Welcome to English @ the Movies, where we teach you American English heard at the movies.
欢迎来到《看电影学英语》节目,我们在这里教授你在电影中听到的美式英语。
Our term this week comes from the film "The Kindness of Strangers".
我们这周的短语出自电影《陌生人的善意》。
It is about a woman who takes her boys to New York City.
这部电影讲述了一位女子带着她的儿子们来到纽约的故事。
She escapes an abusive husband, but she and her children find themselves homeless.
她逃离了家暴自己的丈夫,但她和她的孩子们却发现自己无家可归了。
Listen for the term "to be worldly".
留意听一下to be worldly这个短语。
I want you to be worldly. That is Manhattan!
我想让你变得阅历丰富。那就是曼哈顿!
What about school?
那学校呢?
New York is going to be a kind of school for you.
纽约将会是一所适合你的学校。
Do you know this phrase "to be worldly"?
你知道to be worldly这个短语的含义吗?
Is it: Knowledge and experience of the world or Someone who has been around the world?
是指有关这个世界的见识,还是指曾周游世界的人?
Listen again, were you right?
再听一遍,你答对了吗?
I want you to be worldly. That is Manhattan!
我想让你变得阅历丰富。那就是曼哈顿!
What about school?
那学校呢?
New York is going to be a kind of school for you.
纽约将会是一所适合你的学校。
"To be worldly" means "Knowledge and experience of the world".
To be worldly的意思是有关这个世界的见识。
In the movie, the mom wants her son to have knowledge about New York City and who was worldly is smart.
在这部电影中,这位母亲想让她的儿子了解纽约,因为见多识广的人都聪明。
The woman hoped that starting a new life there
她希望在纽约开启一段新生活
would give her son experiences and knowledge, tools that could help him deal with a difficult life.
可以为她儿子带来应付困难生活的见识及工具。
And that is English @ the Movies. I'm Anne Ball.
以上就是今天的《看电影学英语》。我是安妮·鲍尔。