This is Everyday Grammar. I'm Kaveh.
这里是《每日语法》节目。我是卡韦赫。
And I'm Lucija. Kaveh, I got a text from a friend, but I'm not sure if it's correct.
我是露茜佳。卡韦赫,我收到了一个朋友的信息,但我不确定这个信息写得是否正确。
Well, let me hear what it is.
恩,让我听听是怎么写的。
OK, well, at one point he wrote, "I could of gone to New York last weekend".
好的,他在其中一处写道:“I could of gone to New York last weekend”。
But I don't think that sounds right.
但是我觉得这句话不太对。
You're correct. "Of" is a preposition.
你说得对。Of是一个介词。
The sentence is missing a verb, in this case, "have".
而这句话缺一个动词,比如说have。
It should be, "I could have gone to New York last weekend."
这句话应该是这样的:I could have gone to New York last weekend。
The confusion comes from the abbreviated form of "could have",
这种混淆来自于“could have”的缩写形式,
that's "could've", which sounds a lot like "could of".
也就是could've,听起来很像could of。
I got it. And since could is a helping verb, another verb must always follow it, not a preposition.
我懂了。因为could是助动词,所以后面必须跟着另一个动词,而不是介词。
I should write to him and let him know.
我应该写信告诉他,让他知道。
Are there any other common mistakes that native speakers make?
还有其他母语人士常犯的错误吗?
Well, there's the example of "every day" versus "everyday".
恩,还有一个every day和every day的区别。
"Everyday" together as one word is an adjective and means "common". Like, "Everyday Grammar".
Everyday写成一个单词时,是一个形容词,含义是通常的。比如说Everyday Grammar。
But "every day" as two words is an adverb phrase, and describes when or how often something happens.
但是every day写成两个单词时,就是一个副词短语,用来描述某事发生的时间和频率。
Every day I go to school.
我每天都会去上学。
An easy way to remember the difference between "everyday" and "every day"
一个记住everyday和every day的区别的简单方法,
is that the first is an adjective and comes before a noun,
就是everyday是一个形容词,会出现在一个名词之前,
and the second is an adverb phrase and must modify a verb.
而后者则是一个副词短语,必须修饰一个动词。
And that's everyday, not every day grammar.
以上就是本期的everyday,而不是every day语法节目。