手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 美国名师英文词汇视频课程 > 正文

道路标志词汇的学习(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hoy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Welcome back to www.engvid.com.

欢迎来到英格威英语学习网。
Now, as a graduate of English Literature, I know full well that this is not the most prosaic,
作为一名英语文学的毕业生,我很清楚,就我要教的语言来说,英语不是最乏味的,
not the most interesting in terms of language that I will teach,
不是最有趣的语言。
but having been on the receiving end of parking, fines, etc. I know that understanding signs is very important.
但是我一直在寻找停车场,交罚款等等。我知道理解指示牌是很重要的事情。
So hopefully, I can save you money by you understanding these signs if you come to the United Kingdom or America or Australia,
如果你去英国,美国或澳大利亚,希望我教你的这些指示牌能帮你省钱,
so that we get these basic things right. Let's crack on. Street signs.
这样我们才能把这些基本的东西做好。让我们开始吧。街上的指示牌。
This is not a complete list of things you may see on streets or on walls, but there are a couple of things that I have noted down.
这并不是你在街上或墙上能看到的指示牌的完整清单,但我已经记下了一些。
No through road. Through - to go through, it means you come down this road, that's fine, but you can't go anywhere else.
此路不通。通过,意思是可以沿着这条路走,但你不能去别的地方。
This is a road to nowhere. Cue music. No trespassing.
这是一条没有出路的路。提示消息。禁止擅入。
To trespass means to wander, but it goes a little bit further than that.
非法侵入意味着游荡,但它比那还严重。
It means being on someone else's property, okay? I'll jot that down for you.
这意味着来到属于别人的房屋,明白吗?我给你记下来。
Being - and by the way, whilst I jot this down, maybe you should be doing the same.
顺便说下,在我记下的时候,也许你也应该写下来。
I've found that when I was building my vocabulary,
我发现,在我积累词汇的时候,
I had a little booklet arranged from A-Z, and any new words I came across, I would jot down.
我有一本从A-Z排列的小册子,我遇到的任何生词,我都会记下来。
I'd put the new word and then what the meaning was.
我先把新单词写出来,然后再把它的意思写出来。
So, it's a great idea if you don't already have something like that. Okay? No soliciting.
如果你还没有这样的东西,这是个好主意。好吧?谢绝推销。
These next two you're more likely to find in North America than you are in the United Kingdom.
接下来的两个你在北美比在英国更容易找到。
Soliciting is where you're kind of approaching for business.
拉客是一种做生意的方式。
You're trying to get someone to give you some money to do something.
你试图让某人给你一些钱去做某事。
It's not something we have a huge problem with.
这不是我们的大问题。
People tend to have asked for permission before they do things like that in the UK,
在英国,人们在做类似的事情之前往往会先征求同意,
but no soliciting means going around asking for money for some sort of business venture.
但它指的是四处为某种企业创业筹集资金。
No loitering. This is not a street sign, but it's in here anyway, okay?
禁止逗留。这不是路标,但它就在这里,好吗?
This is a sign I saw when I was in America in various different restaurants saying "No Loitering", which seems strange,
这是我在美国时在各种不同的餐馆看到的一个标志,上面写着“禁止逗留”,这听起来很奇怪,
because you sort of go into a restaurant to have a nice time and relax and talk to people, but apparently you can't do that.
因为你可以去餐馆享受美好的时光,放松,和人们交谈,但显然你不能这样做。
Quite why anyone would want to loiter in a fast food restaurant, I'm not sure, but anyway.
我不知道为什么会有人想在快餐店里逗留,但不管怎样,我不确定。
Loiter - to hang around for more time than you are expected to. Parking.
闲逛,逗留比你预期的更多的时间。停车场。
These are the really important ones.
这些才是真正重要的。
Parking fine in some cities in the UK could cost you 65 pounds, okay,
在英国的一些城市,停车罚款可能要65英镑,
if you don't pay it within two weeks, it doubles, 130 pounds, that's quite a lot of money.
如果你不在两周内还钱,它就会翻倍,达到130英镑,这是一大笔钱。

道路标志词汇的学习(1).png

No return within. So, it might say something like, you can park here for 20 minutes for free,

