"I have intimated my view of the case: I am incapable of taking any other.
“我已经谈了我对这件事的想法,我不可能有别的想法。
I am not brutally selfish, blindly unjust, or fiendishly ungrateful.
我不是一个极端自私、盲目不公和完全忘恩负义的人。
Besides, I am resolved I will have a home and connections.
此外,我决心有一个家,有亲戚。
I like Moor House, and I will live at Moor House;
我喜欢沼泽居,想住在沼泽居,
I like Diana and Mary, and I will attach myself for life to Diana and Mary.
我喜欢黛安娜和玛丽,要与她们相依为命。
It would please and benefit me to have five thousand pounds;
五千英镑对我有用,也使我高兴;
it would torment and oppress me to have twenty thousand;
二万英镑会折磨我,压抑我。
which, moreover, could never be mine in justice, though it might in law.
何况尽管在法律上属于我,在道义上不该属于我。
I abandon to you, then, what is absolutely superfluous to me.
那么我就把完全多余的东西留给你们。
Let there be no opposition, and no discussion about it; let us agree amongst each other, and decide the point at once."
不要再反对,再讨论了,让我们彼此同意,立刻把它决定下来吧。”
"This is acting on first impulses; you must take days to consider such a matter, ere your word can be regarded as valid."
“这种做法是出于一时的冲动,你得花几天考虑这样的事情,你的话才可算数。”
"Oh! if all you doubt is my sincerity, I am easy: you see the justice of the case?"
“呵,要是你怀疑我的诚意,那很容易,你看这样的处理公平不公平?”
"I do see a certain justice; but it is contrary to all custom.
“我确实看到了某种公平,但这违背习惯。
Besides, the entire fortune is your right: my uncle gained it by his own efforts; he was free to leave it to whom he would: he left it to you.
此外,整笔财产的权利属于你,我舅舅通过自己的努力挣得这份财产,他爱留给谁就可以留给谁。
After all, justice permits you to keep it: you may, with a clear conscience, consider it absolutely your own."
最后他留给了你。公道毕竟允许你留着,你可以心安理得地认为它完全属于你自己。”
"With me," said I, "it is fully as much a matter of feeling as of conscience: I must indulge my feelings;
“对我来说,”我说,“这既是一个十足的良心问题,也是个情感问题。我得迁就我的情感。
I so seldom have had an opportunity of doing so.
我难得有机会这么做。
Were you to argue, object, and annoy me for a year, I could not forego the delicious pleasure of which I have caught a glimpse --
即使你争辩、反对、惹恼我一年,我也不能放弃已经见了一眼的无上欢乐——
that of repaying, in part, a mighty obligation, and winning to myself lifelong friends."
那就是部份报答大恩大德,为我自己赢得终身的朋友。”