手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > Emma的美味英语 > 正文

第38期:5个英语习语(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Melody   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Okay, to 'give someone the benefit of the doubt'.

好的,现在是“假定其无过失或无罪(give someone the benefit of the doubt)”
Now if you give someone the benefit of the doubt
如果你假定其无过失或无罪(give someone the benefit of the doubt),
you trust that they're telling you the truth,
表示你相信他们在告诉你实话,
you assume that their behaviour is honest and correct,
你假定他们的行为是诚实且正确的,
even though you're not certain that it is.
即使你对此并不确定。
I don't know if you know this about me yet,
我不知道你是否知道我的事,
but as an English teacher, I can be a massive pushover.
但是作为一名英语老师,我是一个耳根子很软的人。
I always want to believe that my students are telling me the truth.
我总是想去相信我的学生们在告诉我实话。
So when I first started teaching, I was working at a university in Melbourne
我刚开始教课的时候,我在墨尔本的一个大学工作,
and my students were all international students who had to pass an exam
我的学生都是国际学生,他们得通过考试
before they were accepted into their university courses,
才能获得参与大学课程的资格,
so the stakes were really high.
所以风险真的很高。
If they failed, their visas would be cancelled and they would be sent back to their home country.
如果他们未通过考试,他们的签证就会被取消,他们也会被遣送回祖国。
So many of the teachers, my colleagues, were very tough on their students,
所以很多老师,我的同事们,对于他们的学生非常严格
if they handed in their assignments late, if they didn't arrive to class on time.
如果他们作业交完了,上课迟到了。
But, if my students had a good reason why they were late then I believed them.
但是,如果我的学生对于自己的迟到有很好的理由的话,我就会相信他们。
I remember one guy, Paulo, arrived an hour late for class
我记得有个叫保罗的小伙子,上课迟到了1个小时,
and he told me that he had locked his keys inside his car. That was his reason.
他告诉我他把钥匙锁在了车里。这是他的理由。
And I was a little suspicious at the time because his hair was all messy and he looked a bit sleepy.
我当时有点怀疑,因为他头发乱糟糟的,看起来有点困。
But I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
但是我勉强相信他了。
He was a good student, so I wanted to trust him, even though I wasn't sure if he was telling me the truth.
他是一个好学生,所以我想相信他,即使我不确定他是否说了实话。
I found out later that he was, so I was glad I'd given him the benefit of the doubt.
后来我发现他确实说了真话,我很高兴我选择了相信他。
Okay, your turn!
好的,轮到你了!
Think of the time in your life when you gave someone the benefit of the doubt,
想一下你生活中假定某人无过失或无罪的时刻吧,
when you accepted that they were telling you the truth,
当时你接受他们对你讲了真话,
but you weren't a hundred percent sure about it.
尽管你并不是百分之百的确定。
When a situation is not under control,
当情况失控时,
this idiom is a good one to remember.
记住这个习语很好。
It often relates to arguments and behaviour.
它通常涉及到争论和行为。
So if a situation is out of hand, it's not being managed well and it could cause some problems for you, then you can use it.
所以如果情况失控的时候,处理的不好可能会给你带来一些麻烦,你就可以使用这个习语。
So for example, my nephew, he had fifteen friends come to his sixth birthday party last weekend
举个例子,我的侄子在上周末举办6岁生日派对时,有15个朋友来了,
and we planned some party games to play.
我们准备了一些可以玩的派对游戏。
I had three prizes to give for the winners.
我为获胜者准备了三个奖品。
So when I gave out the prizes,
所以当我给出奖品时,
two kids who didn't get a prize, started crying uncontrollably
有两个孩子没有得到奖品,开始失控地哭泣,
and another tried to take a prize off the winner.
有一个孩子尝试从获胜者手里抢夺奖品。
So things got really out of hand,
所以事情完全失控了(out of hand),
so I quickly had to give out some chocolates to help keep things under control.
于是我马上发了一些巧克力,来帮助控制局面。

下载.png

Maybe that's not the best example.

