手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

阻止下一场全球流行病的病毒监测网络

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Sentinel is a proactive early warning system to preempt pandemics. It is built on three major pillars.

“哨兵”系统是一套用来主动防范全球流行病的早期预警系统。它构建于三个主要的支柱之上。
The first pillar is Detect. Christian and I have been studying infectious diseases together around the world for two decades.
第一个支柱是检测。我和克里斯提昂一起在世界各地研究传染病已经有二十多年了。
We have been using genome sequencing. Reading out the complete genetic information of a microbe,
我们使用了基因组测序的方法。通过破译出病菌完整的遗传信息,
it allows us to identify viruses, even those we've never seen before, track them as they spread and watch for new mutations.
我们就可以识别出病毒,甚至是之前从未见过的病毒,在它们传播时进行追踪,并监测新的变异。
And now with the powerful gene-editing technology CRISPR,
现在,通过强大的基因编辑技术CRISPR,
we can use this genetic information to rapidly design exquisitely sensitive diagnostic tests for any microbe.
我们可以使用这些遗传信息,快速设计出针对任何病菌都具有极高灵敏度的诊断测试。
One of these tools is called SHERLOCK. It can be used to test known viruses on simple paper strips.
其中一种工具叫SHERLOCK。在一张简单的试纸上就可以检测已知的病毒。
It is very inexpensive, and frontline health workers can use SHERLOCK to detect the most common or the most threatening viruses within an hour.
它非常廉价,有了SHERLOCK,一线医护人员在一个小时之内就能检测出最常见的或是最具杀伤力的病毒。
The other tool is CARMEN. It requires a lab, but it can test for hundreds of viruses simultaneously.
另一种工具叫CARMEN。它需要在实验室里使用,但是可以同时检测几百种病毒。
So hospital lab staff can test patient samples for a broad range of viruses within a day.
医院的实验室人员可以在一天之内,用患者样本检测种类繁多的病毒。
Our second pillar is Connect. Connect everyone and share this information across the public health community.
我们的第二个支柱是连接。连接每个人,并在公共卫生群体之中分享这个信息。
In most outbreaks, hospital staff share case information through paper, Excel -- if at all.
在大多数疫病爆发时,医院人员即使分享了病例信息,也只是通过纸质文件和Excel表格。
This makes tracking an outbreak through space and time and coordinating a response extremely difficult.
这让在空间和时间上追踪疫情并协调响应变得十分困难。
So we're developing a cloud-based system and mobile applications
于是,我们正在开发云端系统和手机应用,
that connect community health workers, clinicians, public health teams -- everyone
来连接社区医疗工作者、临床医师、公卫团队--几乎覆盖了每个人,
and allows them to upload data, perform analysis, share insights and coordinate a response and action plan in real time.
让他们可以上传数据、进行分析、分享见解,并实时协调响应措施,统筹行动计划。
Our third pillar is Empower.
我们的第三个支柱是赋能。
An outbreak surveillance system can only succeed if we empower frontline health workers that are already out there taking care of communities.
只有我们更好地用技术“武装”在前线为社区提供服务的医疗工作者,疫情监测系统才能充分发挥作用。
It requires a lot of training. Pardis and I are very much aware of that.
这需要很多的培训。帕蒂斯和我对这一点都非常清楚。
We've spent the past 10 years training hundreds of young African scientists and clinicians.
在过去的十年间,我们培训了数百名年轻的非洲科学家和临床医师。
Over the next five years, we will train an additional 1,000 health workers
在接下来的五年里,我们还会培训另一千名医疗工作者
to use Sentinel detection tools and empower them to train their colleagues.
如何使用“哨兵”检测工具,并让他们有能力去培训他们的同事。
This way, we will improve the original health care system and integrate surveillance into medical practice.
这样,我们就能改善原有的医疗系统,并将监测纳入医疗实践。
So here we are. We're recording this.
现在我们正在录像。
It's April 7th, 2020, and obviously, we are in the throes of this crazy global pandemic caused by this new coronavirus.
今天是2020年4月7号,很显然,我们目前正处于由新型冠状病毒引发的这场疯狂的全球性大流行病的困境之中。
So you two have been working together forever, and you really came together pretty aggressively with the Ebola crisis back in 2014.
你们二位一直都在合作,而且也在2014年非常积极的共同应对了埃博拉疫情。

阻止下一场全球流行病的病毒监测网络

What does it feel like from your perspective?

