手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 探索物理小奥秘 > 正文

第102期:焦糖是如何产生的

来源:可可英语 编辑:hoy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

When I first saw the following video - which is in Spanish - I wanted to share it with my friends.

当我第一次看到这段西班牙语的视频时,我想和我的朋友们分享。
Even those who don't speak Spanish. So, in collaboration with Arcadi Garcia,
即使是那些不会说西班牙语的人。阿卡迪·加西亚制作了最初的视频,
who made the original, here is Gastrofisica in English.
这里是我和他一块制作的英文版的“Gastrofisica”。
Sugar, or, at least, refined sugar is a white, odorless, fine-grained material,
糖,或者至少是精制糖,是一种白色、无气味的细粒物质,
which means that, in some ways, it behaves like a liquid.
这意味着,在某些方面,它表现得像液体。
Caramel, on the other hand, is... Uhhh... No. How does THIS turn into THIS?
另一方面,焦糖是,呃,不,怎么会变成这样?
Well, it can’t be that complicated, right??
好吧,不会那么复杂吧??
You heat up the sugar, the sugar melts, and then begins the process of caramelization,
你加热糖,糖就会融化,然后开始焦糖化的过程,
which is a hot, sweet, sticky mess of crazy chemical shenanigans we’re not going to get into;
这是一个我们不会深入探讨的热,甜,粘糊糊的疯狂化学把戏;
first because we’d have to get into too much chemistry, and second because you know WHAT?
第一个原因是我们要进行太多的化学反应,第二个原因是你知道吗?
This whole caramel thing isn't as simple as it looks.
整个焦糖的事情并不像它看起来那么简单。
First, we've got the chemical process of caramelization, which isn't very well understood.
首先,我们有焦糖化的化学过程,这不是很清楚。
We know that it's complex, that it creates HUNDREDS of different compounds
我们知道它很复杂,它会产生数百种不同的化合物,
and that it involves LOADS of chemical reactions that,
它包含了大量的化学反应,
as I said, we’re not going to get into, and anyway we don’t understand it anywhere near 100%.
就像我说的,我们不会深入探讨,而且我们还没有百分之百地理解它。
And don't get me started on melting sugar! ‘Cause I mean, in the first place,
别让我开始吃融化的糖!因为我是说首先,
what temperature does sugar even melt at?
糖在什么温度融化?
Different studies people have done on this don't agree.
不同的人对此做了不同的研究。
Some say this temperature. Some say that temperature.
有人说是这个温度。有人说是那个温度。
In the end, it all seems to hang on whether to reach this or that temperature you heat up the sugar fast or slow.
最后,是否达到这个或那个温度,这一切似乎都取决于你加热糖的快或慢。
Except the whole delightful concept of "melting point" is precisely that,
除了“熔点”这个令人愉快的概念,
at the same pressure and so on, the temperature at which something melts will always be the same,
在相同的压力下,某物熔化的温度总是相同的,
no matter how you got there! what temperature does is
不管你怎么做到的!温度做的就是
to give us an idea of how much kinetic energy the molecules of a given substance have;
给我们一个给定物质分子有多少动能、
how fast they move. In order to melt, the molecules in a solid need,
他们移动得多快的概念。为了融化固体中的分子,
at the very least, a certain amount of energy to break free from their neighbors,
至少,要有一定的能量来摆脱他们的邻居,
and that energy depends on the substance they belong to.
那个能量取决于它们所属的物质。
Like, at atmospheric pressure, water always melts at 0ºC,
比如,水在大气压力下,总是在0ºC融化,
gallium at about 30ºC which is why it melts in your hand,
镓在大约在30ºC融化。这就是为什么它会在你的手里融化,
iron melts at around 1500ºC and sugar, apparently, WHENEVER THE HECK IT FEELS LIKE IT.
铁在1500ºC融化,糖,很显然,在它想要的温度融化。
But if sugar - or, in other words, sucrose - melts, like, whenever it gets around to melting,
但是如果糖——或者换句话说,蔗糖——融化了,就像,当它快要融化的时候,
that’s because it doesn't actually melt: before getting to that point,
那是因为它实际上并没有融化:在到达融点之前,
it breaks into its components: glucose and fructose.
它会分解成葡萄糖和果糖。

焦糖是如何产生的.png

Glucose and fructose, which are more stable, DO have real, proper melting points,

葡萄糖和果糖更稳定,它们确实有真正本身的熔点,
and DO melt the way we think of when we think of things melting, and they're what you see when sugar "melts";
就像我们认为的东西融化一样,它们就是糖“融化”时的样子;
(you can't... you can't see me, but I'm making some crazy air quotes over here).
(你不能...你看不见我,但我在这里做了一些疯狂的空气引号)。
Most recipes for making caramel talk about heating your oven up to 160ºC-180ºC (320°F - 355°F).
大多数食谱制作焦糖时,设置加热烤箱温度为160度至180度(320华氏度至355华氏度)。
And if you want to make it in a pot or whatever (like we’re doing in this video),
如果你想在锅里做(就像我们在这个视频里做的),
you can get things up to more or less that same temperature.
你可以让它达到差不多相同的温度。
But to simply break sucrose into glucose and fructose, we don't need that much heat!
但要简单地将蔗糖分解成葡萄糖和果糖,我们不需要那么多热量!
That is, if we control our excitement and instead keep the temperature around 150ºC (300°F) but for a longer time,
也就是说,如果我们控制我们的刺激,而不是把温度保持在150度(300华氏度)左右,但时间要长一些,
we can make caramel without having to melt anything:
我们不需要熔化任何东西就可以做焦糖
it just goes directly from solid to solid! To give this a shot,
它会直接从一个固体变到另一个固体!为了试一试,
we tried to dry-caramelize some sugar cubes.
我们试着将一些方糖干焦化。
With the oven set to 150?C(300°F), after 3 and a half hours these beauties are what came out!
烤箱设置为150度(300华氏度),3个半小时后出来的就是这些好东西!
I mean, how sweet are these? Perfectly caramelized sugar cubes without melting a single thing!
我是说,这东西多甜啊?完美的焦糖方糖,没有融化任何东西!
They're sugar cubes, except, you know, caramel sugar cubes.
它们是方糖,只不过是焦糖方糖。
They taste like caramel, they smell like caramel, they ARE caramel. In the form of a sugar cube.
它们吃起来像焦糖,闻起来像焦糖,它们就是焦糖。以方糖的形式存在。
And yup, we were able to do all of this just because
是的,我们能做这些仅仅是因为
we tried to understand the physics of caramel. Delicious, delicious, physics.
我们试图理解焦糖的物理原理。好吃,好吃,物理。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
kinetic [kai'netik]

想一想再看

adj. 运动的,动力学的

联想记忆
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
certain ['sə:tn]

想一想再看

adj. 确定的,必然的,特定的
pron.

 
cube [kju:b]

想一想再看

n. 立方体,立方
vt. 求 ... 的立方

 
complicated ['kɔmplikeitid]

想一想再看

adj. 复杂的,难懂的
动词complica

 
concept ['kɔnsept]

想一想再看

n. 概念,观念

 
collaboration [kə.læbə'reiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 合作,通敌

联想记忆
atmospheric [.ætməs'ferik]

想一想再看

adj. 大气的,大气层的,制造气氛的

 
complex ['kɔmpleks]

想一想再看

adj. 复杂的,复合的,合成的
n. 复合体

联想记忆
sticky ['stiki]

想一想再看

adj. 粘的,闷热的,困难的,令人不满意的

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。