All the melody on earth is concentrated in my Jane's tongue to my ear
凡我能听到的世间美妙的音乐,都集中在简的舌头上,
(I am glad it is not naturally a silent one):
我很高兴它不是天生的沉默
all the sunshine I can feel is in her presence."
凡我能感开到的阳光,都全聚在她身上。”
The water stood in my eyes to hear this avowal of his dependence;
听完他表示对别人的依赖,我不禁热泪盈眶。
just as if a royal eagle, chained to a perch, should be forced to entreat a sparrow to become its purveyor.
他仿佛是被链条锁在栖木上的一头巨鹰,竟不得不企求一只麻雀为它觅食。
But I would not be lachrymose: I dashed off the salt drops, and busied myself with preparing breakfast.
不过,我不喜欢哭哭啼啼,抹掉带咸味的眼泪,便忙着去准备早餐了。
Most of the morning was spent in the open air.
大半个早上是在户外度过的。
I led him out of the wet and wild wood into some cheerful fields:
我领着他走出潮湿荒凉的林子,到了令人心旷怡艳的田野。
I described to him how brilliantly green they were;
我向他描绘田野多么苍翠耀眼,
how the flowers and hedges looked refreshed; how sparklingly blue was the sky.
花朵和树篱多么生气盎然,天空又多么湛蓝闪亮。
I sought a seat for him in a hidden and lovely spot, a dry stump of a tree;
我在一个隐蔽可爱的地方,替他找了个座位,那是一个干枯的树桩。
nor did I refuse to let him, when seated, place me on his knee.
坐定以后,我没有拒绝他把我放到他膝头上。
Why should I, when both he and I were happier near than apart?
既然他和我都觉得紧挨着比分开更愉快,那我又何必要拒绝呢?
Pilot lay beside us: all was quiet.
派洛特躺在我们旁边,四周一片寂静。
He broke out suddenly while clasping me in his arms: --
他正把我紧紧地楼在怀里时突然嚷道:
"Cruel, cruel deserter!
“狠心呀,狠心的逃跑者!
Oh, Jane, what did I feel when I discovered you had fled from Thornfield, and when I could nowhere find you;
呵,简,我发现你出走桑菲尔德,而又到处找不着你,
and, after examining your apartment, ascertained that you had taken no money, nor anything which could serve as an equivalent!
细看了你的房间,断定你没有带钱,或者当钱派用处的东西,我心里是多么难受呀!
A pearl necklace I had given you lay untouched in its little casket;
我送你的一根珍珠项链,原封不动地留在小盒子里。
your trunks were left corded and locked as they had been prepared for the bridal tour.
你的箱子捆好了上了锁,像原先准备结婚旅行时一样。
What could my darling do, I asked, left destitute and penniless?
我自问,我的宝贝成了穷光蛋,身边一个子儿也没有,她该怎么办呢?
And what did she do? Let me hear now."
她干了些什么呀?现在讲给我听听吧。”
Thus urged, I began the narrative of my experience for the last year.
于是在他的敦促之下,我开始叙述去年的经历了。