也许这不是最好的例子。
Okay so during the celebrations last night,
好的,昨天晚上的庆祝中,
things got a little out of hand.
事情有一点失控。
Paul broke a window by accident,
保罗意外打破了窗户,
they were all drinking a lot and I tried to stop them
他们都喝了很多酒,我尝试去阻止他们,
before things got out of hand but I wasn't quick enough!
趁着事情还没有失控,但我不够快。
Your turn!
轮到你了!
Can you think of an event or a situation in your life where things got out of hand?
你能想到生活中一件事或是一种情况,当时事情失控了吗?
You know, they got a bit crazy.
你懂的,他们太疯狂了。
Can you believe that we are already up to idiom number five?
你能相信我们已经准备讲第五个习语了吗?
Time flies when you're having fun!
快乐的时光总是很短暂(Time flies when you're having fun)!
This is a really common idiom.
这真是一个常见的习语。
You can use it when you don't notice how long something takes because you've actually been really enjoying yourself.
当你没有注意到某事已经做了很久,因为你真的享受其中,你可以使用这个习语。
It's been fun, so you can simply say 'time flies when you're having fun!'
这很有趣,所以你可以说:“快乐的时光总是很短暂(Time flies when you're having fun)!”
It tells the listener that you're surprised by how quickly times gone by
它告诉听众,你对于时间的飞逝很震惊,
and it's the perfect idiom to use when you get to the end of a speaking exam and your examiner says "Okay, that's the end of your speaking exam";
当你口语考试快结束时,你的考官说:“好的,口语考试结束”,这个时候用这个习语再好不过了。
You can impress them and show them how much you were enjoying yourself during the exam by saying
你可以向他们展示你在考试中有多么乐在其中,通过说:
"Really? Gosh! Time flies when you're having fun!"
“真的吗?天哪!快乐的时光总是很短暂!”
And actually this idiom is often just reduced down to 'time flies!'
实际上,这个习语经常会缩写成“时间飞逝(time flies)!”
If you're in a meeting with some colleagues, for example
比如说,你和一些同事开会时,
and someone says "It's 3:15pm already! Our meeting's run over time."
有人说“已经下午三点十五了!我们的会议都超时了。”
You could say "Oh, really? Time flies... I've got to go. I'm late for my next meeting!"
你可以说“哦,真的吗?时间飞逝……我得走了。我下个会议迟到了!”
It's just a casual way of saying that the meeting was interesting and you didn't notice how quickly time went by.
这只是一种随意的说法,表示会议很有趣,你没有注意到时间过得有多快。
But it's a positive expression so don't use this idiom if you're frustrated or annoyed that the meeting ran over time.
但这是一个积极的表达方式,所以如果你对会议时间过长而感到沮丧或恼火,就不要使用这个习语。
And when you're using the complete idiom 'time flies when you're having fun!'
当你使用完整的习语“快乐的时光总是很短暂(Time flies when you're having fun)!”时,
the use of you're is not directed to the person that you're talking to.
习语中使用的“you're”不是针对你谈话的人。
It's not like you're saying your time flies when you're having fun.
并不是说当你开心的时候,你的时间飞逝。
It's a really general statement, it's not specifically referring to anyone.
这是一个非常笼统的说法,不是专门指任何人。
It's a fixed expression
这是固定表达,
so it's always said, 'time flies when you're having fun!'
所以经常会说“快乐的时光总是很短暂(Time flies when you're having fun)!”
And yes time does fly!
是的,时光飞逝!
We are coming to the end of another lesson
我们新一节课马上要结束了,
but the five idioms in this video are very common.
但是视频中的五个习语很常见。
You'll hear them often in movies, you'll read them in books, you'll hear them in conversations
你可以经常在电影、书籍、对话里听见它们,
and you can be confident using any of them with native English speakers
在你和英语母语者交谈时,你可以很自信地使用它们,
because people use them in all English-speaking countries.
因为所有英语国家的人都会使用它们。
They're really useful ones to learn.
学习它们真的很有用。
Don't forget to practise using them in the comments below this video, I'll try to check them for you
别忘了在这个视频下面的评论中练习使用它们,我会帮你检查一下
so I can give you some feedback.
我会给你们一些反馈。
So keep watching more mmmEnglish lessons right here and make sure you subscribe to the channel!
所以继续收看更多的mmmEnglish课程,一定要订阅这个频道!
Never miss an English lesson here again!
不要错过我们的英语课!
Subscribe! That red button down there!
订阅一下!点击下面的红色按钮!
I'll see you again next week. Bye for now!
下周见!拜拜!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
assume [ə'sju:m]

想一想再看

vt. 假定,设想,承担; (想当然的)认为

联想记忆
impress [im'pres]

想一想再看

n. 印象,特徵,印记
v. 使 ... 有印

联想记忆
confident ['kɔnfidənt]

想一想再看

adj. 自信的,有信心的,有把握的
a

联想记忆
benefit ['benifit]

想一想再看

n. 利益,津贴,保险金,义卖,义演
vt.

联想记忆
channel ['tʃænl]

想一想再看

n. 通道,频道,(消息)渠道,海峡,方法
v

联想记忆
control [kən'trəul]

想一想再看

n. 克制,控制,管制,操作装置
vt. 控制

 
listener ['lisənə]

想一想再看

n. 听者,听众

 
annoyed

想一想再看

adj. 恼怒的;烦闷的 v. 使烦恼;打扰(annoy

 
certain ['sə:tn]

想一想再看

adj. 确定的,必然的,特定的
pron.

 
suspicious [səs'piʃəs]

想一想再看

adj. 可疑的,多疑的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。