你们对此有什么感受?
Pretty much six years after the Ebola outbreak, we're really facing another crisis,
在埃博拉疫情爆发六年后,我们正面临着另一场危机,
and we still pretty much, like, we never learned from the previous crisis.
我们仍然像是从未从前一场危机中吸取教训。
And that, really, for me, is heartbreaking.
这对我来说,确实很痛心。
I think that this pandemic has shown us how unprepared we are everywhere in the world.
我觉得这场大流行向我们揭示了,我们准备得很不充分,世界各地都是如此。
Christian and our partners together had diagnostics at our hospital sites in Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Senegal in early February.
克里斯提昂和我们的合作伙伴二月初就在尼日利亚、塞拉利昂和塞内加尔的当地医院开展了检测。
Most states in the United States didn't have it until far later.
美国的大多数州直到很晚才开展检测。
It tells us that we are all in this together, and we are all very much behind the curve.
这就说明,我们必须同舟共济,而我们在行动上是很滞后的。
So, this Sentinel system is amazing, but I know that the question that's on everybody's mind is:
这个“哨兵”系统很棒,但我知道,所有人都很好奇:
How is that playing into the here and now?
“哨兵”系统在这场危机中究竟扮演着什么角色?
You know, we describe Sentinel as a pandemic preemption system, and here we are in a pandemic.
我们将“哨兵”系统描述为大流行病的预防系统,而目前我们正身陷大流行病之中。
But what's great is that, actually, the same tools you need to preempt a pandemic are the ones that you need to respond to one.
但好的一方面是,实际上,用来预防大流行病的工具,也正是可以应对大流行病的工具。
And so all of the technologies that we have laid out -- the point-of-care testing, the multiplex testing,
所以,我们部署好的所有技术--即时检测、多重检测,
the discovery and tracking of the virus as it's changing, and the overlay of the mobile applications to dashboard -- are all critical.
对不断变化的病毒的发现和追踪,以及添加数据面板的手机应用--全都至关重要。
For us, it is a war. We are basically committed for 24 hours' turnaround time in order to give results,
对我们来说,这是一场战争。我们基本上是承诺了24小时内给出结果的检测周转时间,
and that requires for us to work around the clock nonstop.
这就要求我们连轴转地不停工作。
So it's a pretty challenging moment. We are away from family.
所以这是个非常具有挑战性的时刻。我们一直远离家庭。
At least I have the privilege to see family today, and then I'm sure tomorrow I'm heading back in the trenches.
至少,我今天有幸跟家人重聚,但我很确信明天我就要回到前线。
In my lab, we sequenced the first COVID-19 genome on the African continent, and that really was done within 48 hours.
我的实验室对非洲大陆上第一个COVID-19基因组进行了测序,48小时之内就完成了。
This is revolutionary coming from Africa and then making this information available for the global health community
这是来自非洲的变革,将这个信息分享给全球的医疗群体,
to see what the virus within Africa looks like.
看看非洲的病毒是什么样的。
I believe that with technologies and knowledge and then sharing information, we can do better and then we can overcome.
我相信有了技术、知识,以及信息共享系统,我们可以做得更好,我们可以战胜病毒。
The whole idea of Sentinel is that we all stand guard over each other.
“哨兵”系统的整个想法就是我们守护彼此。
We all watch. Each one of us is a sentinel.
我们都在观测。我们每个人都是哨兵。
Each one of us, being able to monitor what is making us sick, can share that with the rest of our community.
我们每个人都有能力监测是什么让我们生病,并可以与社区中的其他人分享这个信息。
And I think that is what I profoundly want, is for us to all stand guard and watch over each other.
我觉得这是我最衷心的愿望:我们都是哨兵,我们守护彼此。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
genome ['dʒi:nəum]

想一想再看

n. [生]基因组;[生]染色体组

联想记忆
curve [kə:v]

想一想再看

n. 曲线,弯曲,弧线,弯曲物
vt.

 
additional [ə'diʃənl]

想一想再看

adj. 附加的,另外的

 
community [kə'mju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落

联想记忆
available [ə'veiləbl]

想一想再看

adj. 可用的,可得到的,有用的,有效的

联想记忆
privilege ['privilidʒ]

想一想再看

n. 特权,特别恩典,基本人权,荣幸
vt.

联想记忆
virus ['vaiərəs]

想一想再看

n. 病毒,病原体

 
genetic [dʒi'netik]

想一想再看

adj. 基因的,遗传的,起源的

联想记忆
committed [kə'mitid]

想一想再看

adj. 献身于某种事业的,委托的

联想记忆
integrate ['intigreit]

想一想再看

v. 整合,使 ... 成整体
adj. 组合

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。