We are flying up to Marum the volcano in the center of Ambrym Island in Vanuatu.
我们正飞往瓦努阿图安布里姆岛中心的马卢姆火山。
This volcano is incredibly unique cause it's the very few places on earth
这座火山非常独特,因为地球上很少有这种地方,
that you can stand next to a giant lava lake to try and figure out the limits of life on earth.
你可以站在一个巨大的熔岩湖旁边,尝试找到地球上生命的极限。
So, welcome to the summit of Marum volcano.
欢迎来到马卢姆火山的顶峰,
I thought I'd give you a little tour of our camp.
我想我可以带你参观一下我们的营地,
Here it is. The volcano is over there.
这里就是,火山就在那边。
We're camping actually within about 20 meters of the crater edge, and the lava lake is a couple of 100 meters down off that cliff edge.
我们在距离火山口大约20米的地方露营,熔岩湖就在悬崖边儿几百米的地方。
And at night you can hear this rumbling and this spitting and sputtering.
晚上的时候你可以听到这种隆隆声、喷溅声、还有噼啪声,
It's pretty terrifying to be honest.
挺吓人的说实话。
These are our tents, this is where we are camping – mess tent over there.
这是我们的帐篷,这里是我们露营的地方,用餐帐篷在那边。
These are the shift pods, so that's where we've got our lab equipment, Film equipment, climbing equipment.
这些是移动舱,那里有我们的实验室设备、电影设备、攀登设备。
This is Jeff. He is responsible for all our health and safety up here – Hi Jeff!
这位是杰夫,他负责我们这里所有的健康和安全问题——嗨,杰夫!
Hi. I'm just about to do an operation.
嗨,我要去“做个手术”。
Jeff is heading into the toilet tent. So, we'll leave him be.
杰夫正在走进厕所帐篷,所以我们就别管他了。
Conditions today are pretty nasty, to be honest.
老实说,今天的天气相当恶劣。
It's been raining a lot and you can feel the rain in your skin and your eyes, it's so acidic.
下了很多雨,皮肤和眼睛里都能感觉到雨,很酸。
Sometimes we are struggling to breathe because of the sulphuric acid. It really stings, and it really hurts.
有时候我们会因为硫酸而感到呼吸困难,刺痛感真的很强。
We haven't had a clear weather window yet for the descent.
我们降落的时候天气还灰蒙蒙的。
I'm kind of praying to the weather gods in Vanuatu that the weather clears, and we get a…a clear day to get to the bottom of the volcano.
我在向瓦努阿图的天气之神祈祷,希望天能够放晴,这样我们就能在晴朗的天气下到达火山底部。
The big risk is the camera stopping working before we finish shooting.
最大的风险是相机在我们完成拍摄前就停止工作了。
And we've spent quite a lot of money, and put quite a lot of effort in getting up here to the top of the volcano.
我们花了很多钱、付出了很多努力才爬到火山顶端。
So, if I'm not able to keep the camera going the entire time we are here then it'll all be for nothing.
所以,如果我无法让相机在我们在这里的整个时间里一直开着,那么这一切都将是徒劳的。
It's a camera specially designed for climbers and specially designed for environments like this.
这是一种专门为登山者设计的相机,专门为这样的环境设计的。
In the backpack we've got big battery packs, massive memory cards, allowing this thing to run for 10 hours at a time, constantly recording.
在这个背包里,我们有很大的电池包、巨大的记忆卡,可以让这家伙一次运行10个小时,不间断地记录。
It means we don't miss a second of action down in the crater and we can safely record
这意味着我们不会错过陨石坑下的每一秒,我们可以安全地记录下
everything that the scientists are doing down there when they are collecting their samples.
科学家们在那里采集样本时所做的一切。
It isn't without its risks though, it means we are putting all of our filming responsibilities onto the scientists,
不过还是有风险的,就是说我们把所有的拍摄责任都交给了科学家,
onto the Gremlin camera and this can quite easily move out of the way, be knocked by a wire, a rock
交给了这位“麻烦像机”,但是这台摄像机很容易被改变方向,碰到电线、石头什么的,
and suddenly we missing the action cause the camera is pointing that way, rather than towards our scientists.
有时候我们会突然错过某个动作,因为摄像机没有对准我们的科学家,而是对准了别的方向。
Yeah we're just getting the automatic ascenders going.
嗯,我们先启动自动上升器。
That's a critical piece of equipment so we want to make sure those work, but it's beautiful up here and we got to get down fast.
这是一个很重要的设备,我们想确保这些工作顺利进行,这上面很漂亮,我们必须快速下去。
How are you feeling?
感觉怎么样?
Feeling. very excited, also a little nervous.
感觉……兴奋,还有点儿小紧张。
We know there's a fiery pit of lava down there and that's where we are here to go investigate.
我们知道那里有一个炽热的熔岩坑,那里就是我们要去调查的地方。