手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 沃克斯独立观点 > 正文

美国的抗议真是媒体报道的那样吗?

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

"Minneapolis on fire."

“明尼阿波利斯已经硝烟四起。”

"This is getting serious."

“事态在恶化。”

"Oh, oh, oh my goodness."

“啊,啊,天呐。”

"You watch the TV news...

“打开电视新闻。

'We've got a little bit of a fire breaking out on the left here.'

‘画面左边已经燃起了一个小火堆。’

and you're like, oh my goodness, all the protests are riots.

你会觉得说,天呐,所有的抗议都是暴乱。

'...vandalizing...'

“……破坏……”

'Fires have been started...'

“放火……”

'Things got out of control...'

“局面已经失控……”

We're not gonna pay attention to the protesters in a city that has been wracked by this violence."

我们没有注意到的是,爆发抗议的城市早已被暴力压迫得苦不堪言。”

'No justice, no peace!'

‘没有正义,就没有和平!’

'who are marching peacefully, and chanting names.'

‘他们用和平的方式游行,高喊着受害者的名字。’

'George Floyd, George Floyd, George Floyd...'

‘乔治·弗洛伊德,乔治·弗洛伊德,乔治·弗洛伊德……’

Which is going to get more attention?

哪个会更受关注?”

A group of 35 people standing, chanting names, singing songs, doing the Cupid Shuffle, as I saw one group of protesters doing,

是三四十个人站着,高呼着受害者的名字,还唱着歌,唱着《丘比特的洗牌》,有一群抗议者真就唱了这首歌,是他们得到的关注更多?

or, five people on the ground bleeding and screaming and crying and throwing rocks?

还是躺在地上流着血,一边尖叫一边哭喊一边扔着石头的5个人得到的关注更多?

Our press is driven by eyeballs, and attention, and clicks, and advertising, and passion, and raising the anxiety of viewers."

我们的新闻拼的都是吸睛度、关注度、点击量、广告和激情,这样的新闻必然会加深观众的焦虑。”

"Dramatic images are money.

“戏剧性的画面就等于钱。

They keep eyeballs on the screen.

所以他们都希望将观众的眼睛一直锁定在屏幕上。

So they will constantly show action.

所以他们会不断地曝光行动。

You need to understand the limitations of those visuals."

大家得知道这些视觉作品的局限性(才不会被带节奏)。”

"I'm a college professor.

“我是一名大学教授。

My doctorate is in political science, I teach in a journalism department.

我的博士学位是政治学学位,现在在新闻系授课。

I would say, across the board, the coverage has not been very good.

我要说的是,总体来说,(现在那些新闻的)报道面并不是很全。

It's passing, but it's not very good.

只能算过得去,算不上很好。

And the reason it's not very good is because there are not enough conversations about the roots of these protests."

之所以说算不上很好是因为它们没有用足够的篇幅讨论抗议活动的根源。”

"What they are showing you is what is happening right now on the ground.

“他们给观众展示的是现场当下正在发生的事情。

What those visuals cannot tell you is the entire historical context that has led to that scene on the ground.

这样的视觉作品没有展示的是导致现场发生那种情况的整个来龙去脉。

And one thing that a lot of mainstream media doesn't do well is give you that full context."

很多主流媒体都存在一个问题,那就是它们没有给你展示整个的来龙去脉。”

"No justice, no peace!"

“没有正义,就没有和平!”

"No justice, no peace!"

“没有正义,就没有和平!”

"You can't untangle this moment from where we are, just in this year.

“你不能从今年以来发生的事情里去找当下的困境的原因。

Starting with February, with the coronavirus.

从二月份的新冠疫情开始。

Ahmaud Arbery's lynching, having people in shelter in place,

艾哈迈德·阿贝里被(两个白人)枪杀,居家隔离令,

having people become angry that they are in shelter in place orders,

让大家居家隔离,隔离着隔离着大家的怒气就上来了,

having the economy, you know, significantly slow down.

整个经济也出现了明显的滑坡。

There are so many events, just since January, that led up to this moment.

一月份以来就已经发生了太多太多的事情,它们都是当下的抗议大潮的导火索。

Not to mention the hundreds of years before that.

几百年前的事情就更不用说了。

This becomes a very complicated story."

所以就是一个非常复杂的故事。”

"Come to me right now. This woman just got tased."

“马上过来,有个女士被电击了。”

"Who is to blame for the violence?"

“谁才是暴力的始作俑者?”

"It is crazy that when we talk about destruction of property,

“疯狂的是,说到财产破坏,

that the presumption is that the unarmed people who are protesting

我们往往觉得手无寸铁的抗议人群

are more likely to cause property destruction than the paramilitary cops who are showing up.

比出动的武警更有可能造成财产破坏。

3

Because tear gas canisters are really hot, flash bombs can start fires,

催泪瓦斯很烫,闪光弹还可能引发火灾,

tear gas leads people to run and break through windows in order to hide and get help.

催泪瓦斯逼得大家四处逃窜,逼得大家为了躲藏为了求助直朝玻璃上撞。

I'm not saying the police are intending to cause damage.

倒不是说警方有意造成破坏。

But if you're randomly shooting out tear gas,

但如果你随意地使用催泪瓦斯,

it's gonna end up in the back alley, with a pile of newspapers and some garbage.

收场就一定会很难看,就一定会有各种各样的新闻报道和一堆(东西被砸坏变成)垃圾。

Does that mean that there aren't protesters who engage in destruction?

那是不是说抗议者就没有搞破坏的?

Of course there are.

当然不是。

You know, to say that that all this is turning into looters is like saying everybody at the party is a drunk driver.

说所有的抗议者都是抢劫犯就好比说派对上的每个人都是酒驾分子一样。

No. Some people will leave and cause problems.

不成立。有些人确实是会惹麻烦。

But you can't say everybody at the party is the worst-behaving person."

但你不能说派对上的每个人都是品行最差的人。”

"I think one thing that we actually don't do well, and don't quite understand, is anti-blackness,

在我看来,我们做的不是很好,也不是很了解的一个方面就是反黑人情绪,

and how it works in our society, how it is in our language, and how it is used by mainstream media."

以及这种情绪在我们国家是怎么运作的,它如何反映在了我们的语言体系里,又是怎么被主流媒体操控的。”

"We have spent the last month watching protests who want the country to open up,

“上个月我们一直在关注各个地方的抗议活动,他们抗议的初衷是希望这个国家能开放一点,

and we saw images of these people screaming, and yelling, and spitting on police officers, who were plainclothes officers.

我们也看到了大家尖叫、大吼大叫、朝便衣警察吐口水的画面。

They weren't in riot gear.

那时候的警察都没有穿防爆服。

They weren't in masks.

也没有戴面具。

Now we see protests based on violence and death.

但现在我们看到的都是充满了暴力和死亡的抗议活动。

And we see peaceful protesters come out.

出来的还是和平的抗议者。

But suddenly, the cops come out in riot gear, and everything looks like,

问题是,突然之间,警察都穿着防爆服出来了,那个画面就好像

you know, some sort of violent takeover in some 80s post-apocalyptic film."

那种80后世界末日电影里的那种暴力接管的画面一样。”

"What I'm reminded of are photos in New Orleans of white people leaving stores with food,

“我想到的是新奥尔良州白人带着食物离开商店

and the headline being, this is how people are surviving.

标题就说这就是生存。

And black folks leaving the store with food, and calling them looters.

黑人带着食物离开商店就说他们是抢劫犯。

This is about a community that is treated differently by the police in our country.

这就是我们国家的警察看人下菜的德行。

Just consuming the news right now in the next five days is not going to give you a good understanding as to why this is happening."

只看有关事件的跟踪报道并不能帮助大家对最近发生的事情的原委形成一个很好的理解。”

"No justice, no peace!"

“没有正义,就没有和平!”

"No justice, no peace!"

“没有正义,就没有和平!”

"The emails I get, where people say, Well, I was in favor of the protesters, and then they turned violent, and it's a problem.

“我收到的邮件里有一些人就说,说起来,我本来是支持抗议者的,但他们后来走向了暴力,那就有问题了。

Well, why are you more offended by people being violent, in response to state-sponsored violence,

那我倒要问一句,为什么你更反感的是民众走向暴力,还是被国家撑腰的暴力逼得走向的暴力,

than you are by the initial act that caused everything?"

而不是造成这一切的最初的罪魁祸首呢?”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
violent ['vaiələnt]

想一想再看

adj. 暴力的,猛烈的,极端的

 
property ['prɔpəti]

想一想再看

n. 财产,所有物,性质,地产,道具

联想记忆
shelter ['ʃeltə]

想一想再看

n. 庇护所,避难所,庇护
v. 庇护,保护,

联想记忆
control [kən'trəul]

想一想再看

n. 克制,控制,管制,操作装置
vt. 控制

 
destruction [di'strʌkʃən]

想一想再看

n. 破坏,毁灭,破坏者

联想记忆
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
bleeding ['bli:diŋ]

想一想再看

n. 出血;渗色 adj. 流血的;同情的 v. 出血;

 
complicated ['kɔmplikeitid]

想一想再看

adj. 复杂的,难懂的
动词complica

 
initial [i'niʃəl]

想一想再看

n. (词)首字母
adj. 开始的,最初的,

联想记忆
screen [skri:n]

想一想再看

n. 屏,幕,银幕,屏风
v. 放映,选拔,掩

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。