未遂加驾车枪击被判了两次无期徒刑。

I was 17 years old when I committed my crime.

当时我才17岁。

I'm 36 now.

现在已经36了。

I just paroled about five and a half months ago.

差不多5个月半前我得到了假释。

Then I'm a participant in the homecoming project.

之后,我参加了“回家”这个项目。

The homecoming project is a transitional housing program,

这是一个过渡性的住宿项目,

where we're combined with a host in the community who houses us for a stipend for six months

项目方会在社区给我们安排一位房东,然后给房东一笔津贴,让他们为我们提供六个月的住宿,

and kind of be reintegrated into the community by somebody from the community.

同时带领我们重新融入社区。

What's unique about it is that I get to live in an independent living arrangement,

这个项目的特别之处在于我能够拥有自己的生活空间,

where I get to do my own laundry, do my own cooking, my own cleaning.

可以自己洗衣服,自己做饭,自己打扫卫生。

My host Candi Thornton, she's been involved in the community for like 35 years or something like that here in Oakland.

我房东坎蒂·桑顿在奥克兰这个社区工作了差不多35年了。

And because of that she has a certain reputation and people respect her for that.

在这片儿也算是有头有脸的人物了,大家都很尊敬她。

3

A lot of the churches and community organizations that we distribute food to or with,

很多和我们有食物配送合作的教堂或社区组织,都很热情,很欢迎我们,

they're really embracing and welcoming because Kandy's the one who brought me to them.

因为是坎蒂把我介绍给他们的。

It wasn't just me showing up at their doorstep.

出现在他们门外的不止是我一个人。

My connection with Jesse was almost immediate.

我和杰西我们差不多第一次认识就认定对方了。

After speaking with him over the phone, we were able to just ask each other questions and kind of see how we felt about certain things.

和他通完电话后,我们互相问了一些问题,了解了彼此对一些事情的看法。

As a host, I wanted to be able to provide housing where they will feel comfortable and feel free.

作为房东,我希望我提供的住宿条件能让房客觉得舒服,自由。

I'm really thankful that I had the opportunity for him to be in my circle, to be a part of what it is that I do.

我真的很感激我有这个机会把他带进我的圈子,让他加入我的工作。

because he has really shown his self that hey, I really want to, I really want to do my best, I really want to give back.

他当时真心地表明了他是真的想……尽他的最大努力,回馈社会。

it makes me feel great because I'm helping someone and that's what my heart desire is.

这让我感觉非常棒,因为我真的帮到了他人,而我内心的愿望就是帮助他人。

So the homecoming project pays my rent for the first six months.

项目方帮我支付了前六个月的房租。

My six month will be up next month.

租约下个月就到期了。

After that I have the option of either finding my own place somewhere else,

之后我可以自己找别的地方住,

or making my own rental arrangement with Candi, my host right now.

也可以和我现在的房东坎蒂续约。

For me, this is home.

对我来说,这儿就是我的家。

And she's expressed you know that I can stay here forever if I want to.

她也表过态了,只要我想住,我就可以一直住下去。

And I don't see myself moving anywhere.

我也没打算搬走。

I came to the Bay Area not knowing where I was gonna live, you know, coming out of prison.

刚来湾区的时候,就刚出狱那会儿,我并不知道我要住哪儿。

But Candi's been like a mother to me.

但坎蒂给了我母亲一样的关怀。

The moment I met her, she told me welcome home, this is your home, anything that I can do for you, any way that I can help, I'm here for you.

见到她的那一刻,她就对我说,欢迎回家,这儿就是你的家了,只要是我能为你做的,只要我能帮上忙,我都会帮你。

And I just thank God for being here today, a free man and being able to tie up with my community...

感谢上帝让我能来到大家中间,让我拥有自由之身,让我和大家紧密地联系在一起……

重点单词   查看全部解释    
circle ['sə:kl]

想一想再看

n. 圈子,圆周,循环
v. 环绕,盘旋,包围

 
arrangement [ə'reindʒmənt]

想一想再看

n. 安排,商议,整理,布置,商定,[音]改编,改编曲

联想记忆
rough [rʌf]

想一想再看

adj. 粗糙的,粗略的,粗暴的,艰难的,讨厌的,不适的

 
community [kə'mju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落

联想记忆
option ['ɔpʃən]

想一想再看

n. 选择权,可选物,优先购买权
v. 给予选

联想记忆
reputation [.repju'teiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 声誉,好名声

联想记忆
unique [ju:'ni:k]

想一想再看

adj. 独一无二的,独特的,稀罕的

联想记忆
committed [kə'mitid]

想一想再看

adj. 献身于某种事业的,委托的

联想记忆
transitional [træn'ziʃənəl]

想一想再看

adj. 变化的,过渡期的,过渡性的

 
relaxed [ri'lækst]

想一想再看

adj. 放松的, 松懈的,随意的 relax的过去式(

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。