不能在限定时间内回来。它可能是说,你可以在这里免费停车20分钟,
but then don't come back for another four hours, okay? So, you can't just keep going there and coming back.
但四个小时后才能回来,好吗?所以,你不能一直停到那里,然后再次回来停车。
You have to leave time in between. No loading.
你必须留出时间。不能装卸。
What that means is you may want to watch my - quick digression -
这意味着你可能想看我的——简短的离题——
you may want to watch my phrasal verbs video on driving, because this kind of - there's a link.
你可能想看我关于驾驶的动词短语视频,因为这种,有一个链接。
Anyway, no loading means I pull in and I stop and I may be going quickly get something from the shop,
不管怎样,不能装货意味着我把车停在那里,然后我可能会很快地去商店买东西,
or I pull in and I have some bags to give to a charity shop, to a thrift store, I quickly take my bags out.
或者我把车停在路边,我有一些包要捐给慈善商店,或者捐给旧货店,我很快就把包拿出来。
But that sign says "No, no, no, no, you can't do that here, sorry, Jim".
但是那个牌子上写着“不,不,不,不,你不能在这里这么做,对不起,吉姆”。
Okay, moving on? Right. Permit holders only.
好吧,继续吗?仅供获准者停放。
If you live in certain areas, you will be eligible, that means you can have, you are entitled to a permit.
如果你住在某些地区,你就有资格,这意味着你可以,你有资格获得许可证。
That means you put it in your car and it says hello, I can park here for free because I live here.
意思是你把它放在你的车里,它会说你好,我可以免费停车,因为我住在这里。
So, a sign that says "Permit holders only" means you can only park here for free if you have one of these signs.
所以,一个写着“只有许可证持有人”的标志意味着,如果你有一个这样的东西,你才能在这里免费停车。
Otherwise, you're going to get a dirty great big fine.
否则,你会得到一大笔肮脏的罚款。
Road signs. This is for UK road signs. It will be different in other countries.
路标。这是英国的路标。其他国家的情况会有所不同。
A blue circle means something you must do.
蓝色圆圈表示你必须做的事情。
For example, if there were some arrows going around and we drive this way round the roundabouts, by the way,
例如,如果有一些箭头在周围,顺便说一下,我们沿着环形路开车,
we go this way, it means you need to round the roundabout, don't go straight across it or there will be some death.
我们走这条路,这意味着你需要绕着环岛走,不要直接穿过它,否则会有人死亡。
Next one, a red circle with something in the middle, this is something you mustn't do.
下一个,一个中间有东西的红色圆圈,这是你不能做的事情。
Prize for guessing what's in my circle there.
猜我的圈子里有什么,猜对有奖品。
What is it, fish? Bits? It's actually, you've got a car there and you've got a motorbike there, would you believe it? Yep.
它是什么,鱼?比特吗?实际上,你在那里有一辆汽车,你在那里有一辆摩托车,你相信吗?是的。
Well, that would mean no cars, no motorbikes, no motorized vehicles at all, just bicycles here, thanks.
嗯,那就意味着禁止汽车,禁止摩托车,禁止机动车,只有自行车可以,谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
venture ['ventʃə]

想一想再看

n. 冒险,风险,投机
v. 尝试,谨慎地做,

联想记忆
wander ['wɔndə]

想一想再看

vi. 徘徊,漫步,闲逛,迷路,蜿蜒
vt.

 
certain ['sə:tn]

想一想再看

adj. 确定的,必然的,特定的
pron.

 
entitled [in'taitld]

想一想再看

adj. 有资格的,已被命名的 动词entitle的过去

 
permission [pə'miʃən]

想一想再看

n. 同意,许可,允许

联想记忆
permit ['pə:mit,pə'mit]

想一想再看

n. 许可证,执照
v. 允许,许可

联想记忆
charity ['tʃæriti]

想一想再看

n. 慈善,慈善机关(团体), 仁慈,宽厚

联想记忆
minutes ['minits]

想一想再看

n. 会议记录,(复数)分钟

 
prosaic [prəu'zeiik]

想一想再看

adj. 散文的,单调的,无趣的

联想记忆
trespass ['trespəs]

想一想再看

n. 非法侵入,罪过,[法]侵害诉讼 v. 非法侵入,侵

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。