手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

为什么有些人喜欢做长长的美甲?

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

I'm one of the Long Nail Goddesses.

我是“长指甲女神”社群的一员。

It's a community of ladies with long nails.

“长指甲女神”是一个留长指甲的女士社群。

Long nails have been a part of my life practically all my life.

留长指甲差不多一直都是我生活的一部分。

The First Lady is the pastor's wife.

第一夫人也就是牧师的妻子。

Traditionally, first ladies have big hats, short nails; and I'm a first lady with long nails and fascinators.

传统上,第一夫人都习惯戴大帽子,留短指甲;但我是喜欢留长指甲,带面纱帽的第一夫人。

Tradition doesn't define me, so why would I cut my nails for church?

我什么样又不是传统说了算,那我干嘛要因为教堂把指甲给剪了?

If I can't come in being who I am,

如果我在教堂都不能做自己,

what good am I going to do for anybody sitting on any one of these rows?

那我还怎么帮助坐在下面这些长椅上的教众呢?

Everybody is somebody, at First Zion Hill Baptist Church.

在第一锡安山浸信会教堂,每个人都是举足轻重的人物。

Long Nail Goddesses feel just as welcome as anybody else.

我们长指甲女神在这个教堂感受到的温暖和其他人是一样的。

Tell her we're leaving to church.

跟她说我们要去教堂了。

We on our way.

已经在路上了。

Maria has been doing my nails for about five years.

玛丽亚给我修指甲修了5年了吧。

Every week I go for four to five hours to get my nails done.

我每周都要花4~5个小时做指甲。

Hi baby, how are you?

嘿,宝贝,你好吗?

When she opens the floor, she opens her doors for all of us to come together.

她开这家美甲店也是为我们所有人敞开了大门,让我们走到了一起。

That's our community.

这就是我们的社群。

I've been doing nails almost 23 years.

我做指甲已经做了快23年了。

Since I was young, I already knew, I was different.

年轻的时候我就知道,我跟大家不一样。

It definitely helped me to identify with my girls.

开美甲店绝对促进了我和姐妹们的认同感。

I came out in the '80s as transgender, and it was very difficult for me.

我是80年代的时候公开自己变性人身份的,那段时间过得真的非常艰难。

Being ostracized by society; I know what it is to be rejected.

被社会排斥;被拒绝的感受我懂。

Knowing how that feels, I created a safe haven for the girls, and I needed that myself.

因为知道那是怎样的感受,我就为姐妹们创造了一个避风港,我自己也很需要这个避风港。

We are a family.

我们就是一家人。

People ask me questions like, "How do you do anything?"

大家会问我“你(留那么长的指甲)还怎么做事呢?”之类的问题。

I clean my baseboards; I clean my oven; I put contacts in!

我都自己打扫踢脚线,打扫烤箱的,还能戴隐形呢!

They grew, I didn't glue them on.

我留的指甲都是自己长出来的,并不是我粘上去的。

They grew, so that's how I know how to use them.

它们都是自己长出来的,所以我知道怎么用它们。

When we're out in the world, people say nasty things, some whisper.

我们走到外面的时候,大家就会说一些很不中听的话,有些还会窃窃私语。

It's so rude.

就特别无礼。

It hurts...

(他们那些行为)很伤人的。

But I could talk to Maria.

好在我还能跟玛丽亚吐槽。

I can vent.

还能发泄。

She doesn't realize the power that she has, with being able to build a person's spirit with nails.

她自己并没有意识到把一个人的态度融入到指甲里蕴含着多大的能量。

And when I leave out of there,

从她的店里走出来,

it's like OK, my nails look beautiful; I feel beautiful; and I'm revived, I'm charged, let's go.

我就会重新觉得‘没事,我有这么漂亮的美甲;我觉得自己很美;我又满血复活了,让我们迎接新的生活吧’。

It's just like heaven, you know?

跟姐妹们在一起就跟在天堂一样,你知道吗?

You laugh, you joke, we talk to one another about this and that; and I love just being here.

大家一起有说有笑,聊这个聊那个,我就特别喜欢来这儿。

2

People speak different languages, but we all speak this one language.

虽然大家口头说的是不同的语言,但有一种语言是我们共通的。

And we all live this right here.

而且我们都生活在一个地方。

I love these girls.

我爱这些姐妹。

They're the sisters that I don't have, I have six brothers.

她们填补了我没有姐妹的空白,我只有六个兄弟。

And these are the women in my life.

她们差不多就是我生命里的所有女人了。

Our community at the salon,

我们沙龙的姐妹党,

that's where I go get my mojo back so to speak.

可以说就是我找回魔力的地方。

So, that's what we do when we gather.

我们在一起的时候就是在做这个(找回魔力)。

We help each other.

我们互相帮助。

Seeing my Long Nail Goddess sisters sit in my pew at church is the most amazing experience.

看到我长指甲女神的姐妹们在我们教堂的长椅上坐成一排,那种感觉特别惊艳。

That also lets me know that beyond our salon walls, we support each other.

她们的到来也让我知道,哪怕是在沙龙外面,我们也是彼此的靠山。

The Long Nail Goddesses, it's a community of love.

长指甲女神,我们是一个充满爱的社群。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
community [kə'mju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落

联想记忆
whisper ['wispə]

想一想再看

n. 低语,窃窃私语,飒飒的声音
vi. 低声

 
identify [ai'dentifai]

想一想再看

vt. 识别,认明,鉴定
vi. 认同,感同身

 
haven ['heivn]

想一想再看

n. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,

联想记忆
rude [ru:d]

想一想再看

adj. 粗鲁的,无礼的
adj. 粗糙

 
gather ['gæðə]

想一想再看

v. 聚集,聚拢,集合
n. 集合,聚集

 
define [di'fain]

想一想再看

v. 定义,解释,限定,规定

联想记忆
glue [glu:]

想一想再看

n. 胶,胶水,胶粘物
vt. 粘贴,紧附于

 
vent [vent]

想一想再看

n. 排气口,表达,发泄,火山口 v. 发泄,表达,排放